Thinking about this CS Nocaster

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Oct 16, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking about going to see this Nocaster. Its a 2007 that comes with the black case and the vintage looking tweed case. The owner said he thinks the guitar is 9.5 radius and 6105 frets. When I asked if he was sure he said yes he was sure. I know that most of the Nocasters from that time that came with the 2 cases were the vintage specs on the neck. A couple years ago I went to see one that I was assured was 9.5 radius and when I got there it wasn't. It was the same year, 2007.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1466163058

Just wondering if its possible to tell from the pics. The frets do look bigger to me. That neck looks awful white for a 12 year old guitar.

[​IMG]

2. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Get the serial number and call Fender Customer Service in Arizona , they will tell you how that guitar was built. Ask them if they email you the Shop Floor Traveler.

Here is the email address.

consumerrelations@fender.com

zammie, boris bubbanov and MilwMark like this.
  3. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like the owner is a fast spender and probably doesn't play guitar....just a wall hanger for a rock themed man cave. Ask if he can throw in a free teeth cleaning. :lol:

OldDude2 likes this.
  4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

This is the last message he sent me:

Its hard to fathom that someone with such a high end instrument doesn't know the specs. But I guess I understand there are players that don't concern them selves with such things.

Art VanDelay likes this.
  5. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The necks on almost any year NOS Nocaster are very, very white. I tried one a year or two ago, price was good, played good, just couldn't get past the white, white neck, so I passed on it.

6. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I have a tele with a fairly light neck so it doesn't bother me. Having said that I already have a guitar with a pale neck and would probably rather have one a little beat up with a darker neck. So I'll likely pass on this.

7. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

I have a 2000 and a 2006 NoCaster ( blonde and butterscotch) and they have yellow necks

8. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Something about that headstock just doesn't look right. I would pass, just for that reason.

9. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

No way of knowing? Is that your final answer or do you want to phone a friend? :lol:

10. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That headstock does look off to me too.

SweetClyde99 and Skydog1010 like this.
  11. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Maybe something is off. He won't give me the serial number and every picture he sends has the bridge cover on. But geez if he was trying to hide something you think he'd know the jig is up when I came to see it in person.
    The pictures he sent me the body looks really glossy like an american standard finish not a thin skin. Maybe he just polished it up before pictures. For a 12 year old guitar though, it looks like it just came out of the store new.
    And I see now the headstock looks a bit strange. The indent near the tip of the headstock looks slighty more V than my American Original. Is that what you're referring to? And maybe the logo looks slightly out of place.

12. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If he won't give you the serial number, he most likely doesn't want you checking with Fender, if it was me I wouldn't even bother to go see it.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Run a mile, then run another

SweetClyde99 and zephyrR1 like this.
  14. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn’t even considered consider myself vaguely knowledgeable.

But, having said that, that headstock just doesn’t vibe aesthetically for me. Something seems off. Both the general shape and the logo.

Trust your gut.

Pax/
    Dean

15. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

IMG_4678.JPG IMG_4683.JPG IMG_4610.JPG IMG_4613.JPG Here are a few of mine. Blonde on the left, butterscotch on the right hand side.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    VillainSean and golfnut like this.
  16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Attachment could not be found.

17. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted

i have a 2009. 9.5 radius neck, big frets, the two cases. That neck does look too white. Mine is tinted, but it also is a heavy relic.

18. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

I can accept the wear pattern on the instrument on the back of the neck....[in removing the Poly coating] behind the A fret..... [but only from constant playing for the life of the neck], however, am unsure how the wear pattern was created higher to the back neck profile in the F# and G frets?

Derek

P1180121.JPG

19. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Cowboy-thumb-over will do that after 40 years. So we have a relic-ed guitar, a 1951 RECREATION of an iconic guitar. I'll take it... in fact, I love the relic'ing now. In fact the neck plays wonderfully slick.
    Clearly, that treatment is not for everyone, that is good...
    This will gross you out but.. I have more than two handful's of Strats and Teles that have from ZERO to HEAVY Relic treatment. The necks are from baseball bat size to heavy C, all silked out on the back. That's show you what I think about how to be getting the most music out of a plank of wood with some hand wound old fashioned crafted pickups built on the old original equipment, warts and all.

20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

It turns out this guitar is legit. Very nice seller as well. I asked some invasive almost accusatory questions and he was completely nice through out. I thought I did ask him for the serial # but he pointed out I didn't. I thought I did and when every pic he emailed me had the bridge cover on I got suspicious. He did show me some other ads where Nocasters had the logo a bit low like his. I never really noticed that inconsistency before. Who would have thought. Fender not consistent on exact placement.
    Any way I may go down to see it this weekend in person.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.