Thinking about buying a Banjo.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Well ..... I've placed my order. After starting by checking out Gold Tone, Deering, Recording King and Gold Star I plunged head first into American made small shop banjo builders. I chose one built by Tim Davis. It's the Davis Don Reno mahogany 5 String Resonator. This banjo is a replica of Don Reno's Gibson RB75 that he acquired through a trade with Earl Scruggs. It's brand new but the metal parts have been aged to look like the original. I purchased it from The Banjo Warehouse. I'm looking forward to this delivery. It should be here by the 26th.

Wow man!!!! You made a GREAT choice! I was going to say - when it comes to banjo's you really do get what you pay for. I have a Gold Tone that I love dearly, it's a nice banjo for the price point, but it doesn't touch my 1970 Mastertone... I have no doubts you're gonna love that Davis! Man does she look sweet! Congrats!

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
I thought about it once, until I realized how heavy they are....stayed with light guitars. Might try mandolin some day, but guitars are challenging enough for me.
I play Irish trad on Mandolin and also own an octave mandolin and tenor guitar. They're all tuned in fifths and so I reasoned they'd be easy enough to switch between. For this reason I've also considered the four string tenor banjo, although that's best suited to Irish tunes and trad jazz. It's an option though..

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
"Wow man!!!! You made a GREAT choice! I was going to say - when it comes to banjo's you really do get what you pay for. I have a Gold Tone that I love dearly, it's a nice banjo for the price point, but it doesn't touch my 1970 Mastertone... I have no doubts you're gonna love that Davis! Man does she look sweet! Congrats!"

Thank You for saying that. I really wanted to do this. I'm glad you liked my choice.

old soul

Tele-Holic
My recently deceased guitar teacher played the banjo, among other things. We had a few good tunes we would do as a guitar/ banjo duet. It always amazed me how heavy and loud they are. I remember him saying that if you ever found one with a brass bell instead of aluminum, it was a high-end instrument. There's bound to be tons of good deals on used ones out there as the banjo demographic gets older and dies.
I have a mandolin as a alternate to guitar, but it gets confusing being gdae instead of the top 4 strings being eadg on a guitar.
Enjoy your new adventure

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I. Still. have one on my knee!

FB_IMG_1570590431380.jpg
av

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
My new Davis Don Reno 5 string Bluegrass Banjo arrived yesterday and I Love It. It has a bell like tone to it. Not what I expected at all. I've played so many Guitar Center / Local seller banjos over the years and have come to expect a "brassy", "bright" tonality. My new Davis sounds similar to the "bell like" tonality of some Strats I've owned. It has a full bodied tone. It's not all top end. It doesn't have a "raspy" quality to it. It's just freakin'Beautiful!

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
So ...... Here are a few photos of my new Banjo.

I love the lightly reliced metal parts. It makes it look well played yet super cared for because Davis did not relic any of the wood parts. You can see this pretty well in the side shoot image along the metal rim and the full front image on the armrest. When I chose it I really hadn't checked out the inlay work. It's perfect. Beautifully done. I also love the old style head stock shape too IMG_1130.jpeg IMG_1141.jpeg .
IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1148.jpeg
IMG_1146.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg
IMG_1141.jpeg
img_1126-jpeg.944812
img_1153-jpeg.944809

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 27

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Well when you were discussing a Gold Tone or Deering, I could relate...

But now I am just jealous. 😏

Nice choice. The best thing about a Davis or similar, i that you are likely to get a carefully setup instrument right from the start.
Really nice. Hope you find playing it to your liking.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Swear to Good I'm a guitarist 1st and a Tele player right after that but I have never been more excited about a new instrument, the challenges it presents and the rewards to come from the work, practice and study in front of me. This spring I'll be out on the front porch pickin' away while attracting all sort of woodland beast and hound dog. I'll be bringing forth the essence of Earl Scruggs, Jed Clampett, Roy Clark, the strange kid in the tree in Deliverance, The Darling family from the Andy Griffith Show, (The Dillards), and Steve Martin from his "Surprise! I can play a banjo" routines. Life is good!!!