1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking in building a tweed amp - 1st timer

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tube.tone, Jul 23, 2009.

1. swaptronics

swaptronics TDPRI Member

Tweed amp first build

2. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Tele-Holic

This is probably a good idea. The back particleboard panel on the V8 is glued in, you just have to knock it out w/ a hammer.

My V8 got window dressing:

[​IMG]

3. fstempleton

fstempleton Tele-Meister

Any suggestions re which circuit to build into a Crate v8 chassis/cab? The Champ 5c1 and 5f1 are logical contenders, but any thoughts?

4. swaptronics

swaptronics TDPRI Member

5F2 Build

I built a 5F1 Champ kit from Marsh early this year. It was fun, but the tone wasn't quite what I was looking for. I built a 5F2 amp from scratch using the Triode Electronics 5F2 transformer bundle ( PT, Choke, OT $74.95 + s/h). these transformers are made right in Chicago by a 50-year old company to vintage specs! I used the standard 5F2A schematic, but left off the 10K 1W resistor and used the supplied choke instead. In addition, I removed the second 16ufd cap on the turret board coming feeding directly from the rectifier tube (you will only use 16-8-8 ufd caps). The important thing about a 5F2 with choke is to hook up the primary lead of the OT right at the junction of the 22K 1W resistor and choke. The tone is sweet and with the 1M volume and tone pots, you can dial in a whole range of sweet sounds. Turret board can be purchased from e-bay or Triode. Save your money on the filter caps and buy from Just Radios in Canada. He has the best prices. I don't use Sprague Atoms because they don't sound any better. The atoms are just a small cap housed is a large (air filled) case to make them look better. I do recommend orange dip caps for the .022 ufds and Spraque makes a good orange drop cap. I used a $4 baking pan for my chassis. Resistors can also be bought at Just Radios as he has the vintage carbon comp. ones like Allen Bradley, etc. I paid under $150 for the parts. I use an old Hammond 12" cabinet and the amp sits right on top of it. The speaker is a low cost Jensen Mod 12" made in Italy (8-ohm). The tweed princeton 5F2 is more than just a Champ with a tone control. Be sure to use the choke and hook it up properly. It blows any 5F2A princeton, blackface princeton, champ, or tweed champ away. It puts out about 5W of glorious tone. -Dave (a.k.a. swaptronics_tech). I posted some pictures on this bulletin board and can e-mail you some if you like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.