1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking about a change for ASAT Classic Alnico

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ezpickins, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ezpickins

ezpickins TDPRI Member

So I have an ASAT Classic With the G&L Alnico pickups and I’m debating a change. I want something warmer and want to get a decent warm jazzy tone from the neck.

The G&L MFD pickups are a good deal at $60 each - I’m wondering what folks think about those pickups

The other pricier option I was looking into was the Lollar Charlie Christian neck paired with the Lollar BS Bridge - this option is many times more expensive of course - I’m worried this combo might be too limited? Not versatile for general rocking ...

Any specific info on the G&L MFD and Lollar options is very appreciated - and of course other suggestions

and just for some context I’m just an amateur playing in the basement - I started taking some jazz lessons and just wasn’t happy with the tone from the current pickups

I debated just getting a different guitar - but I love the ASAT otherwise

2. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

This might help:

ezpickins likes this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

You might really like the asat blues boy. It has a SD seth lover in the neck position. Better for jazz I would think. I had an asat special, and never thought of it as a jazz guitar. However, if you can play it, it might work out. They are fuller sounding pickups.

ezpickins and Liamkeane01 like this.
  4. Liamkeane01

Liamkeane01 TDPRI Member

Im not really sure how the pickup routing in a G&L is compared to a fender, but for that set of lollars youre gonna need to have a route big enough to fit in the neck, but if youre looking for more of a jazzy tone I would look at some seymore duncan stuff

ezpickins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.