1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking inside the box...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by johnnylaw, Apr 30, 2009.

1. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Hello folks.

I have a modest assortment of well made finger jointed cigar boxes that I was thinking of converting into novelty mini amps.

Can anybody recommend a good source for 3", 4", and 5" speakers that would work well for electric guitar?

Also, I would be interested in some good little amp circuits (solid state would be OK for this) that have been used with success. The best tone possible from such a bizarre configuration would be a goal here. I'm thinking from about 1/4 to a couple of watts. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. dale_c

dale_c Tele-Meister

This sounds like an awesome project. I also have some of these boxes laying around and would appreciate if you would share this build with us.

3. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

I would say that they'd be a great contender for the Firefly and other low-wattage projects to be found over at AX84.com. I've always been interested in building some of those, and I happen to have a modest stash of nice cigar boxes too. I think it's a great idea! It'll go in line right behind that spring reverb I've been wanting to build.

As to speakers I really don't think they make many speakers in that size range that would be particularly good for guitar. I'd hit up garage sales and look for bookshelf speakers in that range. They won't be perfect, but they might add mojo of their own.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

You'd be surprised how well small speakers work for small amps. I've been using vintage alnico 6x9s in Champs lately. They're bright little speakers. I expect a Princeton or a Deluxe would sound lousy through one and at the same time it would be more amp than the speaker could handle. It turns out they're one of those "Where have you been all my life?!" tones in a Champ.

A tweed Champ gets thicker and darker as you turn it up. A brighter speaker combined with a dark amp is a perfect combination. An added "bonus" is that the 6x9s break up almost instantly. The net effect sounds like a cranked Super Lead with tormented 25 watt Greenbacks, I get overdrive and singing sustain you'd swear came from three or four gain stages with an overdrive in front. No pedals, two 12AX7 sections... and with a Telecaster!

BF and SF Champs won't scream like tweeds.

5. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

So far I've been accumulating a few bits, and I'm getting there. Bagged a cool little mini-amp off Fleabay that may have potential.

I'm still in need of a speaker source. Help, anyone?

muchxs: look for my PM.

Thanx

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

check out old car speakers available at junkyards everywhere !!! old Alamo, Gretsch etc used car speakers (6x9)

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Bits one of these, or similar -
    [​IMG]

8. BobHolland

BobHolland Tele-Meister

I've been getting mine from a TV repair shop. TV's that can't be repaired usually have decent speakers. Cost is usually cheap of free.

9. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.