1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Things that make you feel glad that you are old ...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Obsessed, Jan 23, 2018.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

In 1971, I bought John Denver's Poems, Prayers & Promises album. I was 17 years old. One line in the title song has always stood out to me: "It turns me on to think of growing old."

I felt that way about it even at the time. Especially at the time. It was all in front of me then. Perhaps that one line in context will help explain it.

The changes somehow frightens me, still I have to smile.
    It turns me on to think of growing old.
    For though my life’s been good to me, there’s still so much to do.
    So many things my mind has never known.
    I’d like to raise a family, I’d like to sail away
    And dance across the mountains on the moon.

I actually did look forward to growing older. I knew I wanted to find a girl to spend my life with, and to raise a family. About 6 months later, I met the girl; we were high school sweethearts, and I proposed to her right out of high school. We were married almost exactly 2 years after that album came out, when I was 19 and she was 18. These kids here...

Six months after we married, my wife conceived our firstborn. Two more children followed. I always made a conscious effort to not put career or possessions above my family. We didn't have much, from a first world perspective, anyway, but we thrived, and we loved each other.

Now, come April, my wife and I will have been married 45 years. Our three kids are now all in their 40s, productive citizens with families of their own. They've given us 18 grandchildren (a dozen biologically, a half dozen adopted), with one more on the way.

So you ask me what makes me glad to be old? ^^^This.^^^

To sum up...1 wife (for 45 years), 3 kids, 18.5 grandkids. Add to that the fact that I have 10 guitars and play 3 gigs a week. Yup...I'm a blessed man.

2. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Millenials make me glad I'm old. I know that's a broad stroke with a fat brush, and I know there are millions of really sharp millenials, but the ones who are not sharp vastly outnumber the sharp ones, and they are going to be really pitiful when they have to learn the ways of the world before they run things. Blame it on the boomers. We gave our kids damn near everything they wanted and they gave their kids everything. Hence, we have a selfish, spoiled generation.

As far as smoking on airliners goes: There was a perfectly good reason for confining smokers to the rear of the plane. Pressurized airplanes are not leakproof. They just minimize leaks in the fuselage, and constantly replenish the air leaked out with bleed air from the engines. There are also cabin pressure dump valves in the rear of the airplane which automatically open if the pressure gets too high. Air flows from front to rear in a jet, so they put the smokers in the back and their smoke goes overboard through the dump valves. Or so the theory goes.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

There were shootings back in the 60's, just not in the school itself although there were a lot of fights when I was growing up. One that stands out was a group of teens that were shotgunned in their car but at night, not at school. What we have now is widespread dissemination of news and in order for the news establishment to continue to make money, they have to compete by being more sensationalist than the next paper (or site).

Carl

2 Headed Goat and Obsessed like this.
  4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Well, the alternative ain't all that great.

:D

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

You are definitely a blessed man. Congrats in every way. You are showing us the way to grow old gracefully.

Lake Placid Blue and LGOberean like this.
  6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Wisdom is just so damn expensive.

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think truth and wisdom are free: speaking either can be an expensive hobby

Lake Placid Blue and Obsessed like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Getting banned is free :D

Lake Placid Blue and Piggy Stu like this.
  9. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad I made it into my mid 60s- sadly some of my friends didn't quite get there. I have confidence in kids these days and they will steer the world in the right direction.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m glad I grew up when I did.
    The 60s-70s were a great trip.
    I’m even gladder about who my sisters and I were born to.
    We had great, loving, sane, responsible parents.
    Being USAF brats, we saw, and knew a bit of the world.
    Music was fresh, vibrant, and everywhere.
    We were poor, but never felt like it.
    I’m grateful for the great (lady) loves of my life.
    I’m equally grateful to be unattached, now.
    Turns out the wives and GF’s were right.
    I am selfish.
    My music life has never been better.
    I hope I’m not delusional, but I feel like I am at the top of my game.
    Life’s beautiful, truly!

11. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

Its a bit like having a "peeing section" in a swimming pool!!

Rowdyman, jackinjax and Nickadermis like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's called the swim-up bar :oops:

bazmusicman and Nickadermis like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Sounds like a very interesting life. Could write a book about it.

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Isn't that what the high diving board is for?

bazmusicman likes this.
  15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I would use a different term than glad or enjoying getting older. I've come to respect it and appreciate what my life's experiences have taught me and I look forward now to passing some of that on.

Even acquiring the grace to accept all of my disappointments has been worthwhile in my own growth as a man and if by sharing them they can help others then my path has been cleared for me.

16. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

What's a POAST? :confused::lol:

17. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

While I appreciate much of what is available to day and there is much I DON'T miss,
    I'm glad I came from a time & place where..

I played sports before 10 year olds were told to "specialize" and making a H.S. team required years of camps and preparation.
    I marched drum corps when it was a community activity open to any one regardless of financial position and talent.
    No one busted you chops for watching TV, and there was free TV worth watching.
    I read comic books..not "graphic novels"
    There was a hobby store , book store and record shop in every good sized town.
    There was one model of Tele, Strat, P-bass etc. They were aspirational and getting one was a rite of passage.
    Anyone w/ a tool box , a shop manual and patience could keep a car on the road.
    Attending college did not require taking on the debt of a small principality, ditto buying a house or car, or attending a professional sporting event or concert.
    Your doctor would spend more than five min w/ you, and would say things like "get dressed and step in to my office." where he would actually explain what the situation was.
    When you played a game it involved sitting at a table w/ friends and family and interacting.

18. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

I'm glad I raised and educated three beautiful daughters who, as adults, are leading admirable and successful lives.
    I'm glad I had a strong career that has left me creatively gratified and comfortable as I approach seventy.
    I'm glad I can now work only when I feel like it, only when a truely compelling assignment comes down the pike.
    I'm glad I have my health and intellect intact.
    And finally…
    I'm glad to now have the time to play guitar nearly as much as I'd like.

Ben-Zion, dr_tom and Obsessed like this.
  19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Oh and used guitars were just that, used guitars..

Ben-Zion, Tony474 and Obsessed like this.
  20. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I'm glad that I'm alive and healthy at 64. No prescription drugs, and I think I've been to the Dr. maybe 5 or 6 times in the last 30 year's.

(I've always eaten superfood's, stayed away from fat's, stayed trim... and excercised daily.)

I haven't minded getting older, so far.

And, in that sense, I'm fortunate.

RedRiverII, sean79 and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.