Thinking about a American 60's Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Revelation, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

I currently have a Professional Telecaster and love it. I have played thr 60's with the beautiful binding once but i never A/B them. Can anyone explain the difference in sound between the two?

Greggorios likes this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think we can explain most everything else, but the tone is so subjective... I think you'll be better served by playing the AO again. You'll have to anyway - it doesn't matter what we think....

Clifton C, OldDude2, NewKid and 3 others like this.
  3. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

But no one has one in stock in my area which is why I asked

4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

The binding always gets'em. Keep in mind that the 60's AV's have 7.25 radius and small vintage frets - both my personal preferences. Never played an AO so I can't say how far apart they are in tone.

5. navier

navier TDPRI Member

I am confused... are you talking about the AVRI or the new AO?

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Fair question. I assumed AO, since the OP says 'binding' and "60s". I guess it could be a AVRI 62. But he also mentions no one 'has stock' in his area, and the AVRI is long out of production.

7. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

navier and NewKid like this.
  8. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For one thing the AO '60's has much better pickups than the Am Pro imho. I had an Am Pro and didn't like those Shaw pups. If it was me I'd get that AO 60's and sell the other one. Plus it has a rosewood fretboard.

9. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

Get the one that’s 3 ounces lighter at 7 lbs. 10 ounces. I’ve played several of these and they are sweet guitars. It’s on my wishlist as well.

Also, make sure to call first and ask your Sweetwater Sales Engineer for a quote so you can get a nice discount.

10. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

The AO has a fuller sound. I spent a lot of time investigating the Professional before purchasing it including talks with managers and guitar stores in Nashville and other places for their true opinion on the Professional vs X and how its been looked at by many professionals which was all positive. Their updated saddle, radius neck, the volume circuit I love and the thinner body is more comfortable play.

The tone... is subjective but i found myself happy with both guitars tone. But i respect your opinion and understand why you dont like the pickups on thr Professional.. I personally found the stock 09 strings didn't give the best tone and the 10's helped the tone in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    hdvades likes this.
  11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I have the predecessor, the AVRI62.. Its my dream, and holy grail.. the binding, tri-sunburst, everything about it.. I've always loved a 62.. actually all 60's teles with rosewood board and custom car colors.. those are just beautiful guitars to me..

I too had a pro.. but quickly traded it for this one when I had the chance, even if the AVRI has a bit of wear and quite old, and my am pro is barely a year old.. It was a really nice tele but its not one I felt I had to hang onto.. if I just have one tele, the AVRI would be it..

I played an AO 60's, and it certainly carries how great the AVRI line were, but since the specs has been changed 7.25 to 9.5m vintage frets to narrow tall, to me its a slightly modern guitar than a vintage one.. If I have the cash and can get only one, Id get the AO 60's.. if I can get both, it would be great, but it's a bit overlapping in specs, both have 9.5, narrow tall frets, so there's little variety if you decide to keep both.

here's my am pro I used to own versus my AVRI62

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  12. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

Wow beautiful guitars. Yeah there are certain aspects to the 60's model that are great. I cant argue that the AO might be a better option than the Professional. I was drawn to the updated mods on the Professional. Overlapping is an issue buy I believe there is enough of a difference to buy both.

13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

You wont regret getting both as far as I know.. If I had the means to justify keeping my am pro and buying the AVRI62 instead I would, but I have a strict rule of 1 in, 1 out and I dont like having too many things now as I dont get to use it that much like I used to.. so if I keep one or two teles, they should be the best I can afford or buy or justify.. then get something different or one of each, semi (335ish), hollow (gretsch/es330ish), etc etc..

14. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.