Thinking about a Peavey Bandit 65 as a back up amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by McGlamRock, Feb 17, 2016.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

So I'm exchanging emails with a guy on Craigslist and think I might end up with a Peavey Bandit 65.

My Mesa F-30 is the only electric guitar amp I have, that can compete with a full drum set. So the Peavey would be a small SS backup, in case I get a bad tube, etc... at a gig. I think this one has the original Scorpion speaker which I have heard good things about

Anyone out there use a Peavey Bandit 65 in a full band setting (mostly pop and dance music)?

Can it over power drums? How about a loud drummer? :lol:

I'd love to hear about your experiences with the Bandit 65

2. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I don't but my brother has used one as his main amp for years ... It isn't a bad sounding amp ... but if your drummer plays really loud you may need to mic it. IMO for all of the stuff I play these days it would be fine as a back up. Try one out first.

I have a Peavey Special 130 which is really loud ... the '65 should do.

RedRock likes this.
  3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

THe 65 specifically, has a very loud, very sweet sounding clean channel (from the super reverb school of thought)

Takes pedals extremely well

codamedia and RedRock like this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I can't imagine a drummer playing loud enough to drown out a Bandit 65. It's a great amp, and seriously loud.

RedRock likes this.
  5. McGlamRock

I'm definitely gonna try it out first; my main concern is that it will sound plenty loud at the guy's house, but when I use it live I'll have to crank it to 11.

Did your brother play out much?

6. McGlamRock

That is great to hear! If that's the case, it may quickly get promoted to number 1 spot (at least for the freebie gigs)

7. homesick345

I would not be surprised.

Owned & played a 65 for MANY years - this was my 1st amp. I know what I'm talking about..... Heck , even the effect loop was great (better than many boutiques I own)

Do try it before you buy. If in good shape; it should be very loud, & sweet sounding

RedRock likes this.
  8. McGlamRock

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it

I've seen some old Peavey Bandit 112's for sale online too. Is there any big difference between the Peavey Bandit 112's and the Bandit 65's?

Or was that Peavey just rebranding?

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a '90s silver stripe Bandit 112 with the Sheffield speaker. It's loud enough to be heard with any drummer (or many drummers). Beautiful cleans. Not small or light though. I'd guess it's 55 lbs, probably made of particle board. Very roadworthy.

Just pulled it out and cranked it up yesterday for the first time in months.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  10. homesick345

I dunno - but just to be on the safe side; I'd say they sucked after the 65 (just me being a jerk - I would bet the 1st transtubes were awesome also)

All this being said, I think this is one of the most beautiful & wholesome combo amp shapes ever executed.

[​IMG]

codamedia likes this.
  11. McGlamRock

Well I just impulsively bought a Bandit 112, blue stripe w/ a scorpion speaker. It was like $110 + tax and shipping.

According to Peavey's website this model has all the transtube features, they just hadn't branded it as such yet- so hopefully mine won't suck too much :lol:

I'm still gonna meet with the guy from Craigslist with the 65. If I love the 65 I can just return the 112

12. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Bandit 65 is one of the all-time greats and if it's not loud enough, you have a serious problem.

It's a great backup amp for a Mesa and was in fact marketed as a Boogie-killer back in the day. It has channel switching, with the common limitations that come from shared EQ.

The other thing to keep in mind is its old-school construction. Big PC board with lots of discrete components. The jacks are mounted to the chassis, not soldered to the board. It is a cinch to service, though it's unlikely to ever need it. In short, an almost-indestructible lifetime amp.

With that in mind, why did I sell mine? Stupid, stupid, stupid. At least it went to a good home; a mom bought it for her beginning guitarist kid. She wisely listened to the kid's teacher (and me) who both told her the $125 she paid me for it was a MUCH better investment than in any new beginner amp.

There's a store not too far from here that has a Bandit 65 in stock. I should go buy it.

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I own a Bandit 65. In fact, that's it in homesick's post, as in that's my pic of my amp in my living room.

[​IMG]

As has been said, seriously loud, great cleans, solid amps (and heavy as sin).

I've also owned the model that came after the 65, the Bandit 75. I've owned and played through a bunch of Peavey amps: the teal stripes, the black box/silver stripes (the 1st branded as TransTube), the red stripes. I've sold a couple, given away a few, still have a couple. I like the older ones best.

So if you can afford to, and you're concerned about volume, you could keep the teal stripe and the 65 and set them up on either side of the stage. I did that once with my 65 & 75 on a large stage at an outdoor gig on Padre Island.

RedRock likes this.
  14. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Go for the 65...

Yes, my experience exactly -- the later ones (112) etc. have slightly larger (and heavier!) cabs and a little more power.

The 65 is my hands-down favourite Bandit. Don't recall seeing this noted above, but you will need a footswitch to access the clean channel on the 65.

RedRock likes this.
  15. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I gig three nights a week with my old Bandit 65 and it does the job... I had one years ago which was OK but not the best as I had my Deluxe Reverb with a 12" JBL speaker on board... A while back I picked up an old Bandit 65 from a pedal steel player for a very low price which had a 12" Black Widow speaker installed and it shoved my DRR right off the bandstand as it sounded so good and was louder and cleaner.... I think it'll be seeing the majority of my gigs from now on..........JH in Va.

RedRock likes this.
  16. McGlamRock

Hmmm, don't like the idea of the 112 being heavier, but I also don't like the idea of the 65's clean channel being accessible only by a foot switch (since I will likely use the clean channel almost exclusively).

Also the guy on craigslist with the '65' is starting to get flakey. He didn't respond about his address and phone number for our scheduled meet up until an hour before we were supposed to meet (2 days after my email). And even then, he wanted to reschedule for this weekend... too much of a PITA for me.

Anyway, the 112 I bought online yesterday is OTW; so if that thing sounds ok and can get loud (which based on your responses, should be no prob) I'll be happy.

17. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

You can stick a dummy 1/4 plug in the footswitch jack to get to the clean channel on the Bandit 65. No need for a footswitch. Great sounding amps :!:

Here's mine

RedRock likes this.
  18. McGlamRock

That's a good idea about the foot switch.
    Dig the tone on your 65 and the reverb is nice too!

19. JLC78TELE

JLC78TELE Tele-Meister

Hmmm, don't like the idea of the 112 being heavier, but I also don't like the idea of the 65's clean channel being accessible only by a foot switch (since I will likely use the clean channel almost exclusively).

If you don't have the foot pedal just stick a patch cable in the foots witch jack, it will enable the clean channel.

20. JLC78TELE

JLC78TELE Tele-Meister

Beat me to it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.