1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about switching from Studio One to Logic

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by swervinbob, Mar 7, 2021.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I started on S1 on a PC. Since then I’ve switched to a Mac. I still haven’t upgraded from S1 Pro 4.6 to S2 Pro 5. I was thinking about just going ahead and switching to Logic. I’m also in the UAD universe, but still not sure about Luna yet.

Whi knows. Maybe I’m just overthinking things.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  2. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never used S1 but I can recommend Logic. Protools and Logic are the most popular DAWs so you'll find lots of tutorials and resources.

catdaddy, Telekarster and kennl like this.
  3. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think as long as you are comfortable with a learning curve and do not have work that you will HAVE to port over (e.g. pro projects with budgets and clients and time constraints), I say go for it. There's something to one company making the whole shebang.

swervinbob likes this.
  4. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

I think if you don't have to spend money, don't.

Use GarageBand, should be free with your Mac. Then there are tons of free "VSTs" out there. Good stuff. Keyboards, guitar amps, speaker cabs, effects, utilities, etc...

5. swervinbob

Im already loaded up with VST’s and have Superior Drummer 3. I’m not sure whether to pay the $150 to upgrade from S1 pro 4.6 to 5 or go to Logic for $200. I was just thinking that since I’m already on a Mac, I might as well use their system. I may see how far Luna has come first. See whether they’ve added some features it was missing upon its release.

6. swervinbob

I’m probably just overthinking things. I never can leave well enough alone.

RevBillyG likes this.
  7. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Logic is the gift that keeps on giving. Time keeps uncovering new potential and possibilities. I made the switch from Pro Tools 8 a decade ago and have never looked back.

8. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

Well, start at the beginning: what kind of music do you make? Why do you make it? What use(s) do you make it for?

swervinbob likes this.
  9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Take GarageBand for a spin first, since you have that for free. See how you like it. Play around with the Drummer - it's great.

Logic will give you aux channels / busses, etc and a whole lot more, but GarageBand has the same basic functionality and layout, so you will get a sense of it.

Having Logic will also mean free updates (except maybe when serious hardware and app changes happen?).

Also, are you or anyone in your household in an academic field or a student? If so, see what Apple offers in your region (I am not sure, but I believe it varies). I got Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, MainStage, Motion and Compressor as an academic bundle for about the regular Logic price.

Pax/
    Dean

catdaddy and swervinbob like this.
  10. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You will want to check that all your plugins and VSTs have OS X (AU) versions for Logic Pro X. Never had the desire to try anything else.

I got my Macbook Pro about 6 months after I got my first interface back in 2011. I cannot recall using anything other than GarageBand and later Logic Pro X, so I suspect those first months (still on Win7) were spent fooling around in Audacity. Anything else would be lost in the mists of time. Which is the long way of saying I can't help you in comparing it with S1.

swervinbob likes this.
  11. swervinbob

I record my own blues-rock songs for myself and friends. I also like making pop and hip hop tracks just playing around. It’s just an expensive hobby for me. I’ve also helped a couple of friends demo a couple of songs, just to see how things fit together.
    I upgraded S1 to pro soon after I got it, because at the time, S1 Artist didn’t support aftermarket VST’s. That changed soon after that, but the pro version has a few extra features.
    I bought into the UAD system a few months ago and love the plugins. I’ve got plenty other plugins from Waves, etc, but since I started using mostly UAD, I’ve got just a few I go to now and my mixes are sounding better and better.
    So far, I’ve mainly just recorded different versions of the same songs, mixed them to practice, deleted and tried again. Things are starting to get to where I’m able to hear a big difference than when I started a couple of years ago.

12. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Logic all the way.

swervinbob likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Do it! You won’t be sorry. Logic is optimized to work on Mac’s. Which Mac do you have?

I started with Logic 8 around 2007(?). It’s just gotten better and better. At $200 it’s a steal. I’ve had continual updates for that $200 investment for the past 7-10 years.
    I rarely get beyond 8-10 tracks (excluding individual drum kit track in Logic’s “Production” kits) and mostly use stock plug-ins but I’ve never had memory/CPU issues and I only have 8GB RAM. I’ll be upgrading to an M1 Mac soon which is much faster and has “unified” memory.

eddiewagner and swervinbob like this.
  14. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

I mean, Logic definitely is great (it is my primary DAW), and people are right to sing its praises.

However, for tracking blues rock and making pop and hip hop, Studio One is just about as great. There aren't as many factory virtual instruments, but v 5 is a very capable DAW unfettered by the shackles of 80s/90s UX traditions that Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, and Digital Performer carry, and it is likely that you'd turn to third-party virtual instruments anyways. (I am a virtual instrument developer myself so if you have questions and/or want to spin this part of the conversation off into its own thing, I'd be happy to expand on it!)

Logic is the most efficient DAW for Mac, but S1 isn't far behind.

I rely on Logic mainly for its Environment, which no other DAW has... but if you're not doing really heavy MIDI-based work, it's sort of a moot point.

I'm also a big fan of the Sampler, formerly EXS24, and the Redmatica import AutoSampler, and even the single-sample QuickSampler—if you have synths or other sound sources you want to use for making pop and hip hop, these could be the tools that become the deciding factor.

But Studio One has continued to impress and to show that it is listening to its customers' needs (granted, Logic in the past 5 years has been like this too), and in my own sphere I know many people switching to S1 5 from another DAW and being happier and very few switching from S1 5 to another DAW and being happier.

If I had to switch to PC, I'd probably be an S1 guy.

codamedia and swervinbob like this.
  15. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Yep! Same here. Logic is an incredibly powerful tool for cheap dough, and very reliable and stable IME.

eddiewagner and swervinbob like this.
  16. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

A DAW should let you do what you need/want quickly and not put up road blocks for things you want to get done.

If you're finding after using a DAW for a good amount of time, you still feel like it's fighting you, it might be worth trying something new.

They all do the same thing so it comes down to personal preference and nuances of the workflow.

If you plan on working with studios, Logic and Pro Tools make sense. You can make a demo at home and send them the session and have everything up and running on their rig in a few minutes. But so long as S1 doesn't do anything proprietary to the files you can still get things rolling.

T Prior and swervinbob like this.
  17. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Logic is great - better and IMO easier to use than Garageband. If you pay attention, you can find discounts on iTunes gift cards, and use them to buy Logic from the iTunes store. This is the only way I've discovered that you can get a discount on Logic - other than the above-mentioned academic bundle. I didn't want any of the other stuff, so I opted for Logic for 20% off.

swervinbob and TokyoPortrait like this.
  18. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

BINGO! Keep swinging the hammer, bud. You'll be amazed how quickly your skills build up. :cool:

eddiewagner, suthol and swervinbob like this.
  19. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Hi woodman, good to hear from you. My recordingskills got a little rusty. I need to swing the logic-hammer again some more. Cheers, eddie

swervinbob likes this.
  20. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

why did you switch to MAC ? Was there a specific reason related to the DAW or is it a PC thing ?

Studio One , my take ,has a very familiar workflow to Pro Tools. Sure the labels and names of stuff are different, but the "tool-set" is very close.

Are you a HOME tracker or thinking RETAIL ? Not that it really matters, they all import the same WAV or MP3 files.

IF you are comfortable with S1, I would just upgrade. If you are NOT comfortable with S1 , sure , drive down a new road . Logic appears to be an excellent choice.

Me , I'm still old school, Pro Tools 12 x on a home built dedicated WIN 7 PC with SS drives and a huge EXT drive.

Hi Woody ! :)

codamedia likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.