1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about going to just one guitar...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chipbutty24, Jun 17, 2014.

1. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

To each their own, and if anyone is happy with one guitar then more power to them. I think that over time I would be left wanting more if I had just one guitar. Different guitars have different sounds to them, so part of the fun of owning different guitars is the range of tones you can get. That's one of the main reasons I like to have several guitars. That, and I gig out regularly so it's good to spread the wear and tear across several instruments.

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I saw Tommy Emmanuel last night. He used three in two hours. Two were the same model one was standard tuned, the other had the E string down to D and the third was a dreadnaught with a cutaway.

3. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

I frequently get the urge to simplify, followed shortly thereafter by the urge to acquire. What can you do ...

I'm running lean and am pretty satisfied right now; I have a Tele, a Strat, an old Fender Champ, and a couple of pedals, which I barely use. I'm picking up an inexpensive, used 12-string acoustic on Saturday, and I think it's going to hold me for quite a while.

There will always be some things that I would like to have, but I know that I can't afford them, so it doesn't really bother me. A Gibby Firebird (antique white w/ mini-humbuckers and a Bigsby, please), a variety of vintage and new amplifiers ... but all that is just the stuff of dreams :)

4. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

I gave this some thought a while ago, I thought if I just had one guitar and one amp I would have to learn the hard way, by extracting everything the amp and pickups had and using that to come up with a tone I could use for everything.

Then I played all of my guitars and came up with the realization that just one guitar and amp cannot possibly be good for everything. They are all unique in their own way.

I do use my Fender SCXD for everything though, I love that amp.

5. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

To have little is to possess.
    To have plenty is to be perplexed.

Lao-tzu

6. kend

kend Tele-Meister

That's hard to do when you go to forums like this and read of people's NGD 's or see a new link to a big sale or new product.
    I think it has to do also with how much space you have in your home and that cluttery feeling can feel just as bad as wanting can.

The thing about having 1 guitar is you can get to know how to get what you want out of it, inside and out. You get familiar with the instrument and can develop your skills comfortably because of being super familiar, it becomes an extension of you.

I think if you are involved in making music and learning, you think less of aquiring.

Im at 2 and thinking of going to 1 as well.

If you do go down to 1, make sure it's one that you love. Also make sure you are happy with your amp as well, and not struggling to accept it because everyone else does.
    Love the gear you have and you' ll probably be satisfied minimalising.

All the best.

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

One guitar,,,,, thats no fun.

8. Wrong-Note Rod

that was nicer and more eloquent than what I wrote, and I completely agree, for all the same reasons.

I've got three teles, one standard, one a custom thing with removable graphics and humbuckers, one a thinline with P90s; one strat, one with more or less standard outfit; an SG; a great Les Paul clone; a very old Les Paul Junior with single P90 that sounds fantastic; a pink Hello Kitty strat thats just for fun; an old Aria lawsuit acoustic that sounds great; and a Fender acoustic with very good Fishman acoustic for gigs... plus a couple of basses lying around for recording; and a cheap lap steel that I'm addicted to.

I wouldnt sell any of them, they all get played, they all have their different strengths and uses. Some are just old friends and even if they dont get played all that much, no way I'd ever sell them.

9. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Most of my life I had one electric one acoustic and it was fine. However now that I've built or acquired a few dream guitars it would really bum me out, particularly on the ones I built or assembled or refurbished.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I scaled my closet down to two shirts and one pair of pants a few years ago. I thought I would be more focused on just being me, without needing the external façade that so many of us rely on to get through the daily gig of life.

But instead of allowing my true personality to shine out through the denim and poly-cotton, I was stifled by the sameness of my daily attire. I found that I was limited to a narrow band of expressiveness. I needed more texture in my presentation, more colour in my visual presence.

I now have dozens of shirts and many pairs of pants. All of those clothes allow me to present all the facets of my interior being, rather than always just being that guy in the jeans and the grey golf shirt.

11. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

It's no wonder relic guitars are popular. Y'all couldn't possibly wear a guitar in the honest way and without abuse if you have a bunch of guitars you're playing.

I came back to electric guitar after many years of playing primarily the violin/fiddle. It's not uncommon for even famous violinists to own only one violin and to identify deeply with that one instrument. Of course that makes it more tragic when an instrument gets stolen or destroyed, but you can't live well without suffering losses.

I own one electric guitar and I play the heck out of it. I also own only one violin. One tenor banjo. One resonator guitar. One flat top acoustic. One mandolin.

12. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Thanks, that's nice of you to say. I think the roster of guitars you just listed is a perfect example of why I have difficulty owning only one guitar. I could play nothing but a Tele all the time and find a way to coax every possible tone out of it that it has to offer, but no matter how much I adjust the tone it's not going to sound like a 335, or a Cabronita, or an SG, etc.

13. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

i had one guitar for about 15 years, and it turned out to be unique-- when it got damaged i couldnt get another one even slightly like it. it was just crushing-- sort of sad really, it was almost like losing a pet.

ive been buying guitars since-- gonna have a big selloff soon--

i dont buy one-of-a-kinds now, because i don't want the trauma of having something irreplaceable.

wes played an l5 just because they were so common and generic that he could borrow or buy replacements as he needed.

14. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

I play a lot in open G, but also a fair bit in standard. Retuning is annoying, so i kinda need 2. Plus i like playing acoustic, so that makes 3. Only need 1 amp though, and i like to keep the quantity of pedals down too.

15. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I was watching a John Fogerty TV concert and he changed guitars practically every song. I couldn't help wonder if when he was writing and touring those songs in the 60' and 70's how many of these songs were played on one or maybe two guitars?

Or think of Billy Gibbons with his space shuttle level of complexity to play Texas road house blues. Am I to believe 40+ years ago as Billy was shuffling from club to club he was using more than a cranked amp and guitar?

I have four guitars and two amps and I'm not selling any of them soon. But I have them because I can. For me there is no real need.

16. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

After years of searching, I finally built "my" guitar. That's the only one I have left now, except for dad's old acoustic which is wall art.
    That's just me, though. I tend to latch onto things I like and eschew other options. I get familiar with something, know how to make it do what I want and run with it. More options only serve to distract me.

17. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

I am in the process of going to just one guitar (instead of 3), the partscaster I built below. I am keeping my acoustic but no more. After all, people only used to have one guitar and did everything with it, so I think it's perfectly ok. There's something about simplicity and just focusing on one (good) instrument.
    Quite common now for folks to have more guitars than the Beatles did.

Attached Files:

18. Wrong-Note Rod

sure there is.

but all kinds of legends had more than one guitar, and did everything on various ones.

19. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I had only one guitar for about 20 years, and fully agree with the idea that with only one guitar, you continually develop your bond with it, so that its strengths and weaknesses, as well as your own become more familiar.

Now I have several, and having to adjust to different guitars helps to improve my playing. With each guitar comes the inspiration to play it, and more importantly, each requires slightly different techniques to bring the best out of it.

So for me, the focus has remained on playing, and my point is that if a player loves to play, regardless of whether he has one guitar or several, the opportunity for improving the playing is about equal.

If there's a trick or secret to guitar playing, it's in the player, and not in the number of guitars he plays.

20. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

I have had one guitar and multiple guitars.
    Both ways are good and I am pretty simple no matter the number of guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.