Thinking about going to just one guitar...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chipbutty24, Jun 17, 2014.

1. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Anyone ever sold off all but one? How'd it work out? Dunno why but feel the need to simplify. I don't play much so most of my guitars just sit in cases but I feel I'd regret it. Maybe I'm just bored. Do you really need more than this...

[​IMG]

2. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I have a bunch. But I have simplified from what I had at one point. I feel the urge to go further.

Getting to one would be tough I think. But it really shouldn't be. I have one that, sentimental value aside, does it all.

I like the aesthetics of various guitars. But that's half the reason I have some of them. Kinda silly.

3. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I have this problem................

I start to learn something, like guitar.

I get to a certain level so the way my mind works is that I get inspiration from tinkering, getting a new guitar, strings, effect pedals etc. I often go down to basic guitars ( Teles being a fav ) and then it starts, slowly growing to ...... you name it any or all of the above.

I do always return to the Tele however so I suppose there is hope for me...........

Gary

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have too many but there are at least 5 guitars that I have sold that I greatly regret having done so. I can never replace them and received far too little in return.

5. Teleagain

Teleagain Tele-Meister

What you need is very different from what you want....

I've had a number of guitars but only regret selling two....I more regret some I shouldn't have bought....GAS can be expensive.....

I was down to one guitar, my Tele.....I did miss the SG that I wish I'd kept, so I did buy an Epiphone SG....

Simplifying can be good for your mental health..

Truth be told,I wish I kept my first non-Fendef Tele and my $99(at the time) Fender Champ, much like you photo....

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I would cut back if I absolutely had to, but I don't, so I won't.

I do have a guitar that I intend to sell, that I've actually listed on CL (but no takers thus far). Two others I might sell.

For that matter, I wouldn't cut back to one amp unless I absolutely had to, either. And little Champ like that wouldn't do it for me.

7. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Tele-Holic

out of all the gear and guitars I have,the CVC Tele and Champ 600 (both are modded) is the combo I enjoy and play the most.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I went GAS crazy and now have one acoustic and two electrics. I'm perfectly happy with it.

9. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I downsized to one acoustic and one electric, when I moved out West.

10. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Brent Mason got me thinking about the one guitar plan. He said that when he started all he could afford was one guitar, so he had a good tele with a mini-humbucker in the neck, a strat pickup in the middle, and good tele bridge pickup. I did this minus the middle pickup. I believe that a tele with a mini-humbucker in the neck is as versatile as it gets. I still have a couple of Les Pauls and a strat, but that tele is number one. Something about a good tele ...

11. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

3 guitars and two amps. I still feel like its too much. That set up is great except I'd get a little blackface princeton reverb because I like to be loud and have reverb.

12. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

I move frequently and have also gone down to one guitar. Probably going to get another acoustic eventually, but my one tele is enough.....for now...

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had only one guitar for years. It was awful.

14. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

I have a DRRI that I love to death and would never sell. The champ was just to illustrate simplicity. Gotta have reverb!

15. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

much of the golden age, folks had only one guitar. unusual to have had more than 1 or 2 until the 1960s.

with one you'll actually concentrate on playing, the way the old jazz and classical dudes did, and get to learn that one's habits.

especially good if the one guitar is also something you can replace in a pinch or is like guitars yr likely to find in jams or sessions. makes it easier if something happens to yours. wes played an l5 partly cuz they were standards in jazz an dif he lost or borke his, he could replace or borrow easily. teles and strats are sort of like that, now.

16. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

Never sell anything you love. You will only regret it. I have a 72 Gibson j45 I never play. I only open the case to check or replenish the humidifier. I used that guitar to get through Engineering School at Uconn ( back when tuition was $3600/year!) by busking in NYC and touring with a country band . I will never sell it.

17. drob

drob Tele-Holic

Yes. I'm in a similar place. Just put my last guitar up for sale. I had a few amps, a few guitars. Bought a Princeton, sold all my amps. Had a bunch of different electrics come and go, but the Tele was played 90% of the time. I do plan to get a lap steel. One Tele, one steel, one acoustic, one amp, and a Nano (4 pedals) pedalboard. It sits on top of the amp most of the time.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I relate to that, actually. From 1973 to 1983, I had one guitar.

When a fatal accident befell it, I got another guitar (my beloved Hohner G-940 acoustic) that was my only guitar until the year 2000.

I wouldn't say those 27 years of only owning one guitar at a time were awful. I didn't play out, and one guitar was right for the time.

When I started playing out, I bought an acoustic/electric, and for my birthday my wife and kids got me an amp and some gear.

Now I have 11, including the one I mentioned earlier that I intend to sell. The thing is, several of those were gifts, several were good bargains, and a couple were crazy cheap great deals, so my collection may be an obsession, but it's not that extravagant.

19. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

I have 21 or 22 guitars. (What does that tell ya? I am not even sure of the exact number) I have been thinking of greatly reducing the numbers, and will do so, but I have several flavors that I would like to have.
    One for high gain distortion stuff.
    One for George Benson type stuff.
    One for Tele twang country stuff.
    One for Tele rosewood neck kind of stuff.
    One for Strat kind of stuff.
    A Gibson style mahogany humbucker
    A Gibson style mahogany P90.
    A bass guitar.
    A 6 string acoustic.
    A nylon string
    A 12 string
    A maple neck Tele
    A maple neck Strat
    That is 13 already, and that is without any duplicates.
    You could also have one set up for slide guitar. The list goes on...

Actually what I have decided to do is make some combination guitars with more options in order to join some of the above together. Then beyond that the possibilities of using a Fishman Triple Play enabling you to play a whole orchestra of instruments just like with a synth/sampler. That would take care of all of the acoustics. Listen to this demonstration here of an acoustic sampling program.
    Here is a complete review of the Fishman Triple Play. Listen to the nylon acoustic, and more.

20. drob

drob Tele-Holic

That's a beautiful guitar. Why would you need another.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.