Think I got recognized from Facebook... But I'm not on it!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Patton, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

And I never was on it! Sort of.

I worked a half day yesterday and after closing up the shop at noon I went to the local Applebee's for a beer and lunch. The wife didn't work so she came up to meet me. I sat on one side of the horseshoe shaped bar and on the other side I did notice a couple who were roughly my age sort of looking at me a few times. Eh, maybe just thought I looked like someone they know, I assumed.

My wife showed up maybe 15 minutes after I got there and a couple minutes later the woman came up to us. It's my wife's ex boyfriends sister, who she's still friends with on facebook. After the girls happily greeted each other she tells my wife that they recognized me but couldn't figure out from where. It was when my wife came in they put two and two together.

Now here's the interesting part; I've never met them, my wife hasn't seen the woman in person for maybe 6 + years or so, my wife has never met the husband, and I've never registered or had an account on facebook.

I got recognized strictly from my wife's occasional postings of pics is all I can figure out. Wild, huh?

2. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Can’t escape it. Social media is the devil.

3. Patton

I know. And I foolishly thought that I could stay "hidden" from it all.

4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Not too surprising, but weird, yeah. Very sci fi

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

FB uses facial recognition … even if you are in a crowd photo that someone took and posted who you don't know !!!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You're toast now. Sorry to read the bad news.

7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

so your wife posted a picture, and someone she knows saw it. And thought you looked familiar but couldn't remember why... what is so weird about that? I don't see where the evil devil sci-fi face-recognition comes into this. You guys are getting a bit too paranoid.

P-Nutz, fretWalkr, jjudas and 3 others like this.
  8. Patton

Well, it's mostly the oddness for me as I avoid the social media stuff. Never conceived I would be recognized by a (to me) total stranger in a restaurant from an online pic my wife posted.

P-Nutz and jhundt like this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Facebook / Google keep data on those that avoid using their product as well so nobody is actually out of the loop. Maybe your face has been showing up in ads or something to get people to tag who you are so they can compile data? Paranoid...nope, they are actually doing that these days (my brother-in-law is a big wig with Facebook data gathering)

10. Patton

Eh, if my face is being used for an ad it's probably the "before" pic for some self improvement thing.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Oh, you’re on it all right. :twisted:

12. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

40 years ago, when there was no social media, you had extra prints made of your pictures, stuffed them into envelopes with letters (anybody remember those?) and sent them to friends and relatives.

Same scenario, no evil Zuckerbergian plot: "Oh, you're the guy in the pictures your wife has been sending me."

13. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Unless it was one of those pictures at the post office,there's that.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

True in this case. BUT Facebook does recognize faces and knows who you are no matter if you are on or off of it. I deleted my FB account a few years ago, did what I could to scrub all record of me on the place. Then for music-related reasons I needed to access a few pages on there. I created a fully fake account, no pics, no personal info - but I had to provide an email address so I used my work one (not the one I had used before). As soon as I joined, I had a long list of "recommended friends" - all of my family, coworkers, and lots of old friends. They knew exactly who "Buddy Holly" really was...
    There are various ways this can be and is done. You truly would have to be a hermit in a cave to escape social media's reach.

tery likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

People tag you in photo's and it's game over, decades of avoiding the new systems down the gurgler.

There is no avoiding it these days unless you can somehow avoid ever having your photo taken. Even high school pics or old pics from decades ago are uploaded and you could be tagged in them.

It's all fun and games until your face and id ends up on a lookalike illegals drivers licence etc.:eek:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  16. Patton

It'll be a moot point in a few years anyway. An online story I read recently had the author take notice of every camera he encountered in a normal day. There were a TON!

Face it, if your in a city, big or small, smile for the camera.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

There’s many group photos sitting on FB.

tery likes this.
  18. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember when FB came out. I never subscribed to it, and I probably never will.
    A couple of my wife’s friends posted my image on FB, and I found out because my wife told me. I called both of these women, and I asked them to please not post my image without asking me. They stopped.

19. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

@Patton

I don’t have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. Only TDPRI as a social medial platform.

I’ve been encountered numerous times by my wife’s coworkers whom I’ve never met before. They usually say, “hey aren’t you her(wife’s name) husband?!”

I had a few occasions in public someone approached me because they saw me on my brother’s Facebook and claimed we look alike. :eek:

20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I expect that you are a distinguished-looking gentleman with the kind of rugged good looks that a person can't forget!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.