Thinking about a radical career change

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

For God's sake, go for it.........

I used to be an insurance analyst.
    Well paid, wealth of limited knowledge, respected company.

If I'd carried on down that route I would be dead now. Dramatic, but true.

The best music comes from people who looked into their soul and embraced what they found.
    Why should you be any different?

Everyone has the ability to change the world by accepting and celebrating what they are born to do.

You are doing yourself and us a terrible injustice by not embracing that.

I retrained as a nurse at 50.
    Finally, I accepted that caring for others is what I do best.
    I've never been happier. I feel fulfilled.

Go for it, and take our best wishes with you.

Archtops, brookdalebill and Big_Bend like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When you're sitting there staring at a can of Vienna Sausage, you might rethink that position. Just kidding I hope you work things out to your satisfaction, no one but you can live your life. When I was 52 years old, I took just the reverse action that you are contemplating, I left the world of doing what I wanted, and took up something I could make enough money at to retire, plus being able to live long enough to retire. As it turned out, the new job was satisfying, I made some money, and still had fun until I did retire.

Big_Bend likes this.
  3. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

In my experience, it's not the job that is important, it's the people you work with.

Then there's always professional poker.....

wrathfuldeity and Big_Bend like this.
  4. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction Tele-Meister

I didn't expect to be given life inspiration by TDPRI today, but this is some story. Really making me consider the path ahead. Thanks for sharing.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Like the Canadian @John Backlund!

P-Nutz likes this.
  6. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Was a United Auto Worker, executive chef and restaurant manager, raced bicycles and ran a bike shop, and at 35 became a public school teacher, the last nine as an administrator. At 60 I’ve got at least five left in me; I love my job, most adults non withstanding. Ms. Nutz did almost the same path, ‘ceptin’ the UAW part, and we ain’t never looked back. Follow your heart; I follow my tattoos 0BB8BBCC-0CEA-4CEF-9612-0A978FB0EECA.jpeg

Rustbucket and Fretting out like this.
  7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Plus one on this.

I have a friend who was a seasonal US Parks ranger for many years. He worked at many different parks but he didn't have a choice. He worked construction in the off season and rode his bicycle in the Texas hill country. He told me it's a job that was hard to get.
    It seems possible/likely that you are not the only the only burned out IT worker who is looking for something less stressful.
    I expect there still are hordes of folks who would love to be a ranger.

Mark

Greg70 likes this.
  8. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Good luck at whatever you decide to do. It really comes down to making sure you live your life beneath / at your means. Including during retirement. Whatever your “means” may be. If you can be happy with that, that’s what really matters.

I’m on a 7 year plan to (hopefully) retire at the age of 55, if “they” don’t end it before I do. What makes it a bit tougher is 3 kids to put through college (or at least I’d like to cover 2/3 of their college costs if it they choose private schools that are $300k/kid).

PS: and by “retirement”, I’d be fine with semi-retirement, even if I don’t end up needing the money. Either part time all year round or full time on a seasonal basis.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Rustbucket and Big_Bend like this.
  9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I have to come back to this from someone that changed careers three times with a wife and 5 kids......

P-Nutz likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

A friend of mine quit engineering in their 40s, bought a camper and traveled around for five to ten years working odd jobs, then went back to regular engineering work. Odd jobs included working the register at hardware stores or filling in at Amazon Holiday Warehouse work.

When vacationing at Yellowstone five years ago I ran across a couple who worked there during the summer teaching photography and painting classes in trade for free RV camp parking. In the winter they moved to Southern parks. Obviously there are not enough parks for the whole Baby Boomer generation to do that game, but it was a useful angle.

Several youtubers, I know one from IT that does unrelated non-IT content, runs around living in a camper and recording video content. They are looking for a small parcel 'out west' to park their camper and do youtube from there rather than on the road with inconsistent internet speeds.

This guy was in the movie 'Nomadland' that stared the actress Fran McDormand, but has a good channel for figuring out how best to structure your life around being a nomad. Like where and how to create your 'permanent address' so you still get social security checks and consider state and city tax issues.

