Think I’m Going to Get a Smaller Pedal Board

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TokyoPortrait, Sep 14, 2021.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Cos man, as a fella who goes places on trains, this thing’s getting way too heavy.

B5E3D96C-0A06-45B0-AFD6-6CFC5BEF289C.jpeg

Pax/
    Dean

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

confused gif.gif

Alamo, stormsedge and TokyoPortrait like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Just the perfect excuse to buy a bunch of mini pedals!

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Best reason to have a big pedal board and a small pedal board.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

This is my board for everything lately. I added the delay today, and now it’s totally full, so I guess I’m done.

34D2EC74-041E-4121-9CCA-4E319B98FA03.jpeg

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Fly Rig is a Beautiful Thing!!!
    Tech 21 NYC.
    UBER Portability + Incredible Tone!!!
    An intelligent decision on so many levels.

7. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

how do you like the tone corset? I’ve tried a couple (orange kongpressor, and the MXR dyna comp). Orange was way too much tinkering. And the mxr was odd. Output had to be way too high to get a good tone. But then signal was so much louder (maybe it was me. Maybe it was defective.) I’ve ran this far without one. But would love to use one at times. Added sustain, that iconic chicken picking.
    F309980C-D11A-4692-979F-7232C65C9A9F.jpeg
    my current set up that I’m very happy with. Finally got it right for me. (My buc-ees tin for picks, strap blocks, and spare goodies. Didn’t think about that being there for the Texas/Buc-ees thread.)

8. Jakedog

I love the Corset. I’ve had it over a year now. It’s a staple. I use it for light compression, and just a little bit of boost. I love the blend knob. Let’s you mix the effected and dry signal so it can be as subtle or as pronounced as you want it. It sounds great.

TokyoPortrait and Midgetje94 like this.
  9. TokyoPortrait

Hi again.

Yeah, on my way home now (most y’all be sleepin’ I be thinkin’*). Arm’s getting pulled off again. Definitely will at some stage.**

‘Fuzz / KoT / delay / modulation / looper’ should do it. Out and about the amp has reverb, and for modulation I’ll switch as I fancy between having tremolo or my new rotary speaker pedal.

That’d give me three or four distinct tones (clean, KoT Boost, KoT Overdrive + external dip switch for distortion, etc), plus fuzz, and then echoey bits and wobbly bits on top.

That’d be five pedals and a small-ish board. Not that small, but rather less than the eight plus loop switcher unit and large board like I have now.

I hesitate to reveal three Fender pedals on my board :rolleyes: but this is it at the moment. From practice today.

ED0AFF4E-D52E-403B-A28A-145F1E0CE7F9.png

Pax/
    Dean
    * sorry, been listening to Turnpike Troubadours and I speak all different now :)
    ** def. will buy a new pedal board, not def. that my arm will fall off…

Jakedog, stormsedge and Midgetje94 like this.
  10. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

I love turnpike troubadours. Love those fender effects as well. Very solid and versatile pedals. My pic I posted. I recently cut down my board to. Was packed full. Had more drives than needed. Two delays (one designated for slapback. Cut it back to what I used. Didn’t care to get a smaller board. So found some Velcro patches to fill voids.
    008FAB5B-D267-4410-846D-E2517E76A8EC.jpeg
    Old set up. Board was super heavy. Used 2 power supplies. Finally realized I needed to simplify lol.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  11. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Yeah. Today for example, over two hours & actual playing (not setting up / messing around), I only used the pedals I named before (fuzz / KoT / delay / rotary speaker pedal / looper). Basically the same as last time iirc.

Figure that’ll do. I think this every time, but never act on it. Time to get real I think.

Also, swapping things in and out occasionally will give new ‘sonic periods,’ which might prompt being a little different / more creative.

Oh, and spent the first hour or so today cowboy chording it due to Turnpike Troubadours, before returning to form with fuzzed out droning riff-age (all sounded terrible, but buckets loads of fun).

Pax/
    Dean

Midgetje94 likes this.
  12. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Submitted for your approval:
    B347FB2B-7E89-4F53-BE03-1CAE56326B97.jpeg

Pedals are super fun, so I will never besmirch anyone wanting to buy more or swap them. But I keep going back to the ME-50. For the cost of two pedals, I use about 11-12 on here.

One power supply, one cord in, one cord out. Light, pretty compact, reliable. Setup like pedals, no menus to scroll. More playing, less mucking about. Goes in a small duffel bag with my cables (and amp head! Quilter). Sounds great.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  13. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

IMG_0115.jpg IMG_0116.jpg
    The cable routings messy, but I love being able to fit it in the case!

Blue Bill, JRtele, FortyEight and 4 others like this.
  14. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

You do realize, don’t you, that a small board on this Forum usually means 8 to 12 pedals? LOL!

15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a small one that holds 5 pedals. It is sized to fit in this tool bag I had.

IMG_5447.JPG IMG_5452.JPG

Treynor, nedorama and TokyoPortrait like this.
  16. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I no longer have a “big” board. It was twice the size of the board below with the HX Effects and FlyRig. It did basically the same thing, but was bigger, heavier, less flexible - I don’t miss it. I have a medium and a small now. The medium one is ultra flexible and powerful, the small one can easily do 90% of what I use the medium board for and the other 10% is nice to have, rather than need to have. I have used the FlyRig on its own, and it’s passable, but it’s kinda dry - even with the reverb and delay.

8C1C0B2A-1C45-4AC9-850E-B8CFB1D129C1.jpeg image.jpg

Treynor and TokyoPortrait like this.
  17. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

I used to run a volume pedal. Found ways around it. And cut it loose. Being the biggest bulkiest one at the time.

but gotta ask. What’s your logic running 2?

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  18. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Less is more .

19. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

I really like phaser and univibe sounds, but in the last years I used them only for one or two songs, when I played concerts.

I own a Vox Stomplab it's pretty small and its phaser and univibe sounds are o.k. but I never used the other sounds (ampsimulation, overdrive...) and I never liked its typical mutieffects look.

So I painted it now with hammer paint and put a black faceplate on it, because I like the look of 60s style pedals.

I have now three pedals in one (phaser, univibe and tuner) and I saved a bit of space on my pedalboard. Even though I put a faceplate on the display I can still use the 3 LED's to tune my guitar. It works great to check the tuning between songs (I only use standard tuning).

Attached Files:

20. Jakedog

He can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that most likely one is a volume, and one is an expression pedal for parameters in the HX unit. Or possibly they both are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.