Think I killed my Chorus Pedal...

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by joel_ostrom, May 24, 2013.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

I was trying to mod my Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble with the Clickless Tru-Bypass. I read the instructions wrong and removed the wrong resistor. However, the resistor i was SUPPOSED to remove was identical to the one that I did remove, so I figured "i'll just remove the correct resistor and solder it back into the spot where the other one went (I lost the original one).

I don't know if anybody has worked on a Boss CE-5 circuit board, but the resistors are extremely small. Like 1mm thick.

In my attempt to re-solder the resistor back into the circuit I succeeded in desoldering a capacitor from its spot. Tried to reattach it, ended up tearing part of the trace and am now left with 2 empty spots on the PCB with 3 torn off trace pads.

I think this patient has flat-lined.
    Unless anybody has any miraculous ideas.

:(

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Buss wire bridges off the traces, and a lot less heat.

3. joel_ostrom

I tried that. The components are just too small. Its impossible to attach any kind of leads to the ends of the resistor/cap.

I have the two missing components and I know where they're supposed to go, I just don't know how to attach them. They're so impossibly small.

You think I could just go and buy two replacement parts with leads already attached?

4. joel_ostrom

IT'S ALIVE!!!

I went out and bought some new components today. The closest I could find to 56K was a 68K for the resistor (I also bought some 47K resistors) and the closest cap to 470p was 330p. I meticulously soldered them into place and the pedal lives again.

But for some reason it would turn on, but then I couldn't turn the effect off. Then I realized that I had removed a resistor from the board (R39) when I tried to install the Clickless Bypass system. I soldered in a 47K resistor but then when I tested the pedal I got hardly any signal or sound through the amp.

Any ideas?

CE-5 Schematic

5. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

Measure twice cut once.

Go over the scheme and triple check your values and positions.

For the tone circuit near enough can be good enough, but not always.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.