Thinking about a complement of amps.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have 3 and use my Avid Eleven Rack most of the time. The one amp I can't get out of my head is a Vintage Sound 15. I really, really want one.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
20210606_132457.jpg
20210615_011232.jpg
I am too late in life to go jumping up and down on stage, maybe just plat in someone's basement. So no need for a 100 watt Marshall. Mind you a 6V6 20W one might be in the cards, a 2203/4 might be interesting in a 12" combo. Not quite there as compared to a sealed back 4x12 but if need be a cab of the sort can be arranged. An open back 4x10, there is a maybe there also. Switch out the first stage of the Marshall lookalike and be in a Bassman territory.

But then home just for fun amps, maybe a Princeton reverb or a BF/Tweed Champ could scratch that itch. Just because, maybe make a pre-war Gibson or the like with Paraphase inverter Class A amp with field coil speaker. I have a few 6F6G's, just to get that vintage vibe. A snotty line powered practice amp (with isolating power transformer) might be going down a road too far. Or is it? Running at 180V with lower voltage tubes and a SE output transformer to get a raw type of sound. Maybe a 6AU6 and 50L6?

What else? Not sure.
Those are all great choices. To scratch the Marshall itch, how's about 20 watt Marshall Sliver Jubilee combo reissue.

ndtced

TDPRI Member
There is no better home amp than a Peavey Bravo.
Fender tone - Check
Marshall tone- Check
Extreme gain - Check
Takes pedals well - Check
Doesn't break the bank - Check
Loud enough to play with a drummer - Check

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
There is no better home amp than a Peavey Bravo.
Fender tone - Check
Marshall tone- Check
Extreme gain - Check
Takes pedals well - Check
Doesn't break the bank - Check
Loud enough to play with a drummer - Check

Not too impressed with the people playing the amp online. Only one I heard bothered with the cleaner sound to any extent. Even that I was not blown over. Other than the high gain that I am not interested in I do not see it as being much more than their Classic 20. Which was not a bad amp on its own.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Here's my two mellowing-old-man amps. Picked them up just in the last year and a half. Supro 1606 Super reissue and a '90s Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket. Probably could have spent the money on something more important or saved it for retirement but I am so happy with them.

WSqWyLl.jpg

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Here's my two mellowing-old-man amps. Picked them up just in the last year and a half. Supro 1606 Super reissue and a '90s Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket. Probably could have spent the money on something more important or saved it for retirement but I am so happy with them.

I can see how the two can cover a lot of ground.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Unless I missed something (think I got it right) a Plexi circuit that changes into a 2203/4 Marshall. Shoot, flipped channels. Have to fix that

Think I got it. Another set of eyes would be appreciated.

09RiHW5.png

Last edited:

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
OK, this will be a little complicated to build. Two channel amp, one side Marshall 2204, the other channel 5E3 or Blackface. Going into a Long Tailed Pair inverter with fixed bias or a Paraphase inverter with cathode bias. The Paraphase with the 5E3 (actually 5B3 I guess) to give it the Tweed lose sound. Using dual 1M pots for the 5E3 and Blackface modes, the capacitors and resistors adjusted for the pots.

uCNekh9.png

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I am too late in life to go jumping up and down on stage, maybe just plat in someone's basement. So no need for a 100 watt Marshall. Mind you a 6V6 20W one might be in the cards, a 2203/4 might be interesting in a 12" combo. Not quite there as compared to a sealed back 4x12 but if need be a cab of the sort can be arranged. An open back 4x10, there is a maybe there also. Switch out the first stage of the Marshall lookalike and be in a Bassman territory.

But then home just for fun amps, maybe a Princeton reverb or a BF/Tweed Champ could scratch that itch. Just because, maybe make a pre-war Gibson or the like with Paraphase inverter Class A amp with field coil speaker. I have a few 6F6G's, just to get that vintage vibe. A snotty line powered practice amp (with isolating power transformer) might be going down a road too far. Or is it? Running at 180V with lower voltage tubes and a SE output transformer to get a raw type of sound. Maybe a 6AU6 and 50L6?

What else? Not sure.
Compliments to you for correct use of the word "complement."