1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Think You're Anonymous?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 25, 2020.

1. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

And to rub salt in the wounds, once a month Google/Android send me an e-mail to remind me where I've been!!

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When you are on the computer, they can see all the way back in your back bedroom where you have those stacks of toilet paper hidden. The other day, I looked up my Titleist driver on you tube to see a couple of reviews about it to see what other people thought about it. I really like it, and have had some pretty good success with it. Later that day, I went on Facebook ( I know, I know) to see what some of my relatives were posting about Christmas and such. First thing on the first page I went to was a big old add for Titleist drivers!

nojazzhere, Jakedog and Torren61 like this.
  3. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Some points:

1. "They" are almost entirely interested in your value as a revenue stream, not as an individual to be watched and controlled.
    2. The sheer amount of data out there needs to be factored in - how many people would it take for "Them" to actually constantly watch "us?"
    3. It's not entirely clear whether you own your DNA in the first place, as once it becomes separate and distinct from your body it isn't exactly "you" anymore, is it? Would you be outraged and assert that you own your amputated limb and accuse the hospital of making you into a chattel because they kept it, or disposed of it?
    4. Couldn't an individual game the system by intentionally doing so much random stuff that the data would be rendered useless? That would be time consuming, but fun. Perhaps a personal AI that did this for you and constantly flooded the system with false location, preference, and purchasing data is an answer.
    5. The Public/Private entity distinction gets very conflated in terms of people's individual rights...

elihu, Asmith, alathIN and 3 others like this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Facebook is the WORST... but you already knew that.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Torren61 likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have none of the things you listed so I'm totally untraceable.

You can call me bitcoin.

Dereksys38 and Torren61 like this.
  7. telemnemonics

I created a fake FB account, figured that would prove once and for all if I'm hidden or not.
    Gave myself an embarrassingly ridiculous name too.

They didn't catch me!
    I'm truly invisible!

Torren61 likes this.
  8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I have long called them PTD's . Personal Tracking Devices .
    If that is being done in my situation , they ( whomever they are ) have been long convinced that I must be chained to the stove since I rarely carry the darned thing .

gimmeatele, Torren61 and Jakedog like this.
  9. telemnemonics

I gotta say, after my wallet was lost or stolen in the late '90s, I was a NYC outlaw biker and got arrested fairly often, thought more often they couldn't catch me. (hard to catch an outlaw on a bicycle in the projects!)
    Anyhow, they claimed they had to keep me locked up for days because I had no ID.

WTH, I was one of the test subjects when they went from ink fingerprinting to the machine that loaded right into the database!
    How can they not know exactly who I am and all the ways I'm a menace to society???

Cleaned up and changed my ways of course, so now I'm a model citizen and friendly with cops everywhere.

But c'mon, you need to see my ID????

Torren61 and Jakedog like this.
  10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You know those auto flush devices found in so many public places ? The sensor that you think you notice is actually a video camera and you are being broadcasted in Japan .
    Verifiable truth , I swear .

SuprHtr, Torren61 and telemnemonics like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Even in ye olden days there was this phone book thing you could look up anyone, while standing at any random street corner, give them a call or stop by their little shack.

nojazzhere, Torren61 and stormsedge like this.
  12. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Not just that. Served in the armed forces? Government employment? Permitted/licensed professional (doctor, lawyer, etc.)? Concealed carry? And so on. Your fingerprints and all vital info are in multiple LE and other databases. Hell, a couple of decades ago, for a lark, I got my FBI file (I had studied Russian, applied for visa to visit Russia, multiple US government job applications, government employment, and so on). I was surprised at the detail as well as what they completely missed. And that didn’t include IRS info, corporate info (not just FAANG but credit bureaus and insurance companies), and TLA databases.

Privacy? How quaint.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    stormsedge and Torren61 like this.
  13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

um...that's raw meat to @TheGoodTexan. And you know how much he enjoys a good steak. He will find you.

14. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Freakin A! Torren

I’ve said this for a long time “they know”

In the early 90’s it was said that your name goes through a computer something like 20 times a day without you even knowing it, I bet it’s considerably more now days

Unless you were born at home and never had a social security number “they know!”

Torren61 likes this.
  15. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Pffft! After many years of military and government service, I’m pretty sure they know everything that it’s possible to know about me. I’m sure they have all the data that they could ever want in my case. And I’m not losing any sleep about it.

Unless they’re deeply interested in watching an old guy take care of his animals, play his guitar, and read a lot of books, they’re apt to find me pretty boring.

16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

For $9.95 there are several online companies that will sell you anyone's address , family & neighbor names , arrest record , credit score , property value , etc. etc.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

I don't give any more info than necessary and use "shell" accounts, emails, and phone numbers whenever possible.

I've stopped worrying about the info that is already out there. The only one that still bugs me is Blockshopper because it lists my name, address, and how much I paid for my house.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All I knows is that if you post the wrong opinions in the Interweb ... black helicopters overhead in 5, 4, 3, 2...

imwjl, Torren61 and tery like this.
  19. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

20. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

These are 1998 anxieties.

These days, if you have a smart phone and a cell phone, if you're on Facebook and shop on Amazon or have a Google account, you have no secrets whatsoever.

Torren61, SRHmusic and Dereksys38 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.