Things to Quit Saying

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
TL; DR

Well, I read a lot of it.

As far as I'm concerned, "like" began with Maynard G. Krebs on the Dobie Gillis TV show in the late 1950s. The Maynard character talked like (the scriptwriters thought) beatniks talked.

Most of the stuff posted here I can tolerate, although beginning a sentence with "so" or "I mean" can be a bit grating.

What bugs me is people using the word "acronym" to describe initials that are not really pronounceable. "FEMA" is a acronym. You can pronounce it. Or "MASH" (or M*A*S*H).

"TDPRI" is not an acronym.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
this thread is AWESOME!!!!!.... I'm mean everything is so darn AWESOME these days...

even the banal and ordinary becomes AWESOME on TV....

How AWESOME is that?... ;)
This one made me smile. "Awesome" might be quintessentially Australian, though of course trends travel. There's a British commedian, Bill Bailey, who uses it to demonstrate the fundamental difference between Australian and British approaches to life. I'm paraphrasing, but he says something like:

Ask an Australian how he's doing and he'll say "Awesome, mate." "Oh, yeah? What are you doing today?" "Oh, picking up stones in the street mate, gonna be awesome."

Ask a Brit how they're doing and they'll say "Not TOO bad". It could be worse, but it's not TOO bad. Not quite as bad as it might have been. He's funnier than that, but you get the idea.

Sorry to hijack the thread. :)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
this thread is AWESOME!!!!!.... I'm mean everything is so darn AWESOME these days...

even the banal and ordinary becomes AWESOME on TV....

How AWESOME is that?... ;)
Guilty of saying 'awesome', 'this absolutely rocks!' and 'fantastic', too much.

But that's how I usually feel about something I really like. ( like a pedal/guitar/amp, or a good gig...)

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
A thing can’t be “very unique.” If there’s one of it, it’s unique. If there’s more than one, it’s not unique at all. And “enormity” doesn’t mean “enormousness.” And if you "could care less" it means that you do in fact care, even if it's just a little bit.

I'm totally going to say "casting nasturtiums" now, though.

Boris Von Teufel

TDPRI Member
Ending a sentence with "so..." SO FINISH YOUR THOUGHT!!! When I encounter someone with this affliction, I finish their sentence for them. One of my technicians was tasked with dropping power to 30+ vendors in a ballroom this week. During a break he said to me "This is taking a lot longer than I thought it would and I'm supposed to meet my girlfriend later, so..."
Naturally I finished his sentence with "so you better work a little faster if you want to meet up with her."

Also, stop saying "amazing." It's overused by people with poor vocabulary and no creativity. It's in every commercial. Previously I worked with a marketing group and one of the "writers" constantly used amazing to describe our products. We were shooting 60 second spots and she used amazing 7 times in 60 seconds. 7 TIMES! I got her a thesaurus as a birthday gift with all references to "amazing" redacted. I doubt that she got the message.