Thinking About A New Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by smoothrecluse, Sep 25, 2020.

1. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I bought a Harley Nightster 1200 about ten years ago during a quarter-life crisis. It’s gone through several changes over the years, and now it’s a stripped-down bobber. I love it, and it gets looks wherever I go, but it’s a deathmachine that gets 80-90 miles per tank, and usually by then I’m more than ready to get off and stretch.

I’m looking at a new Kawasaki Versys 650 LT, and although it’s not the prettiest machine, it has safety features, working mirrors, ample storage, a 5 gallon-gas tank, and comfort.

I know I should trade in the sportster, but I’m sure I’ll get an insulting trade-in offer, and dammit - it just makes me happy to look at.

I don’t know what I want out of this thread, but I need to vent to the universe. If I bring the topic up with the Mrs. one more time she’ll probably make me wish I hadn’t.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    fishermike likes this.
  2. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Can't go wrong with the Kawi, great engine, good suspension, smooth reliable.... :)

I am biased, I've owned 9 Kawasaki bikes since the 80's, currently have 3 of them... ;)

SuprHtr and smoothrecluse like this.
  3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Draw a chalk box next to the Harley. If you have the space, it deserves to be filed with whatever you want.
    I bought an Escapade trailer to tow behind my Ultra. I told my wife it was extra storage for shopping when we took long trips. She loved that trailer. I love the Ultra.

smoothrecluse likes this.
  4. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

5. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I know what you mean have a 2009 lowrider in the garage. I move it more than I ride it.
    should of kept klr 650.But I did keep my kawasaki quad.

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Any bike with less than a small-block Chevy motor will always be underpowered ...

Screenshot_20200925-203438_Chrome.jpg

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  7. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

I've owned and ridden (and in many cases, gotten in trouble on) just about everything in every style.
    Yet theres always that lust for a new adventure.

Motard. Electric. Are ya ready? :cool:

8. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Be careful out there. It’s never always up to you.

rangercaster likes this.
  9. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

I just bought a Guzzi V9 Roamer. Loving it. Wish I had discovered MG 48 years ago.

10. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

The other I was getting a tag for my wife’s car. Because of the Wuhan virus they give you a number and take your phone number then text you when your number is up. Anyway the Indian dealership was just across the street. It was a forty five minute wait so I got to look at a lot of Indians. They are beautiful motorcycles. Polaris owns them now and I hear they are reliable. On the other hand Japanese motorcycles are very reliable and get good gas mileage. But man those Indian bikes are beautiful.
    upload_2020-9-25_23-5-12.jpeg

DonM and carpenter like this.
  11. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

IM007992.jpg
    Uhh, no!

It's not just power, its power to weight ratio.

Turbo Hayabusa made 534 horsepower on the wheel and weighs 467 pounds

502 boss hoss weighs 1300 pounds, around 450 horsepower on the wheel...

SuprHtr and carpenter like this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I envy you and everyone else who still rides....I can't do it anymore.

I grew up practically living on a Kaw 440 Ltd in High School. One night after a house party in the country I spilled it on a thick gravel rode and ended up in a cornfield with a collapsed lung and broken ribs. I could barely crawl back to the road before I passed out. An hour later, I was nearly run over by a pickup that went into the ditch on the other side. He wasn't hurt, just stinking drunk. So much so that he wasn't able to drive so I had to drive us both to the hospital 30 minutes away.

I couldn't get over the fear after the crash and didn't ride again for 20 years when I purchased a retired Police bike (Kaw KZ1000) from St Louis. It was so cool and had all the equipment still on it including the radio box. It took me 2 weeks to get the courage up to leave my driveway with it, made it about 4 miles and was struck from behind by an idiot in a Mustang while at a stop light. The bike was undamaged (lots of roll bars), but I broke my left wrist and tore my MCL in my right knee.

I never rode again, sold the bike and decided that it just wasn't meant to be for me. I still find myself looking at them on the showroom floor, but that is as far as I get today.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Versys is a great bike that checks a lot of boxes....

14. rangercaster

15. rangercaster

The Chevy motor has more torque at lower RPM. ...

richiek65 likes this.
  16. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

A couple of guys in our informal motorcycle breakfast group have Bergman scooters. The love them for casual riding. Both the 650 and 400 are capable on the highway, and quite comfortable. My 1000cc Vstrom is too tall and heavy for me to enjoy riding much, at the age of 78. Gotta get something smaller. I have a little experience on electric bicycles, and they are a hoot. I also really dig the TW 200 Yamahas, rare and pricey on the used market around here.

Telecastoff1 and G-52 like this.
  17. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Get a Ural. You can bring the wife and they have 2-wheel drive.
    [​IMG]

18. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I should hope so. At three times the weight of current open class bikes it HAS to have more torque to have even a hope of similar performance. In a straight line. Cuz at that weight when the road turns it's game over compared to other bikes. Not that it's straight line performance would be all that impressive either...

It's a gimmick bike. Absolutely nothing going for it other than "Look at me, I've got a CAR engine in a bike!" Come on, if it's gimmicks you're after at least go old school and use a flathead from the days before production bikes with over 200+ hp could be bought off the showroom floor complete with warranties.

VF7MN6TLPRHSJHMH2DWRTCLLIU.jpg

The only thing worse than a Boss Hoss is that idiotic Viper-powered "Tomahawk" four wheeled "motorcycle". Four wheels. How many wheels does a motorcycle have? Not four.

OP- If you like your Harley and can swing it, keep it. Of course a dealer won't give you much of anything for trade in value on it, they don't want to try to sell a customized Harley.

Wally, John Backlund, rz350 and 5 others like this.
  19. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I always watch the rear view mirror when stopped in traffic.On a bike.
    Saved myself 2 times. I also leave enough space to get out of the way.
    Been rear-ended 3 times in cars.

duzie likes this.
  20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Questions;

How tall are you, smoothrecluse?
    (This is in relation to the seat height on the Kawasaki, and indeed, most adventure-touring bikes.)

And is there room in your garage for both the Nightster and the new motorcycle?

I would keep both if I were you.
    And I am the master of re-arranging the space in my garage to make room for stuff.

Right now I just have the one motorcycle, and it's a nimble little bastard.
    So under-powered and maneuverable, it's unlikely to ever get me in trouble.

:)

Suzuki 24 degrees 20 Jan 2020.JPG

Barbeque John and SuprHtr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.