As far as the post I saw about paying kid's college ... I was on my own. I had savings from working and hustling during high school to cover the first two years of college, then I got a co-op job in my field (more valuable than a typical 'summer job') to finish out my undergrad STEM degree leaving college with zero debt. I saved during my first years working and when I later married I paid off my wife's rather large student loans with my savings (you marry the person and their debts). Parents paying for college can create less 'gumption'. A kid who was a senior when I started as a freshman was still there ungraduated when I left with my degree, I've seen others wander through several different paths 'finding themselves' and never satisfied meanwhile their parents are toughing it out in very un-fun jobs. It's a very noble gesture to pay for the kid's college, but it's risky.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Nelg likes this.
  11. stomped box

stomped box Tele-Meister

I was leaving a state-run campground the last week of April way out in flyover BFE. The place was mostly empty then, and I had been chatting with the maintenance guy who ran the place at the boat ramp and around. He had said the place was booked solid from mid May to October, which of course had never happened. I waved and said GOOD LUCK.

I suspect being a ranger or campground host has been like a four-month weekend just about everywhere this summer. And you know people have been on their best behavior.

I'm a greying IT type who'd like to bail, too, but I did that for 15 years already and now am back trying to hang on and play catch up ball.

Big_Bend likes this.
  12. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I'd love to be a florist.

13. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

I love this ^
    My wife has 6 years to retirement. We are hoping to travel around with either an RV or a camping van and our gravel bikes. We like the outdoors. Cycling, running, hiking and recently due to a flooded neighborhood, kayaking are some of the things we enjoy. We also enjoy endurance sports.

As for the OP, I'm also in the IT field. A single man operation taking care of small businesses. I'm 56 and still enjoy much of what I do. Fortunately, my competition is usually overpriced and not as adaptive so I'm still fairly spry in my client's eyes.

Getting a job as a park ranger is tough without a degree in that field. The list of applicants is long. My friend's wife is a park ranger. He applied, but his Boston College of Music Bachelors music degree didn't help push him up the list. He works in a factory and teaches online.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Man, I am about exactly in your situation (30 years in IT/Software Development, totally burned out on the constant studying) and many times I have wanted to also switch working for parks n rec. Also, while mountain biking I have seen these rangers way out in the middle of nowhere, leaking on a truck, in their green or beige shirt, and thought: "that's the life for me".

Cannot take the pay cut though, due to the family and house responsibilities.

15. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you are referring to my post re college costs, I agree up to a point. Which is why I’ll pay for 2/3 of their college costs. They’ve got to have some meaningful skin in the game.

I, like you, covered my own way. I worked 20-30 hrs/week during school, but also went to undergrad on a fully paid academic scholarship (actually, I think there were $300/year of lab fees.) The rest of my post-undergrad work (7 more years and 2 additional degrees) was at night. I worked full time during the day.

16. lustin1337

lustin1337 NEW MEMBER!

Well, I'm stuck in the career choice..

I'm kind of in front end, ux etc (don't laugh) but I just love music..so I can't see myself
    Spending 8h per day for a expected programing result...

And money don't make us happier! I hope You can enjoy Your campin style

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It may be just what you need!
    Perhaps you just need a good break from your old career.
    I never had a career, I had bone headed, dead end retail day jobs, and gigs.
    I lived for the gigs.
    I still do.
    I’m grateful they still present themselves to me.
    I haven’t had a full time day job in over a decade.
    Anyways, you’re a smart guy, you’ll land on your feet.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Before you go rushing headlong into a new career, there is one question that remains to be asked; Is your car warranty about to expire?

19. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Wise words young man. Are you sure you're in your 20's

BackwaterJunction likes this.
  20. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I think its a great move for piece of mind. I retired at 58 from the military. Talk about burned out. I had the opportunity to contract work for one of the big military complex employers. I turned it down and played my guitar instead. That was my career change. Most folks get out and get those military related jobs to supplement their retirements and make good money but my bucket list goal was to play guitar. So, that's what I did. Best of luck.

wrathfuldeity and Big_Bend like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.