Things to Quit Saying

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
So, let's say you see a group of ducks (technically a flock if on land, a flight if in the air or a raft if swimming). Do they lose their identities and just become a group? "Group" is collective noun, "ducks" is a plural common noun, "of" is a syncategorematic word that links group to ducks (what kind of group).
“Syncategoregmatic” (stealing it, though)

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Like.
Literally.
Yo.
Dude.
TO-tally.
And a certain cuss word starting with the letter after "e."

Minimizing these obsessive tics--and using that after-"e" word more judiciously--would create space for using a lot more of the words available to and needed by us.

Definitely.

Last edited:

trevorus

Tele-Meister
I don't know if anyone has addressed this in this relatively long forum, but I used to have a podcast. I did the editing and I decided to try and keep the flow sounding good, so I reminded the awkward pauses, and the "um" "uh" and such. I got to where I could recognize them in the waveform in my recording software.

That really trained me to remove them from my lexicon, because it got really annoying editing all that out.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I started but about half way through it felt too much like work! 😂

...............................................................................................

So, going forward I'm going to be buying bespoke guitars. At the end of the day, I've bought so many Fenders, got all excited but when they dropped I was ultimately disappointed right?

I mean even cherry picking a good one and what not, didn't help. I had a convo with the bloke in the shop and he recommend me to go down this route.

So I pulled the trigger on a very unique guitar. I jumped on it as soon as I saw it and well... me likey, they knocked it out of the park. So I dodged the bullet this time, the whole entire thing is amazing. It really has been a game changer..... if that makes any sense? It blows everything out of the water and plays like butter.

I still love me some telecasters but ever since 'castergate' basically, to tell the truth it's literally only the pups that I really miss.

Here's the thing, I feel like it makes me play better.... you know what I mean?

Mike drop.
Satire writ large!

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
“It is what it is” also annoys me!
I worked with a guy that would make errors (that we'd point out), not fix them, and when too late to fix* would shrug and say that. (*we sometimes had a chance to run early prototypes free if there was space on someone else's batch, not real production(!))

“Nip it in the butt”

edit to add
Our CFO, who was exceptionally skilled in her position & respected throughout the organization, once deployed this gem in a meeting. For many of us it was a real struggle to contain ourselves.
Mixed metaphors could be a "whole 'nother" thread.
I have relative that grew up with parents that didn't speak English first, and they have a ton of these.

There's a manager I worked for that kept a list of good ones though. A favorite, intended one:
"Wait til the other shoe hits the fan."

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I worked with a guy that would make errors (that we'd point out), not fix them, and when too late to fix* would shrug and say that. (*we sometimes had a chance to run early prototypes free if there was space on someone else's batch, not real production(!))

I have relative that grew up with parents that didn't speak English first, and they have a ton of these.

There's a manager I worked for that kept a list of good ones though. A favorite, intended one:
"Wait til the other shoe hits the fan."

My favorite intended one is, "It ain't rocket surgery".