1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about going to just one guitar...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chipbutty24, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

That's pretty close to my own thoughts on the subject. Though I do realise that for some people, "owning a wide range of gear" is not a pleasure, but a burden. If that's how you feel, sure, simplify until you find your sweet spot.

In addition to pleasure, I also find owning a variety of gear can helps me to become a better musician (if I take advantage of it and don't leave it sitting in a closet, obviously). For instance, if you own one electric guitar, one acoustic guitar, and one bass guitar, you're likely to become much more rounded as a guitarist than the guy (or gal) who only ever plays one 'Tele. If you have one amp that encourages you to play clean, and one that encourages you to play "dirty", you'll probably be more versatile than the guy who can only play "dirt".

Of course it doesn't have to stop there. A couple of years ago, as I was starting to write and arrange my own songs, I realised that there were some aspects of music that became much clearer on a keyboard. So I got an inexpensive one as a tool for learning music theory. It sometimes also doubles as a metronome, guitar tuner, drum machine, and backing track generator for guitar practice. I've even used it as a MIDI keyboard, to get some of my melodies into a music notation program.

There a ton of multi-instrumentalists here on TDPRI; I have no doubt that learning to play different musical instruments also translates into being a better musician (as opposed to just a better guitarist). I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can play, say, both a wind instrument and a stringed instrument. Or even two stringed instruments that are tuned very differently.

Oh, yeah - I was dirt-poor when I first started to play guitar. I learned on a borrowed electric guitar with a cramped neck and cut-your-fingertips action - and I had no amp at all, so I learned unplugged. After I returned the borrowed guitar, my first (and only) guitar for years was a cheap acoustic steel-string.

Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again unless I had to!

-Gnobuddy

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had one guitar and an amp for years. Then I got an acoustic. Then I got a twelve string. Then a bass. It's a slippery slope that's led to around 20 instruments if you count the mando and lap steels and the like. While I could do it, I like having choices. Everything is in rotation.

But if I had to, and the guitar was your green Tele. I think I could be quite happy.

3. Bees_Knees

Bees_Knees Tele-Meister

I have always wondered about doing this and I have decided that I can't. I did go down from 7 electrics and 1 acoustic to 4 electrics and 1 acoustic but that's as far as I got. I love my hwy one telecaster, Gibson Les Paul Traditional and my Gretsch g6120 RRH way to much and would miss them. The fourth is a squire telecaster that I have plans to overhaul sometime so really it's unplayable right now.

Still, The thought of having just one is still pulling at me, so you never know, maybe eventually. If I did, I would need a 52 RI.

4. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well if I were to cut things down to one guitar, it would probably be the "Son of Fido" since that one is so versatile, there's almost nothing I can't do with that one.

[​IMG]

But then I would be going crazy with the prospect of not having a back up instrument or if it would get damaged.

5. 13Lucky13

13Lucky13 TDPRI Member

Have a Tele Am. STD., a Gibson Les Paul STD. plus top, a Jeff Beck Strat, and a Gibson SG STD., thats enuff...

6. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I just wanna say we are on the same page with a DOT. If the house were on fire; I'd run in to save my child; wife; and epi.

7. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

For me the perfect group is:

Tele
    Led Paul
    Some kind of hollow or semi-hollow
    Good acoustic

Throw in an good tube amp and a couple of pedals, and you've got it made.

8. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

For someone who mostly plays at home, I once owned 5 electrics, 2 tube amps, 1 digital modeling amp, and one solid state. I also had more than a dozen pedals.

I have trimmed it down to 2 electrics (telecasters), 2 tube amps, and 6 pedals.

I want to get down to 1 electric and 1 tube amp and get only really good pedals but I'm in no rush. If the right deal comes along, I'll bite. As long as I have the space, I'm keeping them.

9. thepassivevoice

thepassivevoice Tele-Meister

Me too. But so far I haven't even been able to pare down to one Tele, let alone one guitar.

10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

^This.

The guitars I have don't have a negative effect on me other than maintenance, so until they do, or until I have to lessen the herd, I guess they'll be staying.

