Thinking about this CS Nocaster

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Oct 16, 2019.

1. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

My guess is it was a case queen.

My white necks have ambered over the years but I don't keep them in the case.

2. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Get that serial number and call Fender consumer ..... rolling eyes...

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Whether the guitar is legit or not, the angle of that logo is strange to my eye. That would be enough to dissuade me from being interested. It simply does not look correct to me. Ommv..but 8mho they should have put the logo at a proper angle.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  4. Wally

Like This....

[​IMG]

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I disagree.

I think that's the way a typical 2007 CS No-Caster would look, if sequestered in a case.

But.

I am pretty darned sure that this guitar has 6230 wire and a 7.25 board radius. That was the Default specifications and would remain so until the Batches approach started in I think mid year 2009.

What's more, that 1963 model he's talking about would also be 6230 and 7.25 so if they're the same, neither would suit you.

Talk to Fender Arizona before you gas up to go there.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My '06 FCS No-Caster gets played but heck, I have scores of other guitars and so in truth, yeah, it is in the case 99% of the time - and it hasn't been out in direct sun in a decade.

The neck on this No-Caster is the whitest neck of any guitar I own today.

SASouth likes this.
  7. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

I pulled my Shop Floor Traveler out and here is what the specs are of my 11/07/2006 51 Nocaster Closet Classic says.

Note it is part of the Time Machine series, that means it has been made / manufactured using the original Fender jigs and equipment.
    Serial number R601x date of COA 11/07/2006 - Description on COA 1951 NOCASTER CLoset Classic
    Body: Premium ASH
    Neck: U Shape ( Baseball bat - this is my comment)
    Nitro lacquer
    Fingerboard radium 7.25 "
    21 Vintage style frets
    Nut width : 1.650 "
    Pick guard: 1 ply black
    Pickups : 2 Custom NOCASTER Tele Vintage
    Color : Honey Blonde
    Cases : Tweed thermometer Gold interior , Standard Molded case ( black interior)
    Introduced : 1/1999
    Discontinued : 12/2008
    US MSRP $ 3,592.00

Another note: The Logo on this guitar is exactly placed like the one on the guitar the OP showed us in his first post.

8. Wally

Regarding the logo, it is not at the angle I have seen on the old Blackguards I have owned or looked at. I have owned a Broadcaster and a 1953 Telecaster. The picture I showed above is of a vintage Nocaster....it looks the way I would expect to see a vintage headstock look with regard to the angle of the logo. I don’t recall seeing any pics of vintage blackguards...or any other Tele....with such an angle. Anything can happen at a factory , tough....and perhaps they found an oddball guitar from way back and cloned that angle????. I personally don’t like the logo placement....and as noted....ommv. I’ll have to take a look at The Blackguard book tonight when I get home to see if any of those examples have such an angle. Both of my Blackguards went to Nacho. The ‘53 was a tone monster...best Tele I have ever played.

9. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Here is a picture of my 2006 NOCASTER.. Have a look at the placement of the Logo.

IMG_5240.JPG

NewKid likes this.
  10. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

I wouldn't get too hung up on the logo placement. One time I replaced a neck on '57 RI Precision bass, and I wanted to make sure I put the decal in the right spot, so I did some research and looked at a bunch of pictures of actual late '50s P-basses, and the decals are all over the place... This got me to pay attention to the decal placement on other Fender guitars, and it doesn't look like anybody's carefully measuring the placement of the decal on every single guitar. That would take too much time, and if you've ever applied a waterslide decal to a headstock, you know that you can only be so precise about placement. The logo is in the position it is because that's where the person doing the decals that day decided to put it. I think as long as it's on the headstock (and not hanging off the edge, or something) they call it good.

Piggy Stu and Telekaster like this.
  11. Wally

I like the old guitar’s logo placement. It is what I am accustomed to seeing on old guitars from Fender. A review of The Blackguard book confirms my memory. I found no logos with the ‘r’ that close to the bottom edge of the headstock. In particular, the Nocasters shown from p.130 through p.153 are nothing like this. This is why these tilted logos look weird to me and would look strange to my eye. No biggie.....I don’t play logos. However, if I were presented with a guitar that someone claimed was a real Nocaster and it had a logo at that angle, I would be looking even harder than I was before I saw the logo. Details, details, details......
    and this details has nothing to do with whether or not a CS Nocaster is a good guitar. The ones I have set up were far superior to any other modern day produced Fender Tele. I do not remember taking exception to the logo placement on those, though?? at ay rate....play on....

12. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

For some reason I envision a gaggle of software engineers or IT types all buying "cool" hats and instruments to start a blooooze dad-band. And his wife has other plans for his music corner. :D

13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

To be fair I was a touring musician well before I started a career in IT.:)

Wally and Art VanDelay like this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I don't know the spec of a guitar when i buy it. I just know it played great

I player a heavy relic nocaster once. No idea how it was on spec, but it didn't ring my bell

15. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

Fender will send the guitar build sheet with all specs. I read that logo placement on original Nocasters wasn’t very consistent... I would be worried with that.

It’s pretty easy to tell if a Nocaster is legit, the router dots in the back, the relic stanp engraved under the pick guard and neck heel inside face, the neck pocket lip, etc...

With that been said, I have a 51 reissue “closet classic” from time machine series, fantastic guitar, great sound even unplugged. Straight vintage spec on mine, frets, radius and vintage blending wiring too which I love!

I replaced the original .05uf dark position cap with a .0047uf which makes the neck on dark mode sound like if a strat and a Gib 335 had a baby! The neck sound straight with no load/tone is stellar and bridge with the blended neck sounds like no other Tele...

It’s funny, I was happy to see that custom shop now offers this scheme on some Nocasters, they call it “modded vintage wiring” I think...

005DD6D6-AE67-42BC-898B-6F4F65482712.jpeg
    0A0622F2-4BC1-4D11-96C3-328079C0AF49.jpeg

16. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Looks like it sold. Did you get it?

17. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

He deleted the original ad and relisted. He relisted $100 less and added a pic of the guitar with the COA and a pic with out the bridge cover on.
    I've been talking to him quite a bit and have no reason to believe this guitar isn't legit. I'm going to be up in his area today and I may drop in to see it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/guel...os/1466791437?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Mudman32 and RYAN1987M like this.
  18. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Go and take a screwdriver with you.... Ask him if you can pop the neck.... It takes 5 minutes... you only have to take off 4 screws and you will know everything you want to know . Just check the stamps in the neck pocket on the body and on the back of the neck joint... there are date stamps and stamps from the folks ( names) of Fender Custom Shop employees.

If you had talked with Fender Consumer support, they would have sent you the Shop travel and you could find there the numbers of the neck and the body.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  19. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

There’s also the pressed “relic” stamp, all versions get it under pick guard, neck pocket and neck heel, even NOS finishes.... 18135978-7FE6-4644-BAAD-2A0F4F9F393E.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.