Things to Quit Saying

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
It may be just me, but I've noticed more and more grownups turning the gerund "-ing" into "-een."

For example, instead of "it's snowing," the sound comes out as "it's snoween."

Or "good morneen."

Even talking heads in the media are doing this. They sound like third graders :oops:

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Says someone who apparently hasn't picked cherries for their grandmother. You have to select carefully when you're trying to get the same size, color and ripeness for pies and especially canning.
That does nothing to make it relevant. Usually when you pick (ie select) anything it's for some reason, why not cow picking or guava picking? Anyway, the expression doesn't mean that you're selecting for quality, it means that you're ignoring perfectly good facts because they don't fit your agenda. And it's still not grammatical; you don't say you're cherry picking, you say you're picking cherries.
Uniformity in cherries is far less important when using them for pies or canning than for eating them out of hand; in neither case is size of much importance.

Doctor of Teleocity
My Stepmother was brilliant, with a razor sharp wit. I remember in the early ‘80’s, we took all the loose change we’d collected in this big jug, rolled it up, took it to the bank to get bills, and went out to eat. After the server brought out the food, before leaving, he said “Enjoy.”

After he had gotten out of earshot, she muttered “Don’t you tell me to enjoy.” Hahahahaha.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Sadly it's a Kiwi thing as well:

"It will be so awesome if you come over and jam with me......yeah....that will be awesome. It will be like the time we jammed before....man, that was so awesome."
And an English thing.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
One that makes me smile, rather than cringe, is when a child says ‘the (house, factory etc.)went on fire’.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
That does nothing to make it relevant. Usually when you pick (ie select) anything it's for some reason, why not cow picking or guava picking? Anyway, the expression doesn't mean that you're selecting for quality, it means that you're ignoring perfectly good facts because they don't fit your agenda. And it's still not grammatical; you don't say you're cherry picking, you say you're picking cherries.
Uniformity in cherries is far less important when using them for pies or canning than for eating them out of hand; in neither case is size of much importance.
You do realize you're arguing about a metaphor, right? I mean, why did the fox say "sour grapes"? Couldn't it just ask easily been sour cherries? Do fox even like grapes or cherries, sour or otherwise? I need to know these things.

Which brings up a peeve of mine, indirectly...

I hate it when someone refers to anything as "the proverbial" whatever. Even if it is actually proverbial, which it almost never is, I hate it.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
How about a ban on any and all things said in passive voice unless you weren't in any way involved in the situation described? I absolutely cannot stand when a person in authority says things like "mistakes were made", or "words were exchanged", or some other claptrap to try and deflect responsibility away from themselves. Dude, if you're in any authority and you were either involved or directed the situation in any capacity, IT'S YOUR FAULT. Own it and get down to solving the problem instead of some lazy off-handed quip to the concerned public that's intended to save face, but instead makes you look even more like the south end of a north-bound mule.

Great googly-moogly...

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
this thread is AWESOME!!!!!.... I'm mean everything is so darn AWESOME these days...

even the banal and ordinary becomes AWESOME on TV....

How AWESOME is that?... ;)

Sadly it's a Kiwi thing as well:

"It will be so awesome if you come over and jam with me......yeah....that will be awesome. It will be like the time we jammed before....man, that was so awesome."
That's awful, innit.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
You do realize you're arguing about a metaphor, right? I mean, why did the fox say "sour grapes"? Couldn't it just ask easily been sour cherries? Do fox even like grapes or cherries, sour or otherwise? I need to know these things.

Which brings up a peeve of mine, indirectly...

I hate it when someone refers to anything as "the proverbial" whatever. Even if it is actually proverbial, which it almost never is, I hate it.
I realize that it could be a metaphor, but it's a tortured and nonsensical one. The fox said sour grapes because it is common to encounter underripe grapes in a bunch; he also used acceptable grammar in doing so, he did not speak of sour graping. Cherries have absolutely nothing to do, either literally or metaphorically, with prejudicial exclusion of valid information.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I realize that it could be a metaphor, but it's a tortured and nonsensical one. The fox said sour grapes because it is common to encounter underripe grapes in a bunch; he also used acceptable grammar in doing so, he did not speak of sour graping. Cherries have absolutely nothing to do, either literally or metaphorically, with prejudicial exclusion of valid information.
Ok then.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
What the heck is this thread about again?

Like, like, I’m a team member! We get her done! I, I, I, I’m entitled to whatever I want! Have a nice day, because tomorrow never knows. To be honest, it is what it is.

With all due respect, the fact of that matter is, I’m just touching’ the bases with y’all!

Yesterday, I was trying to think outside the box, but I pushed the envelope too far, and I raised the bar!!!!!