1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about getting into archery, possibly bow hunting.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mistermullens, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I agree with Popthree. Been shooting for over 50 years, took many deer with a compound but went back to a recurve. For me shooting a stickbow instinctively is just plain fun, and surprisingly accurate with the right bow + practice.

I shoot 53# mostly. I'm a pro with my old 60# Bear TD but my elbow complains.

Attached Files:

2. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

This is so funny cause it closely echoes my experience and feelings.
    For a brief while when I was touring, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy was in the theaters, I was determined to walk into the clubs with a bow and quiver of arrows on my back!!! Nerdy....
    The rest of the band was feeling sympathetic and bought me some Chinese Stars!

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The CVC necks might be thin enough to use for a bow.

4. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

People call it the "Hammer" and I don't know why
    Crossbows are short range rifles that let you hunt during the bow season.

Long bows are super light, quiet and hard to shoot until you develop the muscles required, and I never did so I moved to compound bows. Bit heavier and noisier but still give that feeling of hunting with a bow. Then again I have not hunted with any of the new fangdangled ones that cost an arm and a leg and that have arrows with guidance systems built in.

And truthfully, a back injury made me give up bow hunting so I only rifle hunt now and that is no where near as satisfying, and I still won't succumb to buying a crossbow.

5. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I started a couple of years ago by buying a used older Hoyt compound bow at a pawn shop. You can get pretty good deals on used bows. Then see how you like it. I went to a local bow shop with an indoor range and just learned a lot from the guys there. Yesterday I just bought a new Hoyt Carbon Element- a high tech compound bow that is a work of art (in black). So far I have taken an Eland and a Red Hartebeest- going out next week with my new bow for a Nyala and an Impala.(Lots of practice this week)

6. rebelwoclue

[​IMG]
    Thanksgiving weekend in S. Africa- Warthog- went about 150 meters and dropped.

7. rebelwoclue

[​IMG]
    Last season's Eland

8. rebelwoclue

[​IMG]
    Sunday's hunt- European Wild Boar- dropped where it stood. (With my new bow)

9. 20721

20721 Former Member

I shot recurve for many years and could not get into the compound bows. I love archery. If you're interested in hunting you should probably shoot compound, and it's going to take you a LONG time to get good enough to actually drop an animal instead of crippling it. Not sure I could have pulled it off when I was good, and I'm not good now.

10. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

I really enjoy shooting my bow, can't wait til my boys are old enough to shoot 3-D with me.

11. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Check out this video

There is a video with a history of Bows and their development. This also has a spectacular series of video footage covering Lars Anderson and his accomplishments. Lars must be the Archery equivalent of a Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan combined.

http://www.wimp.com/forgottenarchery/

Lost_N_Austin

12. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Like others have said, compound bows are best for hunting. I just really enjoy shooting recurves instinctively. A decent, affordable bow to start with is the Samick Sage. For backyard shooting consider starting with a low weight, under 40 lbs, and pick up a heavier set of limbs later if you want to hunt with it.

13. Telefone

Telefone Tele-Holic

Check out any bow shop there are all kinds of Really good used bows out there. Lots of shooters trade in every year. Get a used but quality bow have it professionally set up. Be careful on the accessories they can really add up to the cost, sights and rests can get real expensive.when you feel ready to start hunting do it! I have hunted with bow and rifle for 45 years, I never ever tire of time spent in the woods. Good Luck.

14. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most states in the US only allow dissabled hunters to use a crossbow, but they are legal in some states.

I have been a bow hunter since I was 14, and enjoy the sport. I would recwomend a quality affordable compound bow to start with. I never got into accessories. I just used a rest and release. I quit using sights after the expensive fiber optic sights I bought as a kid kept breaking in the thick brush in the woods. Eveventually I went to a recurve, but I'm thinking of getting a new compound. They are just so much more powerful, they are better for hunting.

15. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am not a bow hunter as I am outdoors doing other things that time of year, and probably don't have the patience to be a good one. My next door neighbor, however, is a serious bow hunter and a great shot. He shoots his bow year round, and from time to time enters competitions to keep his shooting sharp. Also a guy who spends a lot of time in the woods, year round. If you are thinking of bowhunting, you need to commit to practice. A lot. WOunding game is wasteful and unethical.

Here is a link to a Moose hunt which features my next door neighbor and a buddy that lives on the opposite side of the ridge from us. As you can see, Dave has a lot of experience shooting a bow.

www.theoutfittertv.com/2012_vt_archery_moose_hunt_m.html

16. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

that is amazing. i come from a traditional archery family, dad, grand dad and many family members into this sport all their lives, and i've never seen anything quite like that.

17. solly

solly TDPRI Member

I got started in bowhunting just this year. Its been fun, havent gotten a deer yet though. It doesnt have to be real expensive, i bought this bow ready to hunt for less than $500 and with practice it shoots very accurate.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.