Think I found my teacher - Country Western Swing & More

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by brogh, Aug 10, 2020.

1. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Well Guys,

After trying various courses, methods and video lessons I learned some stuff but always felt it wasn’t really “organized” you can find a ton of videos/books on particular subjects but i always felt there was something missing “Here or there”.

So during this forced period I’ve focused a bit more on getting better and looking for a teacher that gets what i need to focus on and move from there in a proficient and progressive way.

I lurked a LOT on the TrueFire streams and i still am, but I got very excited as soon as i started digging a bit in the courses available there, well .. i found this guy, Jason Loughlin, I was amazed on how much he plays and teaches all the stuff that I want to learn really good, followed a couple of videos from te courses on truefire, liked a LOT what I saw and the way he puts things and explains them.

Today i took the first private lesson and.. Let me say that this Guy is top notch.
    After a short introduction about what I’ve picked up along the way, showed what I’m able to do ( badly ) he noticed right away some stuff, some that i was aware of, some that i never realized were there.

What i liked is the way he Directed the lesson right away in a very easy and comprehensive way for me to understand, giving me some material to work in a way that let’s me play music, don’t get me wrong, i have tons of “mechanics” exercises for fixing and improving that was given to me, but there is fun stuff too.

If you guys are looking for a teacher that specializes in country/americana/Western swing stuff i really think he’s he guy for this.

He does a live stream every Thursday on YouTube, plus has quite some courses on truefire and a subscription channel.

I’ve made a point to follow all the streams as i can ask questions and get a better understanding of what we are talking about, after seeing a couple of those i decided to take a private lesson which i believe was one of the best things I’ve done recently (and not only recently )

I link a couple of streams here so that you guys can check out what we are talking about.

Streams:

NB : I have no affiliation with truefire or Jason, he’s just my new teacher (and a great one ) i really dug the experience and thought I’d share it with you guys, highly recommended.

Enjoy !

JRapp, OldPup, Smokin OP and 11 others like this.
  2. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

A great genre to dig into

brogh likes this.
  3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Awesome! I purchased four of Jason's country guitar courses through TrueFire. I have learned something from each one and continue to return to them to work through new concepts, revisit others, etc. I was on his YouTube stream the other night for country-rock rhythm. I agree that Jason is a great instructor at these guitar styles, and I have been very impressed with the quality, organization, and accuracy of the TrueFire course content...especially considering the reasonable prices!

brogh likes this.
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I looked at his stuff recently on Truefire after seeing it mentioned here. I was impressed with his country playing and instruction from that perspective. Another person at Truefire that I have been very impressed with is Howard Morgen. His style is chord melody (jazz'ish). Only one course available from him though and some books (he passed away).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. Walden

Walden TDPRI Member

Thank you for the insight. I found Jason's courses on truefire very good. I didn't see the option to have a private lesson on their site, but found it on his website. Very cool to know that theres the possibility of taking a lesson in the future...

6. JasonLoughlin

JasonLoughlin TDPRI Member

Thanks Brogh! That was a fun hang. Looking forward to the next one. Always available for lessons if anyone needs help. All the best

7. brogh

Admin Post
    Oh well :) Didn't know you were onboard ! in fact a tele meister like you was a strange thing to not have you around here ! :)

8. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

People who can play guitar like that just make me want to play kazoo...
    :cry:

9. brogh

Admin Post
    you can always learn :) i'm learning quite a lot,having time to practice and study is a issue as i work all day

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.