1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about a Kemper...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by swervinbob, Apr 11, 2021.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

...but it may just be the after effects of my second vaccination shot. Two days of fever, body aches, and YouTube videos. I only play the digital stuff in my home studio, and with the right IR’s I can match just about anything close enough with my Helix. Watched a lot of Quad Cortex videos also.

Hopefully the effects of the shot will wear off before I break out my card...

ucnick, Dr Improbable, Alex_C and 2 others like this.
  2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Do you gig, too? Apparently a lot of touring bands use these, and have for at least a few years. Easier than real amps and isolation cabs, etc. Do you have a way to try one before buying?

Dr Improbable and swervinbob like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I'm just here because I love watching others buy nice stuff;). No pressure...make my day!

4. swervinbob

I don’t gig. I mostly play in my home studio. And the closest one to try would be two hours away. I don’t mind the drive, but I also want to get over the after effects of the shot.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I just was sick as a dog yesterday a day after getting my one dose vaccine.

Feeling a bit better today. So I can in clear conscience say I see the benefits of a Kemper or similar.

6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I spent day two of shot2 in my sweat suit, wrapped in a blanket...slept a good part of it. Day three it was as if nothing had happened. Yours is hitting you harder, for sure. Drink plenty of fluids.

Greggorios and swervinbob like this.
  7. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear about your aches. My wife is laying in bed with the same thing as a result of our 2nd shots yesterday. I only have a stiff neck but I think that was from sleeping poorly. Definitely stay hydrated and even over-hydrate. Diluted juice, 50/50, will really help.

LOL, watching YT will give you GAS, I know it has done it to me in last couple of days. I'm burning for a Marshall combo, looking at Origin or DLS40, and lots of juicy vids out there that cover both pretty well, in my opinion.

Good luck in your Kemper search!

swervinbob likes this.
  8. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Been very close to selling the farm and buying one as well.

I say go for it! :)

swervinbob likes this.
  9. swervinbob

This is day 3 for me. The fever and body aches are gone, just a little bit of a headache. I had the unmentionable a couple of months ago and both of my vaccine shots caused worse symptoms than when I was sick. But I still have some lingering effects from the virus. Limited taste and smell, along with a dry cough that is starting to finally go away.
    So, maybe I will take a drive and try out the Kemper Stage.

10. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’ve a number of times considered an Axe FX as the older versions are getting pretty reasonably priced used. But I’ve held off both a Kemper and Axe FX because I really hate scrolling menus.

What I was using live when I last played live was a tube preamp (Effectrode Blackbird) into a Torpedo CAB, set and forget on a Vintage 30 setting. Gear budget is tight these days, but I’d probably go the simple preamp and cab sim route again.

If I don’t get a fever-induced Sweetwater card and finance a Kemper against my best judgment, that is.

swervinbob likes this.
  11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you're feeling kind of ill from your shot,

You need to counteract that with...
    the disKemper shot.

Thank you very much.

Dacious, pixeljammer, GeneB and 6 others like this.
  12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

You're a good man, you work hard and life is short. Can't take the dough with you...I say go for it.

That Cal Webway and swervinbob like this.
  13. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

I was skeptical of the digital stuff. Last year, I picked up a fractal fm3 and it really has blown my mind. I can’t get my tube or solid state amps to sound that good. I’m sure the kemper is just as good, if not better. I say go for it!

14. swervinbob

Yeah. Feeling a lot better today. Sitting here playing my Helix LT. If I get the Kemper, it may have to go to pay for it. I don’t use the effects that much, so all I’m worried about is raw amp sounds.

northernguitar likes this.
  15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I don't remember buying expensive musical equipment being listed as a side effect of the vaccine.
    But something to look forward to!

tfarny, JRtele, johnny7 and 2 others like this.
  16. swervinbob

well, I’m single, no kids, and make over $100,000 a year. I’m not the greatest guitar player and have to justify it somehow.

mfguitar and northernguitar like this.
  17. TelePlayer6753

TelePlayer6753 NEW MEMBER!

About 5 years ago, I got the same bug I couldn’t afford to have both, so I sold my only amp, my touring pedal board and I jumped both feet into a Kemper. I loved it, had every great profile from Tone Junkie to M.Britt. It was on countless stages and was all I used in the studio. I went through and made performances for every song in our set plus a few standard ones that I would use for covers. It was wonderful and easy. I had it in a case with the controller and all my cords and cables. Fast forward to a year ago, the bug hit again and I traded that whole rig for a head and back to a pedal board. I didn’t use pedals I was all Kemper. There is a small difference to tubes over the Kemper but it’s so small. The Kemper is amazing, fun if your a knob turner, and life changing but I’m happy at the moment to be back to an amp and pedals.

northernguitar and swervinbob like this.
  18. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Modelers are great. I had a Helix LT and it was such a great sounding and easy to use piece of gear. I went back to a tube amp and pedals but sometimes miss the Helix. The Quad Cortex seems to be the hot new item out there. It seems to capture amps better than the Kemper (Kemper has been around a while) and it's much easier to use. It is new and will only improve with updates. It also costs less ~$1500USD. It is on my radar.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    That Cal Webway and swervinbob like this.
  19. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

That is as good a justification as any!

swervinbob likes this.
  20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Almost none of what makes a Kemper what it is comes from the hardware, which makes age kind of irrelevant. One of the great things about my lifetime has been the shift of where the magic happens from hardware to software. Where you used to buy something hardwired to do one thing forever, now you buy things that can benefit from engineering improvements long after you've brought it home. Kemper has established a good track record of that with the Profiler; Neural and others will likely do the same.

swervinbob and mexicanyella like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.