1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking Of A Vintera 50's Tele...Any Negatives?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DennisM, Dec 25, 2020.

1. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

I can't get to a music place, closest being 4 hours each way. Looking at the sunburst Vintera 50's Tele, not the modified ones. Any owners advise against it?

2. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

That’s basically (from what I understand) the renamed Baja telecaster, and that gets almost universally positive reviews, so I am afraid I can’t help you...

stnmtthw and DennisM like this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The "regular" Vintera 50's Tele is basically the current version of the old Classic 50s Tele - I've only dabbled with them a bit as the neck is larger than the old Classic 50s model, which is not what I currently prefer for a neck, but the one or two that I had picked off the wall at Guitar Center were nicely made.

It's the Vintera 50's Modified Tele that is the current version of the Baja 50s Tele.

4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Wherever you get it from, check out their return policy. When I buy sight/unplayed I want to be able to get my money back if I'm not happy.

5. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Actually, I think the Vintera "standards" are essentially the old "Classic" line and the Vintera "modifieds" are pretty similar to the old Baja models.

I have seen some of the new Vintera 50s and really like them - especially the neck profile.

I think the biggest variable with Vinteras, as was the case with the Classic Series, is weight variability. I have a wonderful Classic 50s Esquire that weighs under 6.5 lbs, but have seen them and Teles up to 9 lbs.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    bluesguy62 and DennisM like this.
  6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’ve liked the ones I’ve tried in the stores. Most of the ones I tried were a little too heavy for my liking (like the Baja), but maybe they aren’t all like that. The big necks were wonderful, IMO. If the “standards” ARE the new version of the classic 50’s, then they went with a substantially larger neck for the Vinteras. I love the Fiesta red model. Beautiful guitar.

bluesguy62, Fiesta Red and DennisM like this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't cite any serious negatives; I don't think that's the way to look at it. That guitar is fairly universally recognized as a good instrument and good value for money. I don't think there are any serious faults, per se; it's juyst a matter of preferences. I have no idea if you like the neck (though like most Fender necks, it's pretty mainstream), the color, the pickups, etc. They're all fine, butonly you know if they're to your taste. Of course,m you can spend more and get slightly, or more than slightly, better...everything. But that doesn't make the Vintera negative in any way. My one concern is body weight, as you can't get a feel for that without having the particular instrument in your hands, which I guess can't happen. So that's a dice roll. I do not like heavy Teles. The body shape is already clunky enough without being overly hefty.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Big old neck with a glossy finish. Nice guitar if that’s your thing.

DennisM likes this.
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Same negatives you may have with any guitar bought sight unseen. You might not like the neck, you could hate the pickups, the fretwork could be subpar. My classic series strats have perfect frets, but I’ve heard other people occasionally have slight issues. All these can be ruled out, if you were able to play it first.

if I were looking for a guitar in the price range, I’d look for a used classic series first, for a much better deal, but the series has been solid for a long time.

and Vintera isn’t much more than a rename of a long-standing series.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    DennisM likes this.
  10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Nice guitar but priced a few hundred bucks too high with the crappy gig bag it comes with. Buy used or at a discount, and use the savings for a nice G&G hard case.

11. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

Body weight is 7 pounds 6 ounces on the one I'm eyeing at Sweetwater. I don't like heavy teles either, but this one isn't over the top heavy. I love big thick necks and vintage 7.25 radius and vintage frets. Seems the overall feedback here is that they're well made. I appreciate all the input. I was eyeing the 70th anni Broadcaster, but almost $2200 after tax is more than I can afford. Sounds like the Vintera is going to be the one.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  12. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

If you like the neck and pickups and/or can’t afford the American Original, it’s probably a good choice.

You get what you pay for, though.

The Vintera Modified wasn’t the right choice for me. I didn’t like the pickups or the gimmicky switching, it didn’t come with a tweed case, the tuners weren’t great, and I’m not sure about the nut. I’d want Nocasters, a tweed case, Gotoh SD91 tuners, a bone nut, and old school blend wiring. With parts and labor, it would have been about $1710 all in. I got a 70th Anniversary Broadcaster, which has even better pickups than the Nocasters, for $1720 all in. Which one retains its value?

As it is, I have a Classic ‘50s partscaster (Baja body, Fender Classic ‘50s replacement neck, and Fender hardware and pickguard). It has Nocasters, blend wiring, and Gotoh tuners and In-Tune brass saddles that cost about $750 to put together.

DennisM likes this.
  13. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You will love it then! I would ignore the 'buy used' advice. You asked about a very specific new model and used ones do not often come with a return policy like Sweetwater has. They have very good customer support. Enjoy playing that guitar when you get it!

RhythmFender, Bluesidae and howardlo like this.
  14. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

I just got one from Sweetwater a couple months ago. I kept looking for a good used Tele that had that neck, but I couldn’t find one in a color I liked. I got the Sonic Blue one and it was also listed at 7lb 6oz, but it feels a little heavier (although I haven’t weighed it yet).Not enough to be an issue, though. The neck is fabulous and the guitar pkays great. Glad I got it!

DennisM likes this.
  15. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

You won't know it truly until you exerience this particular guitar first hand, aka ... play it. People buy from Sweetwater not only for price, but because of their return policy. I say pull the trigger on the one you want.

DennisM likes this.
  16. 50hz

50hz TDPRI Member

I'll echo a lot of the other comments about making sure the return policy is good.

As far as the guitar itself, I've played them for a few moments at stores and remember liking them, finish seemed good and sounded nice. I have a classic 50s lacquer and the new vintera necks are def. chunkier, which I like. Wish they made a nitro version without the relicing. I do balk at the price a bit but that's just the nature of the game at this point so not a huge deal.

Also I'm seeing one on Sweetwater at 7lb 2oz, not bad at all.

DennisM likes this.
  17. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Yep, I had a sunburst Vintera 50s Tele. I loved its chunky neck, and it was also a great sounding and playing guitar. I kind of regret getting rid of it, but I like my Thinlines, and when the opportunity came up for me to buy a Britt Daniel Tele Thinline (which has a semi-chunky Deep C neck - I prefer my guitars to have necks with a decent amount of heft to them), at a decent price at a local guitar shop. To make the deal happen, I had to trade my Vintera 50s Tele to help pay for the Britt Daniel Thinline, so I traded my Vintera 50s Tele, towards the Britt Daniel Thinline.

If you want a Tele with a decently chunky neck (the neck profile is shades of a '52 Reissue), that doesn't have a V-Profile (not everybody likes a V-shape neck - I know I don't), sounds good, and won't put you in the poor house to buy it, you can't go wrong with a Vintera 50s Tele.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    RhythmFender and nicknklv like this.
  18. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

The couple of Vintera I have played had really bad fret ends. Inexcusable for the price. I had a squier affinity that had smoother fret ends.

19. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

If you like the vintage specs (fat neck, lower output PUPs, 7.25” radius board), I think you’ll be happy with the Vintera 50s range. Really they are the only option for vintage specs in this price range (unless you search for a deal on a used MIJ online).

I’ve got one in Fiesta Red and think it’s a great guitar all around. I do agree with the above post that the gig bag they come with is cheap. It should be a hard case (or at least a quality bag) for a $900 new. Mine had a couple of slightly high frets which required some filing...but those issues are luck of the draw on these production line guitars. Other than these minor complaints, I love mine and have received quite a few compliments on it from other players.

sloppychops likes this.
  20. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I kept going back and trying the ones in the local store and then they sold them. Bah humbug. I preferred the modified one with the v neck and four way switch and 9.5 fretboard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.