Thinking about a Kemper...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by swervinbob, Apr 11, 2021.

1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

This has been my experience as well...
    I've got a nice variety of IR's but I'll reach for the Celestions first.

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I may have to try more. The Celestion 4x10 with Vintage 10's is pretty underwhelming. Mids just disappear. Switching over to an OwnHammer Orange 2x12 with V30/Greenbacks brought the tone alive.

mkdaws32 and swervinbob like this.
  3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

My whole deal with modeling and profiling is the home studio thing. More of a sit down with everything ready to go solution. With the Helix, I’ve got just a few basic patches set up just to sound good through my computer setup. I’ve gotten away from playing through plugins, because I’ve just gone old school and record straight in (although I do record a di just in case). If I do use a tube amp with a load, it’s run through the Helix to pick up an IR. Some of the UAD amp models are great, but they all have a low mid thing thing that’s hard to eq out. I fight them more than the Helix for some reason.

I was just thinking of the Kemper with a few good profiles set up to record would be a good solution. Or at least, something to try. I don’t use the Helix as an interface, live, or any of the effects other than a TS type pedal to push a lead.

And, of coarse, I’m just a hobbiest at all this. But, since I have no other real priorities, I don’t mind spending a little money. If I had a family to feed, I’d have one guitar, and a basic setup. But since it’s just me, why not have some fun recording my unfinished demos.

northernguitar and mkdaws32 like this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a 5 pack.... three cab/speaker setups I have a lot of experience with in real life, and two experiments.
    The three I was familiar with deliver as I had expected. These are the "2 x 12 Open Back Blues", "2 x 12 Closed Back Greenback G12M" and "2 x 12 Closed Back Vintage 30's".

One of my experiments was a "1 x 12 Open Back Ruby". This has become my "go to" for live performance because of it's rich/thick tone. It reminds me of my days gigging with EV's and JBL's. Admittedly I do not like it as much in the studio and reach for other IR's in it's place. But in a live situation it brings out that "amp in the room" feel regardless of how I monitor the guitar.

The other experiment was a "2 x 12 Open Back A-Style" which is suppose to be voiced for Fender BF/SF Amps. I haven't found a place for this one yet... as you describe, the mids just disappear with this one.

I'm not suggesting any of this will work for you the way it works for me. These choices are all very subjective and based on personal preference. I'm just sharing my experience ;)

northernguitar likes this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Certainly! I’ve never tried the real Marshall 4x10. Maybe disappearing mids is part of the sound and I would be disappointed with the real deal. It might also be that my setup isn’t right for the IR. To be honest, I don’t think I need anymore.

I’m really happy with a few as well. My favourite is the OwnHammer Orange 2x12 with V30/Greenbacks. I also love their VOX AC30 Blue alnico 2x12 cab. Very rich sounding and I was surprised how much I love it with high gain.

codamedia likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I got all of the Greenback options and mixed and matched some other options. The 1x12 open Creamback surprised me - it might be my favorite. Interesting what you mention about using the Black Ruby IR live. Although I like the Celestions in the studio (I'm a hobbyist as well, but I did do some pro session guitar work in "real studios a number of years ago) I prefer a couple of Tone Junkies IRs I have for live, direct to console. In the studio they sound muddy, but on stage they just sound full and big. I might have to try the 1 x12 open Black Ruby.

codamedia and northernguitar like this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

A good buddy of mine is a pro guitar player who records A LOT, across a wide variety of genres. He has a Kemper, he has a Helix, he has all the DAWS, etc. He also has some great tube amp heads. He believes he still gets the very best tones by using his tube amps going into something like a Torpedo Captor into a DAW.

My view is if you have a great live analog sound that you love out of your current tube or analog rig combined with pedals then just go with that into your DAW. No need to spend big $$ on digital gear that is just doing its best to simulate what you already own.

8. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Holic

If it were me I'd buy a Boss GT1. No one cares about my guitar tone enough to warrant the expense of buying something like a Helix or a Kemper; and even if they did care I would be willing to bet that none of them have the ears to discern the subtleties between a clean Princeton Reverb or a clean Deluxe Reverb, or a overdriven Marshall JCM 800 and an overdriven Marshall JCM 900. Hell, apart from your immediate family (and I mean "immediate family") no one cares if you really live or die. Why spend all that money on one piece of kit? No one really cares.

swervinbob likes this.
  9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I care - cause I can feel the difference between the last generation of guitar tech and the newer generation. It's feel and touch responsiveness inspire my playing. You are right that know one else will notice or care, but I care for myself. Now, having said that, I've never played through a GT-1 and I may absolutely love the feel of it.

swervinbob likes this.
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

in that case, just play a Hello Kitty Strat through the cheapest Peavey practice amp you can find at a yard sale.

The thing is, I care about how my gear works and sounds. Whether anyone else thinks it’s great or that I paid too much is irrelevant.

swervinbob and northernguitar like this.
  11. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Holic

Something like this?

swervinbob likes this.
  12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

...and my right arm still hurts bad after the first shot of BIONTECH on monday...yeah and a Kemper is also on my list to relief the pain:)

swervinbob likes this.
  13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Not sure what your point is. Is this the rig Joe plays on a daily basis when he records and tours?

14. swervinbob

They messed up yesterday and had me do training right down the road from a GC that had the Kemper Stage. Playing around some this morning and I’m loving it. I found a stock Michael Britt Dirty Shirley rig that I could live on. I haven’t hooked it up to the internet yet. Just plugged straight into my Apollo and started scrolling. I think I just found my last studio tool for a while. Well, besides a vocal mic...

91236135-8F47-4663-A77F-7C72D3FE9043.jpeg

15. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

There’s no expression pedal? For the price point on those units, it just seems like that should be built in. Kinda surprised.

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Are expression pedals pretty sturdy...? I could see them deciding that keeping the expression pedal as an external accessory would be a space saver for those that don’t need them, and might reduce repair frequency as well.

17. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In the metal band I play with the drummer brought his Kemper for me to use because they want everything to go direct and use in-ears. Granted - he's profiling amps and sounds totally outside of my taste - but it wasn't really fun to play. It fits their style and sounds fine for that, but its not what I look for in an amp. I'd imagine though if you're profiling an actual good amp it probably works much better.

18. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Then they'd have to cut corners somewhere else. But there are jacks on the back for four of them.

19. brown2bob

brown2bob Tele-Meister

I'm happy with my Boss GT-1000. IR's did the trick to make it very usable. BTW... it has an expression pedal with a toe switch.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  20. swervinbob

The Helix Floor pedal is solid. I’ve heard of issues with the LT at first. I had a GT1000 for a while and the pedal seemed solid. The aftermarket Mission pedals are built really solid.

I know I got the Stage, but for me this is a home studio tool. The engine is the same in this and the toaster head, so it’s no big deal. And at home, if I want a wah, I’ll just put my crybaby in between my guitar and the Kemper. I’m just going to get a few good profiles and get to recording. So far, I really like the tones and I find it really easy to navigate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.