thinking about becoming a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not true. A bowl of beans and brown rice is a more complete protein than you get from beef, and is much more digestable. Add in some diced tomatos, onions, chiles or other peppers, a little cheese to top it off, and you've got a bowl full of one increbible meal that trumps eating meat where health is concerned on every level.

2. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I guess that means I should throw away my prescription eyeglasses and the orthotics in my shoes. :rolleyes:

Humans like to get drunk and high, too. Doesn't mean it's good for you, or a good choice of lifestyle for everyone.

3. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps you prefer the way that lions, tigers, and bears treat their food, tearing it up limb from limb while it's still alive.

As far as diets go, a healthful balance is the way to go. A bowl of beans and brown rice may be more complete protein than you get from beef, and and may be more digestible, but you wouldn't want to eat it every day, and it can lead to other problems.

The thing is that all people don't have the same digestive tendencies, and genetic makeup, and how food affects one person may be different that the way it affects another.

Eating a diet heavy in beef may return too much cholesterol and fat.

Eating a diet heavy in beans and rice may lead to gallstones for some people, and can also be too many carbs for some.

Balance your diet. Choose food based on the vitamins and minerals, fats and carbs that your body needs. Exercise regularly. Pay attention to how the food affects your body.

4. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

i think so too.
    thanks a lot for your ideas folks.

the "once a week organic chicken"-plan sounds pretty good.
    guess i have to find a good source for meat that comes from well raised animals.

5. Jakedog

If you have a small space, and it's legal in your area, you could always raise your own chickens. Just a thought. I'd do it if I could. Some for eggs, some for meals. You'd definitely know exactly what you were getting then when you decided to eat eggs or chicken.

6. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

I don't eat meat because I can get all the nutrients I need without having to kill animals.

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've been a vegetarian for 22 years. It's been so long that I don't even think of it as "unusual" any more.

8. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

I said this in our last big vegetarian thread:

Meaties will always harp on about protein. Getting protein from an all-veggie diet is EASY, you really won't have to worry about it that much. Getting all of your essential B-vitamins, on the other hand, can be quite daunting. Supplements are a really good idea.*

As others have said you may want to try going for humanely raised meat before cutting meat out altogether (unless, of course, you're objecting to the fact that they are dying which shouldn't really bother anyone, but that's another issue). If you can't, then wholly veggie might be the way. There are a lot (many thousands) of fantastic vegetarian dishes and recipes. I have lots of veggie friends and I have never once felt unfulfilled after eating at their place (although, I once ate freshly "harvested" cactus pilfered from the hills behind a friend's apartment. It wasn't very good....such an awful texture).

Dark green leafy vegetables are your best friend (kale and the like). Not only are they FULL of all sorts of important nutrients (yes, including protein!) as are most other dark green leafy veggies (and even non-leafy veggies like broccoli) but they also require a fair it of chewing. This may sound stupid but some of my veggie friends said that they really missed masticating like you have to do with meat and that dark green leafy vegetables helped to sort of bridge the gap. Spinach is a great food you'll likely come to rely on, there's lots you can do with it and it pretty much always tastes good.

* For more, in general, see E.N. Anderson's Nutritional Anthropology classic, "Everyone Eats".

9. jjkrause84

While I very much agree with your sentiment (CAFOs and other modern industrial horror-houses aside) I think you might want to brush up on how big cats hunt and kill prey. There is no "tearing it limb form limb while it's still alive"....this isn't Jurassic Park and lions aren't hairy raptors.

As for bears....do fish really have 'limbs'?

10. jjkrause84

Ah!

Yes, another thing I forgot to mention: Chilis!

Chilis are chock full of important vitamins and vitally important to the health in many millions (perhaps billions) of people around the world (especially in South Asia and other places renowned for their spicy food).

11. mads6710

mads6710 TDPRI Member

Im a vegetarian, and i love it! I miss meat once in a while, but i feel way better eating raw-vegetables and beans, lenses etc. I had a tendency to "over-eat" before, and i don't do that anymore. So i feel way better, especially after a meal.

12. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

I switched to a "mostly" vegetarian diet, about a year ago and have been fully vegetarian for about six months. I researched "ethical" meats, visiting farmer's markets and talking to several people but usually it turned out to be repackaged commercial stuff or had some other great flaw.

Going vegetarian seemed like a daunting task until I did it. I certainly didn't intend to do it, it just happened as a result of researching my diet.

I didn't just stop eating meat, I phased it out, slowly finding new meals to replace my old standbys. I found motivation to cook, which I didn't have before. I've been pleasantly surprised to find I don't miss or crave things I used to love, a few hamburgers a week, bacon and egg sandwiches, etc. I also feel much better(unless I've splurged on dairy).

13. Jakedog

Just to be clear, I am in no way advocating vegetarianism, or saying that people shouldn't eat meat, or anything else of that nature. My choice to not eat any red meat, as I stated, has nothing to do with politics, morality, or anything like that. It's all about health.

