Things to Quit Saying

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Drive a bus load of high school females to their soccer match sometime. I'm almost certain that EVERY THIRD WORD, that comes out of them is 'like'. I sit up there, running the bus down the road, and invariably start counting how many times they can utter that word in a single spoken sentence..two?...three?

"It's, like, when my mom, like, goes shopping...she, like, never buys any, like, frosted flakes"

Oh my God

Just imagine what @John Backlund would hear if the bus was about to crash.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
“Utilize” is not the intelligent person’s version of “use”.
+1 on “reaching out”. Everyone I work with uses that phrase and they’re pushing me towards psychopathy.
Moving forward, going forward, talk about used and abused.
The inappropriate use of ellipses at the end of a sentence…makes me crazy(er)
Thanks for allowing me to vent. Much better now o_O

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
you ok? some of these new tv shows, every other line is someone saying "You ok? You ok? You ok?"
like - the whole world is not made of things that are all like other things.
again - I heard you the first time.
saying pacific when the correct word is specific. "I was very pacific." What? You mean you are from Hawaii?

and please avoid starting a fight with me by saying "Milk's got more!" I can't believe the grammar police didn't crush the life outa that one decades ago.

Kiwi_Neil

Tele-Holic
'Go ahead'.....and 'went ahead' are so redundant and it's an annoying habit that some people have.

"I went ahead and bought some new strings today, so now I'm going to go ahead and string up my guitar. I'll just go ahead and clean it before I string it up though.

So I went ahead and got some clean rags, and now I'll go ahead and give it all a good clean. When that's done I'll go ahead and open the packets and get on with the job.

Now that it's done I'm really glad that I went ahead and cleaned the guitar first as it all looks so good now. I'll just go ahead and stretch the strings, then I'll go ahead and play a bit for you to listen to."

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Reach out.

Thank you for your service.
Reach out! I'm so sick of hearing that. It reeks of someone repeating something they heard on a television show.

Especially when I hear it around here, I think "This is the Midwest! Not the Hollywood imagined version of New York City! Stop it!"

kctelegas

TDPRI Member
Unpack had (still has?) a fairly specific meaning in computer jargon (I seem to remember "Pack" and "Unpack" commands). I think it is one of those words that a "news" outlet used, and every reporter/talking head/political spokesperson in the business started using it.
I first heard this one on an NPR show. Then I heard it on every NPR show.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
An older one that still gets on my nerves every single time I hear it: people calling a problem an issue. They are not the same thing.

My kids like to say singular as an adjective when they should say single when referring to a quantity of one.
singular is an adjective…