Things to Quit Saying

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Not really for me. But I have a Army Ranger buddy. Apparently a big morale chant they use in training is “Rangers never say surrender.” Which I get and applaud. I always played Cheap Tricks “Surrender” around him. And he’d always give me a funny look.
There's a football(soccer) team in Glasgow called Rangers, who are constantly saying "no surrender".
Mind you they're referring to the siege of Derry in 1689.

For the record, I support the other Glasgow team.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
A curated vest, I hope.
No fast fashion vests allowed.
One made by a guy with sleeve tattoos and an Edwardian beard, in some gentrified part of a previously heavy industrial town, who also makes hickory shafted scythes from bicycle parts.

I recommend Etsy as a resource.
Ugh, I cannot abide ready to wear vests. Put that back on the rack if crawled from.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Another one that bugs me is "unpack". As in "there's a lot to unpack here..."

Unpack had (still has?) a fairly specific meaning in computer jargon (I seem to remember "Pack" and "Unpack" commands). I think it is one of those words that a "news" outlet used, and every reporter/talking head/political spokesperson in the business started using it.

<Edit> Same with "Circle Back".

Last edited:

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
  • The childish habit of picking out the cherries (or other favoured tidbits) from a cherry cake, leaving the rest of the cake behind. The term is used colloquially to suggest an effort to secure only the most attractive parts of something specific, leaving behind the unattractive parts. The equivalent in German is Rosinenpicken – raisin picking.
It has been around longer than basketball.... in basketball, cherry picking is when a guy doesn't play defense, he hangs around midcourt in hopes that his teammate will rebound and throw him a long pass for an easy layup and easy points.

the pale comes from old england and they are, as we know, the verticals on a fence... so, it means beyond the wall... or past acceptability
Ah, so probably the same root as , say, Spanish "palo" (pole). I do have some vague memory of the phrase with reference to basketball, but I believe it referred to somebody ignoring the task at hand (playing defense), similar to "wool gathering". What I don't see is that picking cherries involves ignoring perfectly good cherries because of some prejudice, which is how the phrase is inevitably used with reference to data and such. No do I see that selecting cherries is qualitatively different from choosing lug nuts or pruning shears, the word really serves no purpose in the expression.

Edit- OK, per my etymological dictionary derives from the Latin palus (stake), via old French; thus "palisade", a wall made of poles.

Last edited:

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Build. As in "my new build".

I think it was coined or at least popularized by American Choppers.

How about let's go back to saying "project"?

Also around that time everything started to get abbreviated with a ie or y ending. Thankfully I think that's about over. Always made me think blankee or binky. Did everyone revert to age 3??? Tele is the only acceptable abbreviation like that.
I thought I was feeling a little buildy for a minute. I avoided the woodshop and it went away.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
PIN number is redundant, personal identification number number

1653001578758.png