No, you wouldn't want to eat nothing but bowls of beans and rice, it wouldn't be much better for you nutritionally speaking than if you ate nothing but beef at every meal.

I am merely trying to illustrate that it is entirely possible for anybody, and I mean anybody, to have a very healthy, balanced, and protein and nutrient rich diet that does not contain meat. You can still get all of your protein, all of your vitamins, your fats, everything you need to be healthy, without meat. Things don't have to be higher in salt, colesterol, fats, carbs, or anything else. As with any other dietary choice, it'a all about eating right.

Yes, there are unhealthy vegetarians. I know some. You still have to eat right. Just as with meat eaters, you need a balanced and healthy diet. But there are thousands of meal and recipe options that do not include meat that do everything your body needs, and will be very fulfilling. That's all I'm saying. For people who do have moral or political issues with meat, these are great choices.

I always find it funny that I get way more grief and abuse for not eating meat by the public by and large, than I ever got from extremists and PETA types for eating it. I find it odd that someone making a choice to have a healthy non-meat diet is met with so much hostility and incredulity most of the time. Do some research folks, there are lots of ways to do this healthy, and lots of ways to do this un-healthy, just like any other dietary regimen. If you like meat great, eat the heck out of it. I'm just trying to let people know that if they don't want to eat meat, they don't need to. Nobody does. You can be perfectly healthy and fulfilled without it. I will never understand why people get so up in arms and offended that some of us don't choose to eat animals. What's the big deal? I don't drink coffee or eat broccoli either. Is that offensive or silly? Garsh.

Some people seem to be really struggling with the idea that you can get everything you get from meat from a vegetarian diet, from nutrients, to that awesome "full" feeling. It can totally be done. You just have to do your homework and learn how to do it.

14. PaulCreedy

PaulCreedy Tele-Meister

I was at least 5st overweight at one time, though was more due to drinking too much than my veggie diet.

Don't forget egg and chips (fries) is a veggie meal, so you don't HAVE to eat healthily :D

15. ggiles

ggiles Tele-Meister

IF you really want to make a difference in your food and community ... regardless of being a vegetarian or not try and work in as much of the 100 mile diet as you can into your life.
    It is really simple, but can be hard to do depending on how far you take it ... buy all of your food within 100 miles of where you live.
    Go out and visit farms, orchards and the like. Keeping everyone on this planet fed under our current model is a failing one.

16. IllinoisTwang

IllinoisTwang Tele-Meister

This is life's natural cycle since the beginnin of time. I'm a farmer and I know how this works. I used to be a manager at Illinois second largest hog farm. Local people and grain farmers thrived on us. If we went under so would they. There's nothin unethical about it. These aren't dogs and cats here. They're livestock. Biologically mass produced for human consumption. To feed the nation and supply millions with jobs. This is America and this is the way its always been. If you wanna go Veggie, might as well go balls out, then by a prius and go live in a tent cuz I'm tellin ya; you might save the world!

17. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Banned

I've got a cat and a dog, and let me tell you something: my cat has no problem wiping her butt with her tongue, and my dog has no problem eating cat poop. It's natural. We're natural. Poop and butts are natural. No reason not to have a go at it, right? If it's good enough for nature, then there's no reason not to do it.

18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I didn't claw my way up the food chain to eat salad.

We raised cattle when I was a kid. I've dedicated enough of my life to those nasty dirty dumb beasties...

They owe me a debt that can never be repaid.

Having said that I'm gettin' my payback a pound of flesh at a time... :twisted:

19. Jakedog

All good points, but you missed the points of several other people. Livestock farmers are the WORST about this. Not everybody who wants to, or succeeds in going veg has a problem with farming, or meat being eaten. Sure, some do, but saying everybody who doesn't eat meat falls into that category is a vast generalization that is no idfferent than saying all computer programmers are 40 year old creepy virgins who live in their parents basements. It's a viewpoint rooted in ignorance.

My wife is veg, I'm very near it, no red meat in a very long time. Think what you want, but it has absolutely zero to do with moral issues about farming or eating animals, or saving the world.:rolleyes:

Likewise, we have two vehicles that get over 30 hwy MPG. Yeah, it's nice to know we're using less oil and thus polluting less, but really, it's hits hardest at the bank account. We save a ton of money, which allows us to have a better quality of life, AND we get to help the earth as a side affect. Same with meat. We get to be healthier, and in many cases, eat cheaper. Meat costs an arm and a leg, and really doesn't give me anything I can't get in a healthier manner from other food sources.

I don't care what you or anybody else does with a pig when it comes time for dinner. Have at it. But do me the courtesy of respecting my decisions as well, and don't lump me in with the fringe extremists because my lifestyle is different from yours.

20. Jakedog

Flawed logic. Patricide, matricide, infaticide, incest, cannabalism, all occur in huge proportion in the animal kingdom. Should we as humans participate in that too? After all, it's only natural...;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.