Thinking about buying used 2012 Bose L1

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Cheesehead, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

I play in a blues band. We have a Behringer PA - does the trick but a lot to haul around. We've done a few gigs out recently without a drummer that were quieter, but we are adding a drummer. The places will be playing aren't huge - small to medium sized bar and restaurants.

So vocals, two guitars, bass, and drums. Is a Bose L1 loud enough? I don't foresee playing a place where we would be super loud...

2. Stisch

Stisch TDPRI Member

I know a few people that use these, however they are solo artists. Most of these style systems will work, but lack bass.

My girlfriend and I have been looking to get a pair of Turbosound IP2000. Might be an option to consider.

3. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We have an L1 Model II. I think the main difference in the original and II is the base. The older one is round, the one we have folds up.

Anyway, we play the same sort of venues you're talking about. We run vocals and acoustic guitars through it, every now and then the upright bass. The electric guitars and bass have their own amps.

We don't get too loud but we have a drummer and go full electric for about a quarter of our songs. It rocks! The second time we used it was at a big 200 person dance hall. It totally filled the room without any strain. (The only drawback is we were standing 6 feet in front of the "mains" for three hours.)

It will absolutely work. You'll get super clean sound and mixing is easier...you hear what the audience hears. Plus, no lifting those big cabinets, no monitors, no heavy power amp.

This is us playing quietly at a library, but you get the idea.

You can pm me if you have questions.

4. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

You guys sound great! I think the L1 will fit the bill.

Martin R likes this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My band uses one running vocals, acoustic guitar and bass (we have the bass module) using a Mackie 1202 mixer and a DBX Go-Rack for EQ and feedback control. It works well for us. The drums and guitar amps are un-mic'ed. We stick it beside or behind the drummer so we can all hear it. It's kind of like the micro version of the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound.

Martin R likes this.
  6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've had one for over 15 years, and I like it, but I often think of getting a more conventional setup. With the older models like mine, if you want to add any effects or whatever, the connectivity is sort of stupidly designed. Overall it sounds good though, but I only use it for solo gigs. I'd rather haul an acoustic amp than the Bose unless the venue is large. For a full band I think a regular pa would be better.

7. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

just got an RCF evox 8. 500 watt powered sub with array on top.( 12in woofer) Not cheap but got a pretty good deal on Reverb. This would handle most small room gigs for a band if you had two of them. 58# a piece, quick set up and packs great. For my solo gig it kills. The next one up Evox 12( 15 in. bass)
    would be amazing but at over 2k a side is a deal breaker for most bands

8. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

It'll do the trick. I have a Model 2 with 2 bass modules and it certainly doesn't lack bass. It fills every nook and cranny when you need it.

Martin R likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.