Think I killed my Chorus Pedal...

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by joel_ostrom, May 24, 2013.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

I was trying to mod my Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble with the Clickless Tru-Bypass. I read the instructions wrong and removed the wrong resistor. However, the resistor i was SUPPOSED to remove was identical to the one that I did remove, so I figured "i'll just remove the correct resistor and solder it back into the spot where the other one went (I lost the original one).

I don't know if anybody has worked on a Boss CE-5 circuit board, but the resistors are extremely small. Like 1mm thick.

In my attempt to re-solder the resistor back into the circuit I succeeded in desoldering a capacitor from its spot. Tried to reattach it, ended up tearing part of the trace and am now left with 2 empty spots on the PCB with 3 torn off trace pads.

I think this patient has flat-lined.
    Unless anybody has any miraculous ideas.

:(

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Buss wire bridges off the traces, and a lot less heat.

3. joel_ostrom

I tried that. The components are just too small. Its impossible to attach any kind of leads to the ends of the resistor/cap.

I have the two missing components and I know where they're supposed to go, I just don't know how to attach them. They're so impossibly small.

You think I could just go and buy two replacement parts with leads already attached?

4. joel_ostrom

IT'S ALIVE!!!

I went out and bought some new components today. The closest I could find to 56K was a 68K for the resistor (I also bought some 47K resistors) and the closest cap to 470p was 330p. I meticulously soldered them into place and the pedal lives again.

But for some reason it would turn on, but then I couldn't turn the effect off. Then I realized that I had removed a resistor from the board (R39) when I tried to install the Clickless Bypass system. I soldered in a 47K resistor but then when I tested the pedal I got hardly any signal or sound through the amp.

Any ideas?

CE-5 Schematic

5. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

Measure twice cut once.

Go over the scheme and triple check your values and positions.

For the tone circuit near enough can be good enough, but not always.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.