Things to Quit Saying

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
There are so many- my real bugaboo is the use of "genius" as an adjective, which has become so common that dictionaries have had to acknowledge it. For my official entry, however, I'll go with "cherry picking", as in "cherry picking data"; what the devil do cherries have to do with it? You're data (or perhaps datum) picking.
Says someone who apparently hasn't picked cherries for their grandmother. You have to select carefully when you're trying to get the same size, color and ripeness for pies and especially canning.;)

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
1) Person of interest
2) Presumedly when it should be presumably
3) Supposably when it should be supposedly
4) SMOT (acronym for some self-important *****'s command, See Me On This)

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Mainly, well, like, every other word, like, is like, like.

‘Can I get……..’. No, you stay round you’re side of the counter and I’ll get it, it’s my job.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Hilarious! I absolutely love malapropisms.

Years ago I had a supervisor publish a memo wherein he used the term, "hurting cats." He had never seen the metaphor herding cats in writing, so he didn't realize it referred to the accomplishment of a difficult task. He thought it was actually about causing physical injury to domesticated feline species. What a goob.
Had a French colleague who sometimes struggled a little with English. He always put expletives at the end of a sentence and once accused the team as (best read with a French accent) ‘running around like chickens wivout ‘ats’ as opposed to headless chickens!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
‘It’s not rocket science’, when you’re talking about wallpapering the front room, mowing the lawn, fixing the wobbly table leg………….anything but working on a Saturn rocket in the garage. Of course it isn’t!

Last edited: