1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

think pros still struggle?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by myersth, Apr 28, 2015.

1. myersth

myersth TDPRI Member

we all see brad paisley Luke Bryan or who ever bust out amazing stuff. i wounder if they still struggle. if they sit there and have to play for hours and get mad and wanna throw there guitars and be like F* this or if even the hardest stuff they just laugh at bust it out in a few mins.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Nobody is perfect at everything... I think the pro guys still struggle with stuff, but I have found that the more I play the easier it is to move past the rough patches.

3. myersth

myersth TDPRI Member

ya i know what you mean

4. pcolbeck

pcolbeck TDPRI Member

Yes I think they probably do. Noel Gallagher said Johnny Marr even got really frustrated trying to replicate some of his own old playing from years ago, just couldn't work out he had done it.
    Also Keef in his autobiography mentions several things he was trying to get right for years (sometimes decades) until finally he met whoever played the original riff or whatever and they showed him how. Someone )I cant remember who but it might have been James Burton) had a long running joke with Keef over one riff. Every time they met over the years he would say "have you worked it out yet Keef" and wouldn't tell him how it went.

5. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Speaking of Keef, I saw a video of him and Chuck Berry. They were trying to do one of CB's song and they had to stop multiple times ause Keef couldn't get the rythym right. Guess everyone has flaws.

6. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

no matter how famous they are now, at some point they have to 'start' learning something.

the other guitar player in my band can play circles around me but i watch him get super frustrated trying to learn something by jerry reed. nobody starts out 'good' at something.

The Chuck Berry/Keef encounter is one part CB insisting he get it right and one part just being a *****. IMO

7. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm sure they still struggle, just like anyone else. When I raced bikes, I liked this quote about it getting easier-

Greg LeMond: "It never gets easier, you just go faster"

8. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was Scotty Moore - some descending riff that sounded simple but was tricky to get right. Maybe it was a turnaround.

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Everyone hits the wall somewhere. Then it's back to hard work. For me, it's not that far away.

10. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

They're only human, so they have to have days where they hate everything they hear coming from their fingers. I imagine a player like Paisley keeps pushing himself. Just saw a clip of him at the Opry playing like I've never heard him play before. That only comes from some real wood-shedding.

11. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Well, I think that is everyone. there are many pros on this forum even if they don't do it for a living they could if they wanted to . I've played for 27 years and struggle with things at time .. Jazz is very difficult to learn compared to other styles of music and any kind of Jerry Reed stuff .. that man was a monster player ! It's good to struggle though it helps you to grow in all aspects of life .

12. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There is always something else to learn. Some players can do one style really well, even less can do lots of styles really well. I've never encountered a single musician, pro or otherwise, who can do everything. There is just far too much to learn and some of it is almost contradictory in the techniques/approach/taste it requires to pull off.

13. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

keep building your musical repertorire learn skills techniques theory listen practice and play with others on a regular basis, the rest will take care of itself.

music is devine creation

14. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd bet that half of the big name concerts that I've been to have had some kind of incident that was unexpected. Most of the time if was minor, and everyone just carried on. The craziest was an Yngwie Malmsteen concert where the guitar tech was either hired in the parking lot that night, or was reeeeeally having a bad night. Of course Malmsteen isn't exactly the most stable person on earth to begin with, so there you go.

Then again, that fifty percent mark is probably skewed to the high side because of all the Ozzy / Sabbath concerts I've seen. I see Ozzy every chance I get, and have enjoyed every show, but they guy really has to work at remembering his own lyrics... Doesn't matter, he's still a hell of an entertainer.

15. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I forget who said it, but there's a saying that you don't practice something until you get it right, you practice it until you can't screw it up.

16. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Most everybody is their own worst critic. It's a mental skill to not let that suck the enjoyment out of playing music.

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Well, there is screwing up and there is playing unmusically. I don't hear many screwups in any genre or venue. But I do hear people playing unmusically or uninspired all the time. I always get a kick out of hearing a classical pianist talking about a given performance, saying "I played like a pig."

18. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Even the best screw up.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

20. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

I'm guessing the pros "do what they do best", and don't bother with struggling through stuff that isn't their "best". And if you think about it, I bet they struggle with different styles...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.