1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking About A New Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by smoothrecluse, Sep 25, 2020.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Telecastoff1 likes this.
  2. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

That gold/ black flathead combo is gorgeous. The Ford font is a nice touch.

3. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The seat height is actually one of my concerns - I only have about a 30” inseam - I’m all torso with short arms and legs. I’ll have to throw a leg over one at the dealership and see how it goes.

I do have room for both bikes, so I think I’ll keep the Harley, and if I fall out of love with it, I can sell it to some youngster with more cash than brains.

4. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

I hate that.
    But I know how you feel. My crash was on a dirt bike. It would have been okay, but I hit a tree and screwed up my right hip. It was a long way from a main road and luckily my bike was rideable. Road it all the way home with a crooked front end and a leaking petcock. Had most of my weight on the left peg and felt every bump. I was kind of forced to get back on the horse as they say.
    I still ride but it only early in the morning on weekends when there is no traffic.
    There are two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those that have crashed and those that have not crashed yet.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  5. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You can lower it if you like...

I lowered my C14 2.75" using stock ZX-14 suspension links.

Cost me $21 and has not affected handling negatively, even 2 up..... thumbnail (12).jpg

smoothrecluse likes this.
  6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Ford V8 60 . Engines were built from 1937-40 . 135 CI displacement V8 . The 60 referred to HP . The 1937 through 39 engine blocks used steel plates on the sides of the block . In 1940 the block was a 1 piece casting . When built properly , they were competition for the Offenhauser power plant in a Midget race car . Vic Edelbrock was known to have some success with them , but they were no match for a truly good Offy . Known to get away quickly , a good Offy was capable of running them down and leaving them behind .
    Never seen anything about one being grafted to a motorcycle platform . Cool idea .

7. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Cool idea, but I doubt if a flathead V8 would run very cool on a motorcycle, unless it has a big radiator hidden somewhere, and they run hot even with a big radiator.

8. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I turned 73 this summer and decided I wanted a little more stability. I sold my Honda Rebel 500 and got one of these. Just love it.
    F4B62377-AEBE-4E97-80F5-921F4E117228.jpeg

9. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking same as you... I had an old 883

Now I ride a Dyna

[​IMG]

Jake909, stormsedge and smoothrecluse like this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was all set to buy a bike, then one of my wife's coworkers bought the farm after kissing the front end of a Kenworth after owning his Road King for a whopping 2 days. Now I have to start over with convincing Mrs. O.D.R. to let the funds loose.

11. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Are new (2021) bikes available this year?

New harley models are introduced in late August. I was told at a dealership that there will be no 21s till February at the earliest.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I only had one crash, dropped my bike in a curve--I think my rear tire hit oil or something. It was shockingly, not that bad. Handlebar and clutch pedal slightly bent, one exhaust pipe a little scuffed up, and I was fine. I got on it and rode it home.

The last bike I owned was about 25 years ago. Rode it year round unless it was snowing. Really enjoyed it. But nowadays, with all the distracted (texting) driving? No way I'd get on a motorcycle. I just don't trust the other guy.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Just get one that fits you well. (I had a MG V11 Sport that was a joy to ride once I got it sorted out, but my knees hurt every time I think about it...I probably had an inch too much inseam for it.)

As for me, I'm on a convertible kick for the time being...much more comfortable for my old bones.

Happy hunting!

Colo Springs E likes this.
  14. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

I'd love one; there's a couple in town, it'd be great for groceries, going skiing or for the grab and go jam

xtelesquirex likes this.
  15. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I think they're super cool. There used to be a video from the company showing guys out in the snow with them. Looks like a ton of fun to me.

16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Q: Am I ready to sell?
    A: An emphatic YES!

Q: Should I compromise on my purchase?
    A: An emphatic NO!

Q: Am I being emotional or practical?
    A: I'll be practical: SELL the Sportster.

Q: Is a happy wife a happy life?
    A. YES. Sell the Sportster. Buy a HD touring bike!

17. smoothrecluse

“Q: Is a happy wife a happy life?
    A. YES. Sell the Sportster. Buy a HD touring bike!“

It would be a HARD sell to get her on the back of a bike. She’d rather have one of her own, which I’m all for, but she has to take the motorcycle safety course first. She wants either a Ural or a Scrambler-style bike.

18. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

A friend bought a used one about 10 years ago. He had it for a year or so and sold it.

It was basically not too good. I was at his place one day watching him try to replace a starter. The starter drive design was a nightmare.

Hopefully they have improved over time.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    xtelesquirex likes this.
  19. smoothrecluse

Yeah, Urals look cool, but I’ve heard for years that they have reliability problems, and I don’t think they go fast enough to safely ride highways in the U.S. I like to be able to pull ahead of traffic and get out of people’s way if necessary. I thought about getting a sidecar for the sporty, but if it doesn’t have brakes on the sidecar, I could see that getting sketchy real quick.

Wally likes this.
  20. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It’s been well over 20 years since I’ve ridden, and if I were to do it again it would be a Yamaha TW200 for backroads, trails and camping. I’ve seen too many bad accidents on the highways and I no longer feel invincible. Plus, it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast one slow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.