1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about picking up a Gibson Skylark GA-5

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ice_pick, May 28, 2014.

1. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input everyone. Going to look at the amp Friday. Wish me luck!

2. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Blonde Skylarks are cool, wish I still had mine. GC usually has a few in the used section for $379.00-$399.00.

3. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

nevermind figured it out

4. Amstrat

Amstrat TDPRI Member

I bought a 1957 GA 5 about a year ago.

Looks almost new.

All original tubes but had the third prong added.

Great amp.

L

ForumRunner_20140605_072757.jpg

ForumRunner_20140605_072812.jpg

ForumRunner_20140605_072828.jpg

5. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

Picked it up today for $350. Seems that everything is original except for the electrolytic caps. The two prong cable is still intact, as well as the handle is original (did they rivet these in place?!). The original Jensen is magical. Somehow it doesn't fart out with my les paul overwound neck pickup going in. It accepts the challenge with nice low end.

What surprised me was the tubes. All three are Gibson labeled. It would seem that either those are the original tubes, or someone went through the effort back in the day to replace them with Gibson's. I have not pulled them for closer inspection.

It really has more clean head room than I anticipated. I don't know how far it will drive it with just the pickups. Mmmm that wooly mammoth for sale is mocking me now.

The logo is silver. I looked at pair of nearly identical ga-5s, the other one had a gold logo. Pics to come!

The feels when you have a new amp and GAS disappears...

Attached Files:

6. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

Congrats, Ice Pick! Those GA-5s are so much fun that it's easy to get addicted! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone.

7. Amstrat

Amstrat TDPRI Member

6V6 and rectifier in mine are rca and dated 57-22 . I am told this denotes a manufacturing date of 22nd week of 1957.

8. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Here's my (mostly) '67 Skylark. It needed an enclosure, cap job and speaker. I got rid of the death cap, and added a removeable 3 prong plug and an external speaker jack. It sounds great, but doesn't see much action & has a lot of sentimental value.

[​IMG]

9. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Ice pick, Congratulations on your purchase. One of the best amp buys on the vintage market. If you want different sounds, you can always check out different 12ax7 & 6V6 tubes in the circuit. I have found that brown base JAN 6V6GTY & Miniwatt/Amperex 12AX7 tubes sound the best in mine, but your YMMV. The 5Y3gt rectifier tube also can sag differently from brand to brand as well. You do not need to worry about biasing as everything is single ended.

10. deafoldman

deafoldman TDPRI Member

Best kept secret in American Amplifiers... my '64 GA-5 is the best sounding amp I have ever heard. Period. With the volume at 6 and P-90's it is celestial.

Please disregard my "Handle" when considering my opinion....

11. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i have a 64 ga5t with a weber silver ten in it and it sounds great. uses 6aq5 tubes and really screams. great amp!

play music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.