Things to do in Buffalo, South Dakota, Pop: 320, when...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Feb 28, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

...your motel kicks you out at 10:00 AM, and you don't pick up your group until 3:00 PM.

#1....look about and assess your situation...nothing to the front....
    IMG_20200228_113248335_HDR.jpg

Not much more to the rear....
    IMG_20200228_112729702.jpg

#2....Stare at your shoes, make mental note to self to buy new ones...and yet again realize what a worn out, nasty, POS this old VanHool bus is. It looks like 'ass', rides like a lumber wagon, and when on a fairly rough highway, sounds like it has a ten inch layer of loose crescent wrenches in the luggage bays But, it seems to run well otherwise, and will likely get me home tonight, so that's a positive thing...probably.
    IMG_20200228_114732930.jpg

#3...Stare at the sky, be thankful that you're not stuck in another f#$@ing blizzard out here in the middle of nowhere...
    IMG_20200228_114751266.jpg

#4....Marvel at the tiny size of this place on the GPS, so remote and far from civilization...and ponder how things might have turned out had I stayed in college and earned a degree in something marketable in the real world.
    IMG_20200228_114820470_HDR.jpg

#5....Oh, Yeah!...remember that, amazingly, you had the foresight to bring along a guitar to practice with, and just MAYBE get down those lyrics for 'Mr. Bojangles' that you've been having a mental block about for months.
    IMG_20200228_115127969.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you're saying there is always much to be grateful for.. and I agree!

A beautiful day.. enjoy each moment.

3. John Backlund

Thank you, but don't read too much into my blatherings, I have to wade in the kiddie pool when it comes to deep thinking.

Smokin OP likes this.
  4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

This is a cool post. What type of "group" are you picking up? I really curious.

Are you picking up 50 fun starved bachelorettes and taking them to Billings Montana?

Is this happening????

[​IMG]

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

great choice of shoes! I have those!

Did you grab some coffee at mobile joe? that would be my first stop. That and I would walk every street... then you can add it to your claims... I have walked the entire breadth of Buffalo, SD

ravindave_3600 and John Backlund like this.
  6. John Backlund

Wow! small world, indeed!

No coffee at Mobile Joe, but I had a great late breakfast at the #3 Saloon and Cafe, two eggs, over medium, thick-ass slab of ham, 'cripsy' hash browns, two slices of French toast substituted for regular toast, and of course, two rather watery cups of small town cafe coffee. Quite excellent, by the way. I had my waitress....uh...I meant to say 'wait person' (I sometimes forget what century I'm in), split the $9.50 change from a $20 with the cook. What they say about me is true, I'm a regular 'Prince of a fellow' if ever there was one.

elihu, haggardfan1 and getbent like this.
  7. John Backlund

Not in this life. I deadheaded up here late yesterday morning to pick up and transport the Harding County (that would be the High School in Buffalo) girl's basketball team...all eleven of them, plus their two coaches, in a 56 passenger tour bus, and drive them 130 miles east of here to the equally tiny town of Dupree, on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation, for a game (which they soundly lost), and returned them to Buffalo later last evening.

Today, after spending the night in Buffalo's only motel, I will then load up the Harding County boy's basketball team, and transport them 55 miles Eastward for a game at Bison, South Dakota, bring them back to Buffalo, then finally head back to the bus company garage in Spearfish, SD, where I will drop off the bus and return the last 35 miles home using the company Hyundai shuttle car. I should be home by midnight, maybe eleven.

So today, in short, I'm going to Bison, SD from Buffalo, SD, then back to Buffalo, SD from Bison, SD....then home.

With all those 'Buffalo/Bison' named towns out here, you'd think they'd have a few of those big shaggy critters laying around...but I've seen nary-a-one.

ravindave_3600 and studio1087 like this.
  8. B-side

B-side NEW MEMBER!

My wife says Blossoms and Brew is pretty good. She's eaten there. I've only stopped at the Conoco station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John Backlund and getbent like this.
  9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Race ya to the bus:)

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Kinda reminds me of Letterman, in what I consider his heyday: "...from the home office in Spearfish, South Dakota..." :)

ravindave_3600 and John Backlund like this.
  11. John Backlund

Well, sometimes I need to take a few moments and remind people that, yes, even though I am a world famous designer of a number of incredibly beautiful....and odd, stringed instruments, I often feel the need to just 'get out there' and mingle with the common folk of this great nation I am blessed to live in. Think of it as a version of 'undercover boss', where I infiltrate the unwashed masses in their workaday lives and witness, first hand, their struggles of daily survival. In this case, what better conveyance to use than a socially stealthy old tour bus? I think if it as a sort of human duck blind that I can park almost anywhere and observe the people's movements through the giant, tinted windows of this well-worn, rolling highway vagabond.

That, and I still need to supplement my social security checks with some sort of part-time, semi-gainful employment.

12. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I first thought I stayed here once in the 90's, then realized I was in Buffalo Wyoming instead, at the juncture of I-25 & I-90. Never mind.

13. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

My BIL drove a bus for a few years after retiring. They treated him well and he loved the people and places. Insert aphorism here: There is always one bad one in the bunch. He liked the windshield time, not so much the down time. You know, when you need sleep/rest but can't get it.

He also said it beat driving a concrete mixer.

14. John Backlund

I drove a cement truck maybe ten years ago.....for a week.

15. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

I was going to say that I'd bet that I'm the only one here besides John who has been to Buffalo S.Dak and then I saw Getbent's post. It's not the kind of place where there's any need to ask for directions. If you can't see it, it ain't there.

Is the town also sometimes known as "Buffalo Gap"?

16. John Backlund

No, Buffalo Gap is South of Rapid City, about a mile east of SD hwy 79. It's not too far from Hot Springs.

17. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I was going to suggest grabbing a beef on ‘wick with horseradish. Wrong Buffalo. Sorry.

18. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Then, I stand corrected. I was thinking of Buffalo Gap. (I was born in Hot Springs). Guess I missed out on a visit to the "city" of Buffalo. Another thing to add to my bucket list I guess.

19. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I was raised in the eastern part of S.D. and had to look up Buffalo. That is in the sticks. I see the median home price is $84,300 though. And oddly the median age is 35.

And I see that the OP could have gone to the local karaoke bar. :eek:

20. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The telltale brown stuff on your shoe tells us you went kicking buffalo pies (chips?)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.