Thinking about a Kemper...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by swervinbob, Apr 11, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I remember reading that Mark Knopfler and his tech spent several months tweaking the Kemper to get the tones he wanted before they planned to tour with one.

It’s odd how it effects folks. I had chills, lethargy the day after my 1st dose but no effects after the 2nd dose.

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I HAD Kemper GAS really bad, so I started to sell off my gear to pay for it.
    When I was testing the gear to sell I realized that I only need a clean, a crunch, and an OD.
    Then I bought last years technology (Avid Eleven rack) for $200.
    I couldn't be happier, though in your case since you already have a Helix, if you want a new toy, and want to deal with the learning curve, go for it

swervinbob and northernguitar like this.
  3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Fatigue and $20 of Celestion IR’s has killed the GAS for today. I think more the fatigue than the IR’s, although they’ve totally changed my Plexi and 800 patches. But I don’t feel like driving two hours.

mkdaws32 and northernguitar like this.
  4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

What’d you get? I’m about to try the 410 with Vintage 10 speakers.

5. swervinbob

Greenbacks 412 closed back
    Creambacks 412 closed back
    Golds 410 closed back

I was thinking the golds would go with my Bassman patch, but I like the OH Bassman cab better.
    Greenbacks are working great with my Plexi patch.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. northernguitar

Nice. I was going to buy the Gold 410, but the clip just sounded so gritty through the Vintage 10. I have the OH Bassman pack, too. I’m hoping for a little more grit out of the Celestion 410.

swervinbob likes this.
  7. swervinbob

Let me know how it goes. I’m sure I’ll grab a few more before it’s all said and done. Like someone said on your thread about IR’s, I like the fact that there aren’t so many to choose from.

8. swervinbob

Ok. Now that the effects of the shot have worn off, I’m gonna just stick with the Helix. I’ve gotten pretty good at matching tones. Especially after I started using the sag, ripple, hum, bias, and bias x. I just get bored sometimes and think something else might be better. Sometimes you just have to stop.

9. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

The Helix is an amazing piece of gear. Even with the Quad Cortex in the market I'm not one to believe the grass is greener on the other side. It might be a different shade of green, that's about it.

swervinbob likes this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You really don't need a Kemper unless you have a huge vintage amp collection and you need to record those tones for your urgent gigs in Australia, Latin America, Japan, etc.

swervinbob likes this.
  11. burntfrijoles

I’ve never seriously considered a Kemper. I owned a Helix.
    Since the introduction of the POD in 98 or 99 people have raved about how realistic modeling sounds. There’s no doubt that modeling has come along way since the original POD. I still think it has a ways to go. I like Fender’s approach to just have the modeler do an amp with no effects other than reverb/tremolo.

I think my ideal modeling amp would be like the Iridium: Blackface, Marshall, Vox models and able to take pedals well. Put that in a nice 1x12 cabinet, power scaling to play at gig or bedroom levels; add a direct recording out. I don’t want any software interface to muck it all up.

swervinbob and northernguitar like this.
  12. northernguitar

I owned a Helix Stomp for a weekend. Nifty box, but I just couldn’t jive without having traditional controls. I spent more time messing around than actually playing. However, for them that make it work, it’s a nice piece of equipment.

SRHmusic and swervinbob like this.
  13. burntfrijoles

Exactly. I got tired of trying to tweak everything. Plus, after you add multiple effects in the signal chain, it comes out too metallic and brittle sounding to my ears.

14. northernguitar

Hmm...I need to spend some more time with the Celestion 4x10 with Vintage 10 speakers. I like the cabs with the Royer R-121 mic. It's brighter and punchier with my rig than the clips from the website.

15. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

I confess, I didn’t read all this thread carefully, but I’ve heard about those fevers, body aches, and chills when others mention amp modelers. Personally, if for no other reason than to infuriate purists, I say a Kemper is a great investment.

16. northernguitar

If I were starting over, I think it's the way I'd go. I also like the look and sounds from the Yamaha THR100H Dual.

17. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Agreed.

I recently picked up a REVV g20 with the torpedo cab/room/mic sim software built into a tube pre/amp. For me , I get everything I want out of this little lunchbox. It has changed the way I record and play guitar for the better. Never looking back to a traditional cab setup again. A Fractal might have been the more logical choice, but I’m not ready to give up on tube amps just yet.

18. northernguitar

Nice! I'd love to have all the tech onboard. I think the Revv is the only tube head with this. I do the same, but with a Two Notes Torpedo Captor 16 for a loadbox/DI and a Mooer Radar to house my favourite IRs. These get driven by either an Orange Rocker 15 Terror or a VOX Night Train 15h G2...plus the enormoboard. I've never been happier with my rig.

Bedder18 likes this.
  19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I did an A/B comparison of the Kemper Stage and the Helix Floor for a church backline guitar rig. If your are not going to use the "profiling" ability of the Kemper, they are pretty comparable. They both sound incredible and I cannot recommend one over the other based on the amp tones. The Helix was a bit better for live, on the fly control and ease of setting up rigs and snapshots within those rigs. The Helix just got an update with some great polyphonic pitch effects - I don't know if the Kemper has those or if they can be added. We went with the Helix and after over a year (honeymoon period long past), I still wouldn't trade it for the Kemper Stage.

EDIT: In fact, I purchased an HX Effects shortly afterwards for myself to integrate with my real amps.

codamedia and swervinbob like this.
  20. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have some OwnHammer IRs, a couple Tone Junkie IRs, a huge amount of Redwirz IRs and a number of Celestion IRs. They are all well captured, but the Celestions ones seem to sound best to me - or at least for the tone I'm chasing. When I want something a little different than what the Celestions offer, I reach for the Redwirz IRs (JBLs, Jensens, Sheffields, etc.) My others rarely get used.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.