1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about going to just one guitar...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chipbutty24, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

There are times when I play trio and the tele sound is not thick enough so I use a vintage Les Paul Custom. Depends what you play, where you play and who you play with IMO.

Sometimes the Les Paul just works better for me plus I have small hands and usually play the Gibson shorter scale better than the Fender.

Have a 68 tele that I bought new and would never sell it but absolutely need the Gibson also. Could get rid of several others but not one of those 2.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I had one guitar for years. Now I have four. Four is better than one. I also have three amps. Three is better than one. I have a few pedals. A few is better than none.

However, if you're happy denying yourself all of the pleasures that owning a wide range of gear can bring, then go ahead and get rid of stuff. I'm sure you're good enough that you won't miss the gear.

3. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Had my one strat for my first ten years of playing. Finally found its equal in les Paul form. Still looking for the tele to round out the group. I may never. Two good ones is great. Have a tele under the couch technically but I've never connected, so it lives there. I'm sure it's out there but even if it's not I think I can be happy with these two fellas forever. I believe in the connection over the collection.

4. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

If I absolutely had to I could trim down to just my Ovation. That guitar is just the most versatile in my quiver. I only have 6 guitars though and three of them I could give away and not regret it. It's not that I dislike them, but I don't play them much anymore. I'd be hard pressed to get rid of my Baja and my Delta King...with the Ovation those three do everything that I want and they get played about equally.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeow! That is good Kelnet. I have a friend that goes through this purging of gear process every ten years or so. Yep, back up to 10 or so again. The only thing my buddy ends up with is a loss of hard earned cash, and repeated GAS. I can see honing your collection more. That seems reasonable. As a person who loves to try to simplify, I can see the allure of spending the rest of your life with one guitar, but it ain't gonna happen, so why try?

6. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Under the couch!? A tele!?
    You're off this forum, dude.:p

7. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Best thing I ever did was go down to one acoustic, one electric, and one amp.

Worst thing was getting rid of my favorite electric, but I got it back! and won't make that mistake again.

8. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

Well said, and makes one wonder how the course of music itself would have changed had they been able to order fine CV's for easy money online. The economic historian in me is intrigued.

As they say here, "the path is the goal". Maybe having one is the right decision at a certain point in one's life. I have 3 and am considering consolidating up into a nice surf green Tele and have a years long relationship. But as sure as Christ made little apples (awesome grandpa saying...) I at some point will want another one. And I'm ok with that.
    Surely not the most financially optimized behavior, but what the hell. Must is about the soul, which is to say that any money spent on it is ultimately justified on those grounds alone.

9. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I have a number of guitars, they're all "horses for courses", but if I could keep only one, it would be a good Strat. The most versatile guitar out there in my opinion.

10. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

I too felt vaguely offended when I read that. And don't give me that Les Paul scheiße either...
    You need to free that Tele friend.

11. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

When I have dirty thoughts, I just try to think of something else until they go away...

...just sayin'

:lol:

12. tallpaul

tallpaul Tele-Meister

I have 4 guitars
    1 Baja tele ....great for stinging blues,jangly rhythm etc
    2 Gibson les Paul.....great for creamy blues,rock etc
    3 Squier custom 2 tele.....great slide guitar those P-90's really do the job!
    4 Epiphone dot.....great all rounder,lovely woody tone,huge neck great for vibrato!

I just need a good acoustic now to complete my arsenal

13. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

1 acoustic for many years, then added 6 electrics...now 1 electric

no amp for many years, then 5 amps...now 2 amps

no pedals for many years, then a fair number of pedals...now just the pedals below in the sig...and done with pedal gas.

quality over quanity and now old and don't want a bunch of crap to take care of....though I'd like a nice quality acoustic...but don't want to lay out the cash for a good one.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Diversity adds color to life...

15. WCK85

WCK85 Tele-Meister

I have 3 electrics. A USA Strat with Hot Rails, A Gibson The Paull II, and a 2011 USA Standard Tele. I've actually been thinking about selling the Tele because I like the other two more and have had them forever. But I would feel weird to be on TDPRI without a Telecaster! haha. I also have a MIJ Fender P-Bass, a GS Mini, and a 21 year old Ibanez beater acoustic. I think the Mini and the Tele might go soon, even though they are nice guitars.

16. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

thinking about it......

I too want to downsize. Cant give up guitars yet. I have 6 total; including acoustic and resonator. My guitar lust is fairly satiated. But, I need space. I can't see getting rid of any; they represent my different personalities.(too attached)

I just sold one amp, and will be trading my HRD for an SS22 head. This will get me to 2 heads and 2 cabs.

From here I just need to get a bigger house!

17. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

It would probably be my Epi Dot. I put in Duncans, coil split them, and it's the most versatile guitar I have. I'd miss my hollowbodies and Tele, but losing the Acoustic Yairi would be tough.

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I went from nine to my three favorites a couple of years ago. Now I'm back to six if you count my bass, and I'm jonesing for a MIM strat right now.

My only thing with having one guitar (or amp for that matter) is that if one goes down you don't have a spare. Switches break, jacks go out, you take it into the shop for an upgrade - no guitar.

If you're not practicing regularly, playing out, or in a band situation I guess it would be OK though.

19. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I benefit from all my buying/selling by getting to play and own lots of guitars, and fortunately I don't get attached to them. The only two I won't ever sell for sentimental reasons aren't really worth much anyway. I did Monday spend $350 on a vintage Vantage VP795 which is a lot for me for a guitar I plan to keep. As luck would have it I've got a few extra amps to offload to cover that cost. For the most part I have very little invested in my "keepers" so I never feel the need to sell them.

20. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I've always admired - and been a bit fascinated - by players who stick to just one guitar, although they could afford more.

I could go the rest of my life with only one guitar, but since I see no advantage to it, I probably never will.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.