1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about switching from Studio One to Logic

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by swervinbob, Mar 7, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. Although GarageBand and Logic share underpinnings they are very different. GarageBand is “Prosumer” and Logic is “Professional” which much more functionality. It seems counterintuitive but Logic is easier.
    I’ve been using Logic Pro X since it’s release around 2013 or 14. The best $200 I ever spent. It’s followed me through 3 Macs. (The second Mac (MBP) lost a battle with 8 ounces of hot coffee). Eight years of Logic updates at no cost is pretty amazing.
    More amazing is that I keep learning new features, shortcuts, etc.
    I wish I could use Richard Pryor’s classic quote in Silver Streak comparing cars to describe GarageBand and Logic but it would get me banned.
    Mac + Logic is “da bomb”.

swervinbob likes this.
  2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Basically I switched from Samsung phones to an iPhone a couple of years back because I kept breaking the curved screens (that they’ve now gotten rid of). This led to me buying an iPad. So, when I decided to get a new computer, I decided to try out an iMac.

I understand that, basically, all DAWs are similar with each having their own quirks. And I have no issues with S1, except that when they upgrade it costs money to follow (which is how they make money). And I don’t really have to do anything now, since everything still works fine.

T Prior likes this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Although they charge for each major Studio One update.... those only come once every 2 years.
    Their "dot 5" (eg: 3.5, 4.5, etc...) update is always massive... just as feature rich as any other DAW's major update and is always free.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure APPLE also charges for each major LOGIC update.

IMO... LOGIC is an industry Standard, almost as much as Pro Tools. Studio One is a rock solid DAW with a wonderful workflow. I don't think you can make a bad choice.... whichever choice you make.

This is my suggestion.... Go the LOGIC Route, but also install your license of Studio One 4.xxx. As you say, you don't NEED to upgrade Studio One.

4. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

I bought Logic Pro 9 in 2012, and Logic Pro X came out in 2013; I don't recall paying for that 'major' (i.e., version-number) update...

But even if I am misremembering, I know for a fact that all the versions since (we are now at 10.6.1) have been free. So that's at least more than seven and a half years of free updates in the 'Logic Pro X' (now just 'Logic Pro') era.

codamedia likes this.
  5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, from everything I’ve read, Logic updates are free.

codamedia likes this.
  6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Even if they do charge for an "11" version.... that's a lot of years of "free" incremental updates ;).

I don't know of any DAW that charges for their incremental updates... but yeah, 8 years and counting is a long time for a company to not dip back into pockets of it's customers.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I could stay with X with no need for updates other than compatibility.
    I’ve always wanted them to include a chord sequencer but I’ve given up on that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.