Thinking about trading my Les Paul…

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
Not this one?

7680124B-A735-404B-862D-34E02BB81436.jpeg

Should sell in a heartbeat! The humanity! That thing is insane!

Alaska Mike

TDPRI Member
A great LP is a needle in a haystack. I searched for one for a while and gave up.
This, x100. I have looked and looked, and eventually settled for less than love.

What I would do is take the Les Paul, remove the strings, clean it really well, lemon oil the fretboard, put on new strings, and then put it in its case in a pristine condition. Don't sell it. Store it in a location that is environmentally stable. In a few days, weeks, months, years... when you get GAS again, pull it out and play it. It will likely be NGD all over again. Tastes change over time, and Gibsons hold their value. The reason I bought the Les Paul I did was because I knew I could flip it if I didn't bond with it- which I didn't.

If this Les Paul truly is a "good one", it will be harder to find than another PRS of equivalent quality.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
Every single damn time I think I'm "done with a sound" and get rid of a piece of gear, I discover a year to two years later that I'm definitely not done with that sound.
That's the problem though, "every year or 2" is often all there is. I sold my 12 string Rickenbacker recently for an American Professional 2 Telecaster (I already have an 83 standard) and have played it every day since. The Rick just sat there for many years. Unless you're Roger McGuinn and its your main guitar. I won't sell my 76 Les Paul Deluxe or 79 Country Gentleman but they sound like variations on the Tele sound.
But if its a niche sound you could get something you'll actually use. I've wanted
another Strat since I have none at the moment but I know it will sit there compared to the Tele so I won't pull the trigger

JDB2

Tele-Holic
If you do decide to get a Rick 620, I bought a brand new one a few months ago and can confirm they are rock-solid guitars. The price to build quality ratio is really good. Factory fretwork and setup was top notch.

Ricks are not always liked by everyone but I assume you already know something about them if you are considering trading for one. I've owned a 360 and I actually prefer the tone and feel of the solid body 620. Snappier articulation and much more sustain. Awesome bright, bell-like tone, really. Nothing sounds like a good Rick (although Teles can get close sometimes).

Last edited:

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I started guitar on an old cheap LP clone. I could never find a LP that I bonded with. I was so desperate, I bought an old Yamaha SG (the infamous LP killer). It was much better, but I eventually sold it too. My wife has a fairly modern Gibby LP Studio that I could play anytime I want, but I never do. No interest at all. Even I think it is weird not to have one, but I have no idea what to do with the thing. In seconds, I could think of 10 types of electric guitars that I don’t have that I would consider before a LP. Some of my guitar heroes play LPs, but nada for me.

Sell that thing and buy a guitar that you will play and inspire you.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
You'll never know how much you'll miss me when I'm gone would that work in a song about well, romance or being the fool on the barstool?
keeping the L.P. and waiting for a Tele, :rolleyes:either or is a stresser., but if you dump the L.P. for a Tele and come to regret it no one will laugh at your :cry:suffering around here, :lol::lol::lol::lol::D:p

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
Haven’t made a decision. But it’s a possibility. I haven’t played it at all on a gig since I got my Silver Sky. Not even once. It just sits in my living room and collects dust. I picked it up the other day and whacked on it for a minute. It’s an awesome LP. Plays like a million bucks. Looks beautiful. Sounds killer. I’m just no longer interested in that sound.

Part of me says I should just keep it. Cause it’s a really good one. And this way if I ever want to play a Les Paul again, I don’t have to buy one. Part of me says I could swap it for something I’d actually use.

I have a hankering for a cool Tele. Also have a hankering for a Ric 620. I don’t think I could get the Ric, but I’m sure I could find somebody who would swap me a cool Tele straight up. I just don’t know. I guess I’ll sleep on it indefinitely.
My first consideration when I'm thinking about letting anything go is what it will cost to replace it. If the LP is as nice as you say, that could be quite a lot. That's probably why I have 30+ guitars.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Haven’t made a decision. But it’s a possibility. I haven’t played it at all on a gig since I got my Silver Sky. Not even once. It just sits in my living room and collects dust. I picked it up the other day and whacked on it for a minute. It’s an awesome LP. Plays like a million bucks. Looks beautiful. Sounds killer. I’m just no longer interested in that sound.

Part of me says I should just keep it. Cause it’s a really good one. And this way if I ever want to play a Les Paul again, I don’t have to buy one. Part of me says I could swap it for something I’d actually use.

I have a hankering for a cool Tele. Also have a hankering for a Ric 620. I don’t think I could get the Ric, but I’m sure I could find somebody who would swap me a cool Tele straight up. I just don’t know. I guess I’ll sleep on it indefinitely.

Tough decision - it seems like there are a few questions to ask yourself:
  • What kind of LP is it - less expensive mode/more expensive model and what is the current market for it?
  • How long did it take for you to find it, and/or how much did you have to do to this one to get it to this point?
  • Could you easily replace it if you decide that you're back in the mood for an LP?
It sounds like you've had the LP for a while and have enjoyed using it up until you made the switch to the Silver Sky. I would probably hang on to it for a while longer to make sure you've reached that point where you're never going to pick up the LP (or an LP-type guitar) again because you're probably still in an extended honeymoon period with the Silver Sky.

drewg

Tele-Holic
I never owned a Les Paul until a few years ago. I traded a friend of a friend my mongrel 1963 Jazzmaster for a mint condition 1999 LP Classic with 57 Classic pickups. A win win situation as far as I was concerned. Over the last year I’ve thought about selling it because I don’t play it much. My wife told me not to reason being that “Everybody needs a Les Paul”. I’ve since put in a set of DiMarzio Air Classics and enjoy the hell out of it. Just sayin”

I wish my wife told me, “Everyone needs a Les Paul.” (She does have other virtues, though.)

JDB2

Tele-Holic
My LP (a beat up 1990s Studio) is my least played guitar (Rick 12 string is a close second) but it is staying put. It doesn't hurt that it sounds and plays waaaaaay above its $ value.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

Do we get a photo of the Les Paul?

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted

I like the idea of giving it some time before deciding. There may come a time 6 months or a year down the road where you need an LP sound, or really feel like you want to play a guitar with an LP sound.

So many times I've set a guitar aside for quite awhile, let's say it's a Gibson, and played another guitar mostly, like a Telecaster. When I pickup that Gibson again I wonder why I set it down and I'll feel like playing longer and the guitar will inspire some new licks, arrangements or songs.

An LP is one of the essential sounds of electric guitar. However so is a Tele.

Last edited: