1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking About a Refin

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by WrayGun, Jan 20, 2021.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

This used to be my red burst Tele. Then I got sick of the dinged up dark red lacquer, and stripping it down.

Then came this baby-poop brown, done with tinted shellac. I’m not loving it, as it looks really uneven in person (I think it looks better in these photo).

So I’m thinking about having another go at it. I want something transparent, as it has really nice grain. What do you guys & girls think would look good? Maybe a butterscotch blonde? :)

Attached Files:

2. robinn

robinn TDPRI Member

Such pretty grain! Is it a Fender or a partscaster?

I kinda like the current finish but I get what you say about the unevenness. If you don't mind a little sanding, I say go for it.

Applying a great finish, especially a see through one, is not easy though. Do you have experience with spraying lacquer? I believe a good BSB/white blonde finish is best achieved with tinted lacquer.

In the past I have bothered with stains and dyes to get a blonde finish, but with no luck. I don't know about others though. These days when I finish a guitar body I want it as easy as possible. In your case, I would just sand it and finish it with Danish oil (or true oil). A nice natural look that will get a little yellow/aged in time.

Good luck!

WrayGun likes this.
  3. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

Thanks! It’s a partscaster. As for my experience with spraying lacquer, I’ve done a handful of guitars, using StewMac rattle cans. Some came out better than others :)-). So, I’m not a skilled refinisher by any means.

I’d like the finish to have some kind of color or density to it, because I don’t think it looks good with a natural body and a maple neck/fretboard.

dogmeat likes this.
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

yeah.. that deserves a better finish

5. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

like what? What would *you* do?

6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Do a brown/black burst rim on that guitar to try for a while before going completely different.
    Something like these guitars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Otherwise, just scuff sand and over-spray with a butterscotch or TV-Yellow 'transparent' that lets some grain through.

oldfish and WrayGun like this.
  7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

P1110344.JPG P1110377.JPG P1110270.JPG

heres 3 I did this year due to extra time on my hands. StewMack has color tints that mix with shellac and lacquer. I've done a few with both as a base. for me, the lacquer was a better carrier. you can mix your own tints or go one color. you can tint the wood, then sand it so that the grain pops a bit. then mix color clear to spray on top. shellac is hard to spray because it evaporates too fast. for black I use automotive paints. once done, I clear coat the works. I mostly use PPG, sometimes Dupont.

but, you can do it all with brush & wipes too (well, prolly not the blend for a burst, but maybe). I have several spray guns but also use an airbrush. you can rub on the color coats and then Trueoil over the top... all with wiping.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    WrayGun likes this.
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

btw... those tints also mix with water and alcohol which can be used to apply color straight to the wood. they are really strong dyes and a little goes a long ways

9. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Sure. That looks easy enough!

OP - strip the finish and try a some butterscotch blonde from StewMac or Reranch followed by clear lacquer topcoats to practice your rattle can chops first.

10. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

Hey, you’re pretty good at that.

11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

That grain would look awesome in BSB!
    Tele2.jpg

WrayGun likes this.
  12. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

In addition to the aforementioned butterscotch and white blonde, I'll throw mocha in the mix -- even if it may not be as big a departure from what you have now.

[​IMG]

WrayGun likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.