Thinking Bout Another Mandolin

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
I miss mine badly. I first got an Eastman 305 A style and sold it, it was ok a little too bright for my likes and then I bought a Pava A style, I really liked as it was a mellower sound but I sold it to get another acoustic. Now I'm on the verge of getting a Northfield Calhoun that should be woody and mellower... A mandolin just brings any genre to a whole new dimension

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
Pure acoustic for me and A style…I’d hate to look like a bona fide one genderer lol

Mandocaster68

Tele-Meister
Good call on the Northfield. I haven't handled the Calhoun model, but every Northfield I've ever picked up was 'keeper' quality. If I were in the market for another flat top mando, a Calhoun would be the first thing I'd look for.

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
My best friend passed away a couple of years ago and left me this and his Strat and 12-string. He had a very nice, expensive F-style but I never saw him play it once in 30+ years. This was his player. I’m OK on it.
image.jpg

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
I might pull the trigger on the wide nut Calhoun, just wanting a mellower tone over too bright attack. Just bought another acoustic to be delivered Monday and I'm just a home player nowadays and I really need to buy more, yeah sure smh

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
7E17FCD6-F17E-4096-95C8-EA110DDF2F35.jpeg
99412463-1B66-4739-99E5-F52FCD51A447.jpeg
8593B00A-F0CF-4BEB-85BB-C799E44B2D42.jpeg
I bought this Calhoun last year. I have a Breedlove USA A model that’s wonderful but I was missing my Flatirons army navy flattop I had years ago. This reminds me of my Flatirons only better. I don’t play bluegrass so this is great for ethnic and folk stuff. It has the wide neck like my Breedlove so if your a guitarist first it feels great. These are hand made in Michigan. I bought mine like new on Reverb from a guy who thought it would be easier to play then guitar with his arthritis. $899 with wide neck, pickguard, arm rest, hard case, and hand tooled Northfield strap!! Very loud and sweet but it doesn’t “chop”. Highly recommended!

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
I still think the best mandolin I have ever owned is the Strad-O-Lin. The first time the name pops up is in the 1930s and early-1940s. Mine is date stamped 1941. Problem is nobody has a clue who made them. These have a small but hard core following and when I hung out at the Mandolin Cafe years ago trying to figure out who built them was a major topic of discussion. Guesses ranged from Favilla (the builder's son though later claimed his father did not make them) to one of the members of the NYC Italian Guild. The higher quality instruments are easy to pick out as they sported a curved script logo.

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
When to comes to downright sexy looks in an A style mandolin, it is hard to beat a Recording King. If you ever wanted to know where firestripe pickguards got their name this mando will show you. It is now pretty much a lost art.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
My best friend passed away a couple of years ago and left me this and his Strat and 12-string. He had a very nice, expensive F-style but I never saw him play it once in 30+ years. This was his player. I’m OK on it. View attachment 1032783
Good flattops are highly underrated — which in English means affordable.

I'm a big fan of Big Muddy.

Last edited: