1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about jumping on the Jazzmaster bandwagon

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Rockdog, Apr 30, 2021.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Love mine...J Mascis, replaced the copper PG,upgraded pups to vintage fenders. image.jpg . CL find for under 3 bills.

2. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Some real good advice here. I will thrown in a couple more bits.

Much like a strat nowadays - thees are a lot of configurations that fall under the 'Jazzmaster' umbrella that arent really the classic jazzmaster. (H/H hardtil strat for example....) SO you have some options

+1 for the following:
    • The offset body is really comfortable
    • The magic of the Jazzmaster is really the pickups - The wide flat pickups. They really do cover such a nice array of sounds. They do require the use of the tone knobs t o dial in the sound you want
    • It needs the rhythm circuit
    • Harmonics are part of the sound - embrace them
    • An Offset Set up is required, which may include shimming the neck and raising the bridge. IMHO - Its easier than setting up a strat floating bridge.
    • they really do have the best vibrato - with a good set up....
    Anyway good luck with the hunt! They are pretty much my favorite guitars

3. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Not to derail but I hear good things about the G&L Doheny as a JM alternative

4. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Own an American Pro I Jazzmaster. Awesome guitar... never used the rhythm circuit when I owned a J.Mascis - who uses the rhythm circuit anyway (just use the tone knob)?

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    I had one of those, and the sharp edge of the metal pick guard cut me bloody a few times.
    I should have just replaced it, like you did.
    Instead I sold it.
    Great looking guitar!

ce24 likes this.
  6. Mondaysoutar

Mondaysoutar TDPRI Member

I’ve got an AO Jazzy and I have to say I use the rhythm circuit as much if not more than the lead circuit man. The neck PU takes you close to the rhythm circuit sound, but it’s not the same in my opinion , and having it only opens more sound options.

7. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

Word of warning on the Mascis Squire: it's heavy. Weight reduction is one of the main things you get (along with better pickups and hardware) as you go up the line.

As mentioned, those are more like P-90s in there.

Jazzmaster pickups are very bright. You might go down the rabbit hole of switching out pots, etc to try to tame it. Not fun.

I owned two, then just bit the bullet and built two of my own since they never did what I wanted. Great body shape so a great template for a build. I preferred this to messing with stock models, which never seemed to do what I wanted.

8. Johne1

Johne1 TDPRI Member

I’m so glad to see your post. I’m really impressed with all the new Fender American Professional II guitars. As good the new Tele Pro II is, the Jazzmaster really caught my eyes and ears. As I’ve posted on YouTube, this new Jazzmaster Pro II may be the most versatile electric guitar Fender has ever produced and sold in their stock production lineup (excluding the Custom Shop).

I’ve never owned a Jazzmaster, but this new Pro II sure is tempting.

lmjmitchell and BorderRadio like this.
  9. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

Just beware the Harley Benton version. I bought one online used from Sam Ash, I think it was a J-160. Couldn't see from the pictures that the pickups were in the wrong place, and the strings ran between the pole pieces. LOL, pics were all taken from an angle, so you couldn't see they were off. There should always be one pic of the pups taken straight on...

Good neck and playability, sounded great with Roswell pickups, but that issue was unsolvable without a lot of modification.

10. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Skip the Jazzmaster and find an Ibanez Jet King.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I do, to have a muted, lower volume setting or for a high gain fuzz. I also use the circuit like a kill switch when I roll the volume down. That's the reason I liked the Troy Van Leeuwen JM, as it has a toggle instead of a slide switch.

12. BorderRadio

Great color and model choice. I'd get an American Pro II but that's a little bit more cash.

13. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Had a '63 Jaguar and it was a fun diversion from the Strats and Teles. So find a Jazzmaster you like, and go for it. My only advice is buy the best you can afford. When I buy a guitar, it's forever.

14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I have a Tribute Doheny, it's a very cool guitar and not much like a Jazzmaster. The G&L Dual Fulcrum trem is the best S-style trem I've ever used, but it's still not as cool as the Jag/Jazz trem. The pickups are very "full range" or "hi-fi" sounding, but you can alter your sound a LOT with the PTB EQ section. Will it sound like a Jazzmaster if you twist the knobs enough? Sorta. Will it do sounds a Jazzmaster won't? Oh yeah. Nice guitar, but if you really want a Jazzmaster it won't scratch the itch.

I know, right? To quote Jerry Seinfeld, "What's up with that?" Over the years, Fender must have shipped a bunch of Jazzmasters with faulty tone pots- that's the only reason I can think of for the obsession with replacing Jazzmaster pickups to "warm up" the guitar, which is generally the job of the tone control.

Other than the fact that they're both electric guitars, why would you recommend this? It's not as if they're in any way similar. If he was asking about buying a Ferrari, would you recommend a canoe instead?

SuprHtr likes this.
  15. sleekpicker

sleekpicker TDPRI Member

Thanks for the heads up! If loving a Tele is an indicator of enjoying a JM, I'm out.

16. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

A jazzmaster is good for hanging up on the wall, high up, unreachable. Unplayable.

So you can tell people that its so precious, but because its such a pain taking down off the wall , you just pick up a nearby Strat and happily play.

Your Welcome
    K

17. BorderRadio

Nice try but no.

18. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

Don't know what it is about Jazz or Jags, but when I play them something tells me to play differently than I would on a Tele and that truly comes out. I have 2 Jags and 2 Jazzmasters. From Squier Classic Vibe to a Fender signature model. Get a good setup and the rest is history.

Mr Swisher and SixStringSlinger like this.
  19. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

J Mascis Jazzmaster owner here. Everything that has been said about them is true, both good and bad and even contradictory. I have only two quibbles:
    1) it needs a treble bleed circuit. A perfect, custom treble bleed circuit.
    2) a screw in wiggle pin would have been better.
    Still love it though.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That's a pretty guitar.

Slim Chance likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.