1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about consolidating 2 amps in to 1 modeler

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Clickfiend, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

I'm thinking about consolidating my Superchamp x2 w/ Celestion Greenback and my Orange 35rt for either a Boss Katana or Fender GTX 50. Any idea which one of those would best replace the range of tones I get from my current amps? Ease of use and flexibility would be great as well. Or... are there other modelers I should be looking at?

2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

That's tough, because the Katana may have better high gain distortion like the Orange, but the Mustang will have better Fender cleans. Can you try them anywhere or are you buying online? I would also look at the Mustang LT50 and Vox Cambridge 50.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Never tried the Mustang. Love the Katana.

4. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

I asked my wife. She said keep the amps and get a bigger house.

ASATKat, naveed211 and unixfish like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The price difference between the GTX50 with a foot pedal controller and the GTX100 is minimal. My Mustang III sounds good at low volumes - I would suggest the GTX100.

I like the Fender cleans and the Fender overdrive sounds, so I might be biased here.

6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Look at us - spending your money for you! :lol::lol::lol:

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I have no idea what your rig sounds like. That would greatly help answer your question.

Or just profile with a Kemper, spot on and always musical,

8. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

I love both of the amps that you mention... at their price point both are an awesome deal. To answer your question, if financially your compromise is to do the trade in, going for the Fender 1x12 is not a bad idea. But assuming that you are going to keep playing for many years, I would recommend looking into a used HX stomp and keeping the Superchamp. The Superchamp is a great platform and the HX has so much DSP horsepower you can get most any sound that you could ever need or want.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

IMO your X2 with the Greenback is better than either amp your considering. Maybe sell the Orange and buy a used Mustang III. They're going for around $200 now. I've got a friend with one - tons of great tones.

10. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

get the gtx100 over the 50 if you go that route-better deal and comes with the FS

11. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Ditto and the speaker might be better on the GTX100

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I am happy with my Headrush Gigboard plus FRFR cab. The set up gives me all the effects, amps, and cab si.s I would ever want!

[​IMG]

It doesn't have to necessarily be a Headrush Gigboard because there are a lot of choices out there such as Helix, Boss, etc. But, do yourself a favor by getting an FRFR cab to appreciate your sims better.

I did this among others using my rig. SLO-100 on one channel and Dual Rec on the other.

13. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

Thanks for the post (and thanks everyone for all the the other posts). I’ve actually started looking at FRFR cabs. I can use it with any modeler (software or hardware) so I should get some life out of it. I think i’m going to part ways with the Orange 35rt and get one. Will keep the x2 for a while and see how I like the cab with Bias FX and my Boss GT1 before letting it go.

14. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I love the Katana, in fact it's part of my name here.

If you want exotic fx over amp tones the Kat isn't for you. The Kat dials in artist/amp tones like SRV, Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Santana, Fruschiante, Gilmore,,, it really is a little chameleon. With magic like that I could care LESS about how accurate it is matching up to a Deluxe.

Is it all I want? No, gas is building pressure once again but this doesn't mean I'm getting bored with my Kat, not at all. I just want a Kemper, use the Kat as a powered cab and use the Kat as itself, that would be nice.

15. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

do you want a full amp? If not, the Atomic Amplifire or Boss GT-10 could also be an option ...

I'm a tube guy,but as I like Boss modeling (still love my little red Microcube!) the Kantana is a good sounding, no brainer all in one solution..

Tom Bukovac uses a Roland Cube 15 in his Corona lessons/HomeSkooling vids by the way...
    Do you need it for gigging?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.