Think I'm done shipping gear

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Sep 16, 2019.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

Well I sure enjoy receiving these shipments of new guitars and amps. All have been very well packed.

But I’m with the OP and also done shipping gear. In fact, I hate selling because of all the regret it has caused me in the past.

I’m trying to be careful with my acquisitions because everything stays from now on.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I only occasionally use eBay anymore for small dollar stuff. For a few years, I had an eBay business flipping designer denim, but it tanked a few years ago when eBay changed their seller policies and a TON of sellers left (meaning a ton of BUYERS left too). Their policies have also encouraged a culture of fraud on there that is becoming more widespread.

I just sold a watch on there for a very reasonable price and the buyer (all positive feedback) did not pay when the auction closed. I sent him an invoice with a friendly note. No response. Sent another a week or so later. And another almost 2 weeks later. No response, nothing. If he wanted out of the sale I would have canceled his bid. Nothing. I opened an unpaid item case and got paid within hours. It's been shipped. Waiting to see if he's going to try to return it.

I've heard horror stories about people getting screwed out of guitars and amps (and money too) on eBay and limit my exposure accordingly.

This year I started using Reverb and mostly like it, but I have a few complaints. First, they don't estimate shipping well and I, too, frequently eat costs on shipping as a result. eBay estimates costs far more accurately, lets you choose specific shipping/packing methods (boxes vs. packages, calculated vs. flat rate, dimensions, etc.) AND eBay discounts shipping costs to sellers, particularly if they've been selling for a long time. Reverb does not do this and gives a more generalized shipping estimate, usually wrong in the buyer's favor...and to the seller's detriment. Reverb has better policies, though.

I've purchased tons of stuff from both sites. Been using eBay for 16 or 17 years...only 3 incidents over that time. Not bad. So far, so good with Reverb...other issues notwithstanding.

3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Until now, I've been rather lucky in shipments.
    I also don't blame the carriers delivering the parcels to the client - I know some who worked for big companies and they're close to exhaustion after their daily tours.
    This is the main reason for me never to order something from Amazon: they treat their employees like s..t.

Milspec likes this.
  4. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I used to ship gear but it's just not worth it now. Firstly, if I'm shipping that means I probably sold it on eBay which means I have to pay a massive fee on what I've sold (sold a guitar recently for €650, by the time Paypal and Ebay took their fees I cleared just over €400).
    Then I have to take a day off work to give the guitar to the courier, last time I did that the first two courier companies didn't turn up so I had to use a third, meaning three days off work to ship one guitar. Thanks ParcelMonkey, by far the worst company I've ever dealt with. Then of course the buyer was mad because of the delay in sending the guitar to him.
    Then, same as was said above I always underestimate shipping, plus music shops here no longer give out guitar shipping boxes so I have to hang on to ones I get when I buy a new guitar.

Even though it means meeting crazy people, I'm sticking to in person sales only.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.