Thinking about a new cell phone...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

...I'm not very "tech-ie", so I'm not current on all the new cell phone technology. I'd like to be able to surf the net and it would be nice to have some music options...like an I-Pod. Wha'da'ya' think? I-Phone?? Something else?? Recommendations please. Thank you.

Tom

2. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

iphones are great. But be ready to shell out for the phone, calling plan and data plan. I don't know what I'd do without mine. You'll get a lot of people telling you how great phone X, Y or Z is, but the consensus of all the reviews I have seen seems to be the iphone is not without flaws but is the best of the bunch.

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

DROOOIIID:D
    it's important.to know how att or Verizon service is in your area. For me that meant getting the Droid. They pretty much all do the same things and will all be obsolete before your contract expires.

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

im still using the first and only cell i got back in 2002

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

In 1994 I worked for a company that provided a 10 # brick for a phone that died after 5 min of use. I was old even by then.

I love my Crack Berry. But it;s a company phone.

6. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

There are many times that I wish I still had my StarTac from the late 90s...

[​IMG]

Just about everything I've had since breaks after a year or so.

I agree with Bones, it depends on the locally available service.

As cool as iPhones and Droids are, I just can't get past the monthly data charges :eek:

7. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

I like my iPhone. When I was ready to switch to a "smart phone," I thought about the Palm Pre, because I'd used a Palm PDA in the past. But at the time, it would've meant switching carriers from AT&T to Sprint. I'd been with AT&T for years and always had good coverage, but I'd had some negative experiences with Sprint. So I decided to stick with AT&T.

That still left me with a bunch of options, but I didn't want (or need) a CrackBerry, and I wasn't sure about Windows Mobile. So I went with an iPhone, and I've really come to love it. I use it all the time to listen to music, watch videos (ripped from DVD) while waiting for the bus, get directions (via the built in Google maps app), etc. It's my alarm clock and my pocket calculator. Oh, and apparently it's also a phone. :D

But Bones is right -- it truly depends on what services are best in your area and what phones they offer. If you've got a carrier you're happy with, and you're not sure how the other carriers cover your area, your best bet is to stick with your carrier and pick a smart phone from the ones they offer. If you're with AT&T and happy with their service, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the iPhone. I'd get an iPhone 4 today if I could spare the money.

8. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I have been very happy with my iPhone.

Tim

9. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

Happy camper with my android droid-x on verizon. It'll play my personal pandora mix on my car radio, do voice direction with GPS, handles all my email accounts combined or separately, texting, plays movies and internet TV, browses the WWW with Flash support, and so on.

As for music on the go it uses (and comes with) a removable SD card to hold 16GB and will play whatever you can copy over from your computer and has apps dedicated to syncing and managing your multimedia.

10. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

iphone or android.. go mess with them and see which you like better

11. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

Android all the way.

12. bigrinwv

bigrinwv Tele-Meister

My Android is way too smart for me. I long for the good old days when phones were mounted in cars or came in bags. With that said I think I'm finally starting to make peace with the 'droid. In this area you have to have an amplifier and external antenna to get more than spotty service. One of the problems has been getting the 'droid to match up with the car mount kit. The other has been the touch screen calling people I haven't intended to call. I started using a screen lock and that keeps the phone from turning on in my pocket. I guess what I am saying is if I had to recommend a smart phone I'd go with the 'droid.

13. kec!

kec! Tele-Holic

Look into a prepaid service (no data) and an unlocked phone with wifi. Lotsa folks are doing it. I just signed up with T-Mobile family plan, no data, no texting, $70 for 4 phones. I am planning on getting an unlocked phone to use with wifi (free).

14. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

I have an iPhone and a Sony X10 Android.

The iPhone has more apps, including the Peterson Strobe Tuner and Amplitube iRig which I use all the time. it's UI is more intuitive than the Android and the touch sensitivity is better.
    The Andriod has a larger screen and came with excellent GPS navigation built-in ($59 in iPhone). I prefer the tool used to sync with my PC files and it's awesome integration with Google, Gmail and Google calendar.

The newest Androids should be even better but the iPhone is easier for a data phone newbie.

15. jjh37854

jjh37854 Tele-Afflicted

if you have good ATT coverage, and wanna spend 100 a month, then iPhone, no question

if ATT is bad for ya, then droid it, I got the Droid X on Verizon after loving the iPhone and hating ATT, I miss my old device, but first and foremost its gotta be a well functioning phone.

oh and almost all the cheapo phones do email and music now, no need to a smartphone, but if you want a fun toy too, then its worth it.

16. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

I think that pretty well sums it up. Choose the provider, then choose the phone. The best/coolest phone in the world won't do you any good if the provider's service in your area is crappy.

As far as the phones themselves go, I'm very happy with the iPhone....I had a 3G, recently upgraded to the iPhone 4. I've played with the Droids a bit, but like the iPhone's UI much better....it isn't quite as customizable as the Droid (unless you jailbreak the phone), but to me it's more intuitive and easier to use. Despite the fact that there are tons of stupid/useless apps in the iTunes app store, there are also plenty of fun, useful and productive ones if you take a little time to sort through the dreck.

The only other piece of advice I'll offer from personal experience - if web browsing is in fact part of what you want to do, do NOT get a Blackberry. The screen is too small and navigating with the trackball/trackpad is incredibly frustrating. I've owned two different BB's (8830WE and 9630/Tour), and web browsing sucked so bad that I would only resort to it when I absolutely needed to look something up....just doing it for fun was no fun at all. The BB Storm has a bigger screen and is "touch friendly", but I tested it when I was originally deciding between it and the iPhone 3G, and to me there was no comparison...I didn't like the BB near as well.

The Droid X looks like a pretty cool phone....if AT&T didn't work for me and I couldn't have the iPhone, it would probably be my next choice.

17. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

I have the iphone4, my first smart phone. You can tell that every very tiny detail has had thought put into it by those geeks at apple, a pleasure to use.

Its popular to hate on apple since they have more brand visibility and success, but do not let naysayers put you off.

18. jumpnblues

I'd really like to go with an iPhone but US Cellular has somewhat of a monopoly in Iowa. I'm not sure how to go about finding out about iPhone service and coverage in our area?

Tom

19. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

In the U.S., it's easy -- 'cause only AT&T has the iPhone.

20. jumpnblues

How do I find out if AT&T has coverage here?

Tom

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.