I was a one guitar person for 10 years when I played acoustic, then a 2 guitar person for 20 more years (6 string & 12 string). I got into electric guitars and GAS took over. I think I'm over it now, with a self-imposed 'one in one out' rule. Or 3 out for 1 higher end guitar. But I'd sure like to settle down with one. And that one the op has looks pretty nice!

11. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I think you're being a bit too subtle for this crowd. :D

-Gnobuddy

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

--Thoreau

13. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

This thread has made me think a lot about selling off a bunch of gear. I actually sold both an amp and guitar separately in the past 2 days. I still could downsize for sure. If I had to give up all but one, I would keep the 93 MIJ Strat. To me, it is the most irreplaceable and the best player. I have much more money in a pair of Teles, but the Strat is still my favorite. I could even live without my acoustic. There is something to be said about having one or 2 great guitars and playing the Hell out of them. Considering my modest skill level, it probably makes the most sense.

I've been trying to spend less time cyber stalking gear and on this thread and more time playing, in the end that's what really matters.

I'm keeping the pedals regardless though.:D

14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I own just one guitar for +10 years, that and two amp a stack and a small combo. No big deal.

But now I like having a few lying around. I still only ever bring one of them to the band stand, but it is nice to have a couple of options according to inspiration and mood at that point in time.

That is one beautiful Tele, I'm a sucker for double bound guitar. Go ahead and sell the rest, you can alway buy some of it back. :)

15. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Tele-Meister

I've had the same Tele for 28 years, my only electric.
    It's pretty much paid for my house.

Keep it simple and concentrate on your playing instead of buying/selling/obsessing about gear.

16. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

This almost seems like a bizzaro TDPRI thread. I never thought I'd see the day when people unite at the thought of less gear:)

17. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

After 28 years I imagine there's a lot of wear and tear on that guitar. What do you do when it's in the shop?

18. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I had one guitar for 30 years- that was long enough...

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

:D Maybe I should limit it to one noun and a couple of verbs.

20. euro

euro Tele-Holic

Gorgeous Tele! WOW! I love the color!.
    I have already culled the herd so to speak. I had about 50 vintage, and high-end Gibson's, Fenders, suhrs, andersons, Deusenberg, et.al. I got down to one guitar, a special offering LP, and one amp. However, I had no choice in the matter. Still, I play out 3-4 times per week, and need more then one guitar. Over a period of 10 years, I have gotten back up to 6 electrics, which include 3 XOX Audio Tools, a Vigier, and two teles, which are on order from Jeff Neville.

My amps, which I also had to unload, still include a Diezel, a Marshall JMD, which is a really great amp, and a Vox Valvetronix from the first run 7-8 years old now. I will be downsizing the amps to a really small, compact fly-rig as I am getting too old to cart around 80 pound amps any longer.

I have owned everything I ever desired in multiples, but recently got really wound up on getting back into teles. Having owned a lot of Fenders, including Master Built teles and strats, I wanted something new and boutiqueky. After reseaching tele builders for about 3+ months, I decided on Jeff Neville. His roster is made up of a LOT of the hottest Nashville players, both session, and stars. When they all went for a tele from Jeff, I knew they must know something that is worth knowing myself. I started out ordering one, but couldn't help ordering a second one.

One of the several reasons for unloading the guitars was the weight factor. Now, my heaviest guitar weighs seven pounds even, the Vigier. The XOX guitars are 5 pounds each, and hollow carbon fiber. I really love these guitars.

My teles will be no heavier then 6 1/2 pounds, and both will be chambered.
    If I had to keep just two guitars, I don't think I could do it, but I could live with keeping one XOX, the Vigier, which is a strat type made in Paris, France, and one Neville tele. The only reason I found out about these unusual guitars is due to having culled the herd. I like the guitars I have now, more then the ones I had then, and they were all really fine guitars that I sold off. I just like keeping current, since I started playing in 1955. I grew up with the guitars everyone now talks about.

I have tried to keep up over the years with the latest and greatest, but aside from the Nevilles, I have found that the European builders have developed a lot of modern advancements which they combine with old-school learning when building guitars. I guess it's all good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.