1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking in building a tweed amp - 1st timer

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tube.tone, Jul 23, 2009.

1. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

Hi guys, I would to get a tweed kit and build my first amp. Can you please give any advice based on your experience?

Weber and Tudedepot seams to have a decent ones and instruction seem clear.

Which model kit would you recommend for a first timer, tudebe depot tweed champ, weber 5F1, weber 5C1 ?

Thanks for any answers!

2. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I'd skip the champs and build a 5e3 or 5c3 instead. Much more useable amp and not much more work. Weber has a 10% sale going on right now.

3. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I'm wanting to do a build, as well, and I'm thinking 5E3 for more horsepower.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

5F2 can be more fun than a 5F1. It's almost the same circuit but it's easier to work inside the bigger chassis.

If I had to choose between 5F1 and 5C1 I'd go for the 5F1.

A 5E3 might seem simple until you read "noob needs help!" threads.

5. guitar1amp2000

guitar1amp2000 Tele-Meister

There are NO instructions with a Weber kit, only a schematic and a physical drawing. If you can work from this limited information Weber kits are ok. You may want to consider upgrading some of the components as they are not all top of the line (pots/tubes). The one kit I got from them, a 5E7, came with a solid state rectifier that plugged into the tube socket where a 5U4 could go. The tube rectifier is one big element in the classic tweed sound. For the price, not a bad buy.

6. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, I can't do it without step by step instructions. That's why I think the tube depot kit might be a good starting point. Any other options?

7. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

+1.

Unless you're mainly building an amp for fun or for apartment use - a 5E3 Deluxe is nearly as simple as 5F1 Champs or 5F2 Princetons and a bit louder... though Champs are ridiculously loud for 5 watt amps and still might p!$$ off the neighbors :)

8. MeanGreenBlues

MeanGreenBlues Tele-Meister

Champs are really cramped in the chassis. Simpler circuit, but much less space.

Here are the two amps...5F1 Champ:

[​IMG]

And the 5E3:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

9. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

There is any step by step instructions available for the 5E3?

10. JCMNelson

JCMNelson TDPRI Member

I built the 5E3 as a first build (with LOADS of help and NO instructions) and it's a blinding amp :D

I used it for the first time at band practice last night and I absolutely love it. It's really versatile as well, as you can swap out the 12AX7's for other 12A?7 type valves to drop the volume (really loud!) and soften it up. I've got a 12AT7 and a 12AY7 in it at the moment and it's perfect for me...

As per photo's above, space was absolutely no issue either.

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

That mutant sky blue 5E3 I built is being used in a condo, possibly as we speak.

Dude wanted nice cleans, we all know the story about nice cleans from a 5F1... they're in there but more is always better! :lol: So I whipped up a Deluxe out of "this and that" including an old alnico speaker I had and it turned out pretty good. Nice cleans and lots of 'em which isn't usually a 5E3's strong point...

I'm working towards another batch of "5F1s". I've built five cabinets in this recent round, I have six chassis... it looks like the 7591 "Champ" I've had on the back burner is going to get done.

I still see noobs get in trouble on 5E3 builds all the time. Then again I see noobs get in trouble on amp builds all the time. A little theory goes a long way, for instance it's good to be able to sort out tube functions or trace the signal path. Otherwise they're just painting by numbers. Which one would you prefer... the painting that's screwed to the wall in a Super 8 motel room or the Picasso you paid fifteen bucks to see?!! :lol:

12. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

My first build was a 5f2-a with a weber chassis and board. I ordered everythign else a-la-carte. No instructions, just the layout from the schematic and pics of actual princetons for reference. Was very easy and worked out well.

I am doing a 5e3 now and aside from making the tag board myself, it isnt more complicated that the Princeton (just more soldering to do)

13. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

I built a Weber 5F2-A. I had zero amp building experience and hardly knew how to plug in a soldering iron. Yes, I had LOTS of help from the fine folks here, but it really wasn't that difficult.

I can't say anything about the other kits you are considering, but I wouldn't shy away from Weber.

14. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

15. Fontane57

Fontane57 Tele-Meister

check out STF ELECTRCHAMP HEAD KIT

A totally new kit with all parts and a Hammond 1444-16

chassis using a 5Y3 rectifier, a 6V6GT output tube, and a

12AX7 preamp. Kit is built as a mini head, using proven

Champ type circuitry with including a tube type rectifier

and can be custom fit into your own custom cabinet.

Kit includes all parts including a copy of the new book,

Building Your Own Guitar Amp by Pat Bunn,

a primer on building an inexpensive guitar amplifier.

This book is a descriptive, illustrated text on building the above kit from

scratch, and includes a step by step tutorial illustrated with color photographs. easy to build , and sounds good .

http://www.stf-electronics.com/ scroll down till you see listing

16. gayler

gayler Tele-Meister

I have this kit and the book is a big help.

17. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

I have been studding the idea of building a 5E3, Despite the fact that comparing with the champ a 5e3 will be more prone to caught my wife's attention.

If I am correct, 5C3 is pretty similar to 5E3 just uses octal pre amp tubes instead 12A*7. Any thoughts on Adjustable bias, recommended?

The mission amp kit looks good, only con I see is that I am looking for a power transformer with both European and American taps. Since I might get back to my country soon.

Weber seams to have that option, although I don't know any details on component types like capacitors. I not sure if the chassis is pre drilled to accommodate board and transformers. I have shoot an email to see if I get some answers.

What capacitors would you recommend? Orange drops, sozo, pio any special attention here?
    In terms of speker I thinking that a Weber 12A150 might suit well this amp.

I'm looking forward to transform this topic in a amp build Diary!

18. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

I built a Marsh amps 5E3 deluxe which came with good instructions and good quality components. Great service and back up - had a postal issue (speaker damaged in transit) which was fixed straight away with no grief - very impressive given that I live in Australia!

19. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

You could buy Dave Hunter's "The Guitar Amp Handbook", which not only has TONS of useful info for tube amp newbies, but also includes detailed instructions for building the "Two Stroke" amp (kind of a beefed-up Tweed Princeton).
    There used to be a kit for this available from Weber, now the kit is supplied by Victoria (at a ridculously high price...), but you could simply order all the parts from the parts list individually from Weber (that way, you could also upgrade the pots and jacks to better ones), at a much lower cost; Weber also has transformers that will work both with US and Euro voltages.

Here's a Myspace page with Two Stroke soundclips: http://www.myspace.com/twostrokeampkits

20. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I'd go with Sozos for the caps and a Weber 12A125 for the speaker, or the Sig series alnico.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.