Things your parents won't eat but you will, or vice versa

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RetroTeleRod, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That reminds me of my childhood. My Dad was a butcher before a linesman, technician then communications manager and we often killed our own.
    I cut and dressed my first chook at age ten. We actually used to fight over the heart, liver, kidneys and giblets in the soup made from it. Ate chicken hearts and livers on a stick with a Saudi prince in Thailand many years later. He was surprised to see a westerner eat such food. Nice guy, he even allowed me to talk to his daughter.
    No such thing as a hamburger chain til 1972 in my town/city.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Otherway round, my folks eat giblets and tripes but i don t really like those.
    I like hot sauce / peppers, they don t understand why i put tabasco on my eggs.

RetroTeleRod and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

When I was a kid there were plenty of mealtime staples that my parents insisted on forcing me and my siblings to eat. Among the worst of those were calf's liver, ham loaf, succotash, canned corn, and Mrs. Paul's Fish Sticks.

As an adult I've adopted a mostly wild-caught-sustainable seafood and organic vegetarian diet with an occasional meal using certified organic chicken or beef. My Dad passed away 4 years ago, but my Mom is still doing ham loaf, canned corn and succotash. She's 91 years old, so I guess as bad as those things taste to me, they're not necessarily lethal. When we visit her we bring our own food.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

We all pretty much eat whatever.

However, I do remember my Dad talking about eating calf brains scrambled with eggs when he was growing up.
    I guess, given the opportunity, I'd try it but not too sure I'd enthuse about it afterwards like he would.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

My wife who is a Cree from Saskatchewan loves rabbit brains. Her and her siblings would fight over who got to suck out the brains. I suppose there are worst foods out there. Probably tastes like chicken.

RetroTeleRod and Harry Styron like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.