Think i need a refret... advice needed

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by brogh, Aug 23, 2020.

Should i refret this with SS 6105 ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hey Telenuts :)

Well today I was fixing my nut to accommodate 12's better after playing a while with them, I was widening the nut slots just a tiny bit as a couple of strings were not going trough smoothly, I started looking at the frets to see if it was the case to give a polish to them ... the horror ! :lol:

The tops of the frets have no big divots but ALL of them have flat tops from A to high E strings, in some places there are some wide lower spots but no dents.

Took some measurements with my caliper and found out that the height at top of fret is between 0.033,5 (0.85 mm) and 0.024.5 (0.62 mm) those are supposed to be vintage fret wire 6230 (which should in origin tall 0.037 (0.94 mm).

The guitar is perfect but I struggle a lot with these frets, what I was wondering is :

Should I first try to re crown ? ( and save some cash ) the thing is that I'm worried that it will take too much material off and I might be struggling even more and in the end move to a re fret anyway, in some places I basically wore 1/3rd of the fretsize off...

Wanted to put 6105 on for quite some time now, but when I got the guitar the frets where almost "new" so I thought I'd go on for a while before doing that.

What do you say ?

Here are some pics of some of the frets

Thanks

1.jpg 2.jpg

2. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I had to bite the bullet a few years ago. If is interfering with your play, I would do it.

brogh likes this.
  3. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

I would refret also if you are having trouble playing it. I recently put some ss Jescar 57 x 110 wire on my favorite Strat. I was worried that using ss for the first time would be difficult but it really wasn't that much more work than standard fretwire. I must say that I love the polished look and silky smooth bends that I get with the ss wire and I will most likely use it on all of my guitars in the future.

Jakedog, Cali Dude and brogh like this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Id try level and recrowning first. If that doesn't cure it then dig deep.

Are all your frets worn or could a partial re-fret do it ?

5. brogh

Admin Post
    Thanks Guys !!

so Refret it is :)

basically from fret 3 down to the bridge, its more prominent on the higher stirngs which i use obviously more, 6105 in SS should set me good for quite some time :) Hope my luthier doesn't go too hard on me

Thanks again

stratoman1 likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I think your tech will recommend a level and crown. It doesn't look ready for a refret from those pictures. If you want new SS frets, that's another story. :D

7. brogh

Admin Post
    My techs told me that the last i was there 1 years ago and it wasn't that bad, in the meantime i wore them quite more .. and yes .. i WANT to change them at this point, i do struggle a bit with 6230, the will wear out more it's inevitable :D so .. why not go the "easy" way .. at least on this :)

Thanks Beagle ;)

beagle likes this.
  8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Then grit your teeth and get out your wallet my boy, this won't hurt a bit... :lol:

9. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

If it was me, I'd be crowning them and then polishing.

A normal crowning file will clean that up. Polish with wet&dry and some metal polish.

moosie, Dismalhead, MilwMark and 3 others like this.
  10. brogh

Admin Post
    i hate you !:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not as much as you think :p my luthier is magic :) gladly doesn't need to be sanded and repainted he does it without dong that.

Ddon't know over there but here a Plek + SS 6105 + strip and refinish is around 400 bucks, just refretting level & polish should be around 200 euros the last time i asked for it.

Yeah probably it will, but as said i'd always struggled a bit on all my 6230 teles, so ..i think I'll take the bite :)... as soon as i have that doug available :) whihc is not right now :)

Thank you guys !

beagle likes this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Last time I asked my friend it was about 300 euros. I refret my own, so it costs the price of the fret wire.

12. brogh

Admin Post
    i'd like to do that but i do not have the tools ... so .. :p

beagle likes this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm just cheap. :lol::lol:

14. brogh

Admin Post
    :lol:

lol seriusly :I i'd like to do that, but between really no time, the only tool i have is a miniset of... well lets call em that ... "nut files"... and the normal guitar manteniance stuff, i really have no tools to do that.... i'm also somewhat clumsy with that stuff .. but what scares me more is the possibility to "break" or damage something .. so .. it's kinda an insurance :)

;)

beagle likes this.
  15. brogh

Admin Post
    ok .. my Luthier asked me ... does dunlop make 6105 in SS .. and it seems not do so .. what alternatives are around ?

16. lepaulo

lepaulo TDPRI Member

My Tele looked close to that brand new. I gave the frets a very light (but thorough) fret level and crowned them carefully. Even with my basic skills and using a technically challenging triangular crowning file, I managed to put a half-decent crown on them all following Ron Kirns' guide pinned on the main page.

Save your money and get some masking tape, a decent crowning file and levelling beam. If you go slowly and check often, it's hard to really mess it up further than what it looks like now. Set aside a few hours and take your time.

If you're in UK/EU - Crimson Guitars makes their own tools for sale at a very reasonable price and has low shipping costs. Plus you will learn some new skills that can be put to use on other guitars.

The improvements amazed me when I did mine (not including the pride in doing it myself). Big improvements on slides, buzz and intonation. Those flat tops move the contact point away from the bridge so it's near impossible to get consistent intonation. They also cause lots of sizzle/buzz which vanished after the crowning step.

I think the consensus is that Fender does not crown frets on production guitars, even the high-end AM ones like mine and you've probably worn them down a bit more over time. Looking at the ends of the frets, they do look similar to what I started with

brogh likes this.
  17. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

Jescar 55090.

http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

You're welcome.

brogh and Jakedog like this.
  18. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That wire is too small for that. He is already having issues with it being too low

brogh likes this.
  19. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would not worry about SS.

MilwMark and brogh like this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

But it will last “forever”!

I think those frets are just getting broken in

Gaz_ and brogh